Chapala.com Webboard

Lifestyle Choices Lakeside

Living style in the Ajijic village area seems to be preferred over other

locations.  What seems to be the motivating aspects of choosing a lakeside area?

Quiet bucolic locations seem valued less. 

Please share any suggestions to assist in choosing a location at lakeside.  Your own home location/site

and its advantages and or disadvantages.

Need assistance choosing lifestyle location in lakeside.  And am concerned with finding a happy

medium between high density population vs. water and environmental advantages of an area.

Is Ajijic the location, location, location guideline to use ?

Thanks

Our home is in Chapala Haciendas,  about 2km up the hill towards Guadalajara from Soriana in Chapala. . There is no place we would rather live because we value our peaceful, almost country-like lifestyle. We are still within a short drive of everything, including the airport.

We mainly stay east of Walmart unless we have business that can't be accomplished without a trip through what has become rather nightmarish traffic. If we must travel west, we usually go early in the day,  but the other day we decided to have lunch at the Smoke House in West Ajijic. The traffic was so bad we gave up in La Floresta, turned around and went back to San Antonio for lunch at Mario's. 

You couldn't pay me to live in what my partner refers to as "México lite", the loud, overcrowded and overgringofied pueblo of Ajijic. To each his own in that regard, but I have never liked it. I love Chapala because I can walk the wide sidewalks and lovely malecon, often without running into any other extranjeros or hearing anything but Spanish being spoken. That's a real pleasure in my book.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Apachewoman said:

Is Ajijic the location, location, location guideline to use ?

NOBODY can tell you what's best for YOU my dear. Only you know the answers to what matters most to you in all aspects. Suggest you try and talk to people who live in some of the different areas, with well-chosen questions that pertain to YOUR preferences.    "One person's choice is another's horror"... or words to that effect.

6 years of living in Upper Ajijic and we're almost ready to throw in the towel and move to Joco or Chapala.  The last week or so has been horrendous trying to drive anywhere during the day for shopping, appointments of one sort or another or simply meeting friends.  I guess the Snowbirds are starting to arrive, which is to be expected, but that, coupled with more and more Mexicans, local and Tapatios, having motor vehicles generates a congestion beyond compare!

More and more rude, arrogant and abusive gringos, especially at the local restaurants, also seems be the growing trend in Ajijic.  Chapala seems a more vibrant town, frequented by local families, especially in the evening hours, where I can stroll along the lovely Malecon and say, "Hola" to any Mexican stranger and receive a genuine greeting in return - it used to be like this in Ajijic amongst the Gringos and Mexicans.  Sorry for portraying such a negative view of our Pueblo Magico...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tell people not to come here -- we already have too much traffic gridlock and many gringos are trying to bring their culture and rude habits on good Mexican people. 

Tell those associations like AMAR and Mex Experience to QUIT hyping Ajijic when we clearly do not have the infrastructure capabilities to handle more people

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We live in Brisas de Chapala (across the highway from  chapalence. Everything she said is how we feel about where we live. ..........

I know you do, my friend..... yet nobody could PAY me to live there! Made that decision in 1999 and have never known one reason to change... for US. That's why I still believe suggestions are good, but Apachewoman needs to make a  good list of likes/dislikes/wants/ can do without etc. and then start hoofing it around all areas.

How often is garbage collected? How reliable is water service to the house? What about pressure from the street? How often are there CFE issues? What happens in heavy rains (flooding etc)? How stable is the ground underneath? Is there a salitre problem (like there used to be in Riberas)? How do people regard other people's pets? How's the noise level?  What's the neighbourhood like on the weekends /evenings / long weekends? How would traffic affect ME and my lifestyle? And on and on and on.... many things one doesn't think of in the beginning but can be deal deal-breakers for some after the fact.  (Cincy for one, 3 replies back)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Natasha, garbage is collected 3 times a week. Water every day for 4 hours. Pressure from the street? We don't use our bomba to water our large yard and plants, we have to turn down the water to use our sprinkler or we would be watering our neighbors yard. CFE problems are minimal,  not any more than what I read in other posts. How could we have flooding problems as the Fraccionamiento in built on a downhill angle? The ground is as stable as any mountain can be.  How your house foundation was built will determine your stability. Salitre- give me a break. That has nothing to do with the Fraccionamiento it is individual problem. Pets - we have leash Bylaws and barking Bylaws.  I was on the Board for 4 1/2  years and only had one person charged for a Bylaw infraction regarding pets. Noise- it is quiet as we are out of town. No loud music from any residents,  a little highway noise on weekends but that isn't heard further up the mountain in the Fraccionamiento.  We live close to the entrance and hear it sometimes. Long weekends are just like normal weekends,  nothing different.   We are an ideal location for those that don't want to live in a city.  It takes me 7 minutes to get to Walmart.  I bet no one in West Ajijic can get there that quick due to traffic.  Please reconsider cutting down where someone chooses to live when you don't have personal experience.   You didn't complain about Chapala Haciendas.  Why pick on my home of 16 years! FYI- saying you couldn't be  paid to live in Brisas is rude and I would never say that about where anyone lives. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

While it has been "quiet" for a long time, we have seen a big uptick and a lot of construction activity and multiple solar projects going on in Brisas this past year, including nice new and renovated homes and properties of real estate agents.   Seems very positive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

While it has been "quiet" for a long time, we have seen a big uptick and a lot of construction activity and multiple solar projects going on in Brisas this past year, including nice new and renovated homes and properties of real estate agents.   Seems very positive. 

The same is true here in CH. Many beautiful new homes and plenty of renovations underway. 

• Like 3

We recently returned after a 3 year hiatus due to medical problems... We ended up purchasing the home next to the one we sold in 2019... While we totally enjoy our home, we have found that living west of Ajijic can be challenging due to the increase in traffic... Having said that, things are looking up as new businesses open in our area. We now can reduce our trips through the Ajijic gauntlet. 

• Like 1

My only tip/suggestion might be, don't buy a place which has a board of directors, unless you are into that sort of thing. I bought a little house in a mostly Mexican neighborhood in Ajijic and although a little noisy, I can get to the grocery store in 2 minutes or restaurant in 1, garbage pick up is daily, water reliable, connected to sewer, so no potential septic issues. IMO, 'nice homes' are nice for rich people and I ain't one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ibarra said:

Natasha, ......Please reconsider cutting down where someone chooses to live .....Why pick on my home of 16 years!......

My friend you missed the point competently. Those "questions" were meant for ANY area lakeside, and some/all apply depending on which you are considering. I'm NOT picking on your choice and I know it's perfect for you. I just know too many people who regret decisions made because wherever they opted, it turned out to be a mistake. Chill amiga 😍

• Like 1

yes the only way to know what fits you is to be here and check all the areas. I have lived in the village in Ajijic for the last 21 years. I have a large garden and it is very quiet... I would like to downsize so I have been looking at all areas including south of the lake. I cannot believe the mount of construction everywhere including the south side.. It is nuts. Also cannot believe how fast lots are going..there seem to be a race to overbuild all over the place. This area meaning the whole lakesidearea is about to be overbuilt big time.It is going to be interesting to see where all the water , sewer roads new internet connections etc are going to come from. I al a liitle scared by what I saw all over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Natasha said:

I know you do, my friend..... yet nobody could PAY me to live there! Made that decision in 1999 and have never known one reason to change... for US. That's why I still believe suggestions are good, but Apachewoman needs to make a  good list of likes/dislikes/wants/ can do without etc. and then start hoofing it around all areas.

How often is garbage collected? How reliable is water service to the house? What about pressure from the street? How often are there CFE issues? What happens in heavy rains (flooding etc)? How stable is the ground underneath? Is there a salitre problem (like there used to be in Riberas)? How do people regard other people's pets? How's the noise level?  What's the neighbourhood like on the weekends /evenings / long weekends? How would traffic affect ME and my lifestyle? And on and on and on.... many things one doesn't think of in the beginning but can be deal deal-breakers for some after the fact.  (Cincy for one, 3 replies back)

What a rude replay ! Why not "butt out" about where others live and only reply to facts about where you live.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

My friend you missed the point competently. Those "questions" were meant for ANY area lakeside, and some/all apply depending on which you are considering. I'm NOT picking on your choice and I know it's perfect for you. I just know too many people who regret decisions made because wherever they opted, it turned out to be a mistake. Chill amiga 😍

No one made you the "expert" here, why not let people make their own list, since your input was not asked for. The OP is intelligent, don't show her disrespect.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Apachewoman said:

.....What seems to be the motivating aspects of choosing a lakeside area?.....Please share any suggestions to assist in choosing a location at lakeside......

OK... now that we've generated a small s***storm, may I suggest this to YOU, Apachewoman? Take a large piece of paper, or open a document,  and make 3 columns: WANT/NEED      DON'T CARE    DON'T WANT/NEED         Take a few days, noting items as they come to mind.  Perhaps on a separate sheet you might also note things you believe are critical to you ( environmental concerns, I already know from previous p..m.'s are included here).  The rest.... either way.... are for you to come up with.

Now re-do your lists, prioritizing all. Then take a look at everywhere from Jocotepec to Vista Del Lago to Ixtlahuacan..... and  apply your standards to each. With luck, some will self-eliminate. Only then as you narrow down choices should you come back to this Board, and perhaps ask for pro's and con's of specific areas..... because there will be both regardless.... as there should be.  If you have to do that one a a time, do it!  Best of luck with your choice!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

No one made you the "expert" here, why not let people make their own list, since your input was not asked for. The OP is intelligent, don't show her disrespect.

Whoa! Interesting reactions from some people. I have no connection to any of the posters in this thread and read the "rude" comment as just someone trying to say that what suits someone perfectly might be totally wrong for someone else. I thought her list of what one might want to consider, especially for someone who doesn't know lakeside, to be very useful. There are many things we, who have been here a while, will consider but a newcomer to the area wouldn't know to ask 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I checked out the various areas including the gated ones and found a place that checked my boxes more than the others.  I like my quiet street in Ajijic Centro since the services tend to be reliable and I can walk to most things I need.  My area is mixed and my Mexican neighbors are considerate and tolerant of us Gringos. 

IMHO, it depends on how many of your boxes get "checked".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess I was fooled by the OP's  headline "lifestyle choices". My choices can be made anywhere that I hang my hat. It really doesn't matter that we have a comfy house in Barrio Lourdes,Chapala,that's only part of the equation-eh! I am now going to my newly remodeled, tranquil courtyard and partake of a fine Czech beer and a Don Pablo cigar.

pedro kertesz

finished best.jpg

leader of the pack abc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Apparently the meaning of "lifestyle choices" escapes a whole bunch of you that have nothing but real estate on your minds. I am not in a pedagogical mood for this so I suggest googling to get y'all on the right track. I will post some fotos of some of my lifestyle experiences here and it should be clear where your casa is matters not very important-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

mariachi banjer player.JPG

10730886_10152886971388060_4847813137608050075_n.jpg

legion 9 bbq 13.jpg

image0-6[1]a.jpg

delete 613a.jpg

pedro's shop.JPG

fixing gearbox a.jpg

Polar_Bear_Swim_500.JPG

aguamilpa y sa blas 015.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

some of those pictures are very old Pedro :)                                      But keep on posting funny pictures :) 

.                                   ,                 :) ,                                                                                               :)