Chapala.com Webboard

Virgin del Pilar strikes again

THe priest at the Catholic church in Riberas really loves very LOUD fireworks. When he first arrived every festival had them, but now it is mostly the Festival of the Virgin del Pilar which lasts for about a week mid October. Every evening starting around 5 pm Riberas sounds like a war zone. May I suggest we start a GoFundMe page to send him to Ukraine so he could listen to rockets for real?

• Haha 2

Hey may I suggest you just learn to live with them.  Cohetes are a part of life living in México.  Sure they are annoying, sure they are something that I too wish they would go the way of the dodo bird.  But they are part of México and I doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.  Try living in Chapala Centro.  I barely even hear them anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Hey may I suggest you just learn to live with them.  Cohetes are a part of life living in México.  Sure they are annoying, sure they are something that I too wish they would go the way of the dodo bird.  But they are part of México and I doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.  Try living in Chapala Centro.  I barely even hear them anymore.

These are a LOT louder than run-of-the-mill cohetes. I have stood near the towers and they weren't nearly as loud.

4 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Obviously you need to study history. When and where??

6 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Whilst they maybe "Part of Mexico" I would suggest that they have gotten Louder and go on Longer.. "then before". Many local Mexicans also hate the noise and the excess  spending that takes place. Much like the music at weddings, louder is better ...forget the quality of sound distortion 

• Like 1

As I posted earlier, there is a Jalisco Noise Ordinance.  If you want to do something about the noise, call the police and complain and site the Noise Ordinance.  Federal Law NOM 081 SEMARNAT de la Lay General del Equilibrio Ecological la Protection Ambient, 8...

• Haha 2

In order to get away from the sound of these cohetes so my dog won't panic during a walk, I took him to Cristiania Park in Chapala....and we could still hear them.

Those who say "learn to live with them" are correct, we really have no choice...but to like them, hell no

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Those who say "learn to live with them" are correct, we really have no choice...but to like them, hell no

We do have a choice.  It is against the law. Call the police as it is happening or go to Ecologia during business hours and report the "crime".  

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 7:37 PM, ibarra said:

ha.  so the first parade going down my street had a police car in the rear.  He drove by the truck with the guys setting off the cohotes in Saint Andrews parking lot.  Not sufficiently illegal this week I guess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

We do have a choice.  It is against the law. Call the police as it is happening or go to Ecologia during business hours and report the "crime".  

the chapala police were participating in the parade - bringing up the rear - and would have had to been deaf, dumb and blind not to see the people setting off the cohotes - and hearing them - in the first parade.  I think tonight was the third parade and didn't see a police truck - but did the first night.

Contact the Expat Liaison at the municipal offices. If everyone went with the que sera sera there would still be sewage running down the center of the streets. I am with Ibarra. The voice of the people is heard when it is loud enough!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Contact the Expat Liaison at the municipal offices. If everyone went with the que sera sera there would still be sewage running down the center of the streets. I am with Ibarra. The voice of the people is heard when it is loud enough!

Would you please provide name and contact information for the liaison.  TIA

There are many free noise/decibel level apps.  Here is the most recent information I could find regarding legal noise levels:

"Jalisco's new laws to curb noise: A progress report. - The maximum number of decibels now permitted in a residential area is 55 by day (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.) and 50 by night. In an industrial area it's 68 by day and 65 by night. By way of comparison, you could say that 50 decibels represent the sound made by a refrigerator, a water faucet or the noise level of a quiet library."

From a very thoughtful poster on Facebook;

IT'S OVER!

NO MORE COHETES UNTIL NEXT YEAR!
I just came back from the church of Our Lady of El Pilar in Riberas and some very nice ladies explained everything to me.
The feast day of Our Lady of El Pilar is October 12. The festivities start a few days before and end a few days after, depending on which day of the week the 12th falls on.
Traditionally it is a "novenario", which means they last nine days, but the last three years there have been fewer days due to the pandemic.
The cohetes usually start between 5 and 6 pm. Today they were earlier because it was the last day.
Prior to the celebrations it is possible to ask for a schedule of activities so that we can prepare. I already wrote it down a few days before in my calendar for 2023 to remember to go and ask for that schedule and post it in the group. It would be good if other people would also write it down in case I forget.
I would like to comment on something that I think is extremely important: The ladies I spoke with told me that these days they have been receiving complaints, rudeness and even serious threats. They had to call a patrol car, which was in front of the church during all the celebrations.
Among the people who approached them in these ways were some Mexicans, but most of them were expats. I asked them to understand that even though expats are bothered by the cohetes, especially because of how their pets suffer, almost all of them are respectful of our culture, although, unfortunately, those who approach them give all expats a bad name.
It is inevitable that we put up with this sort of thing in our country. We have to accept it and, if possible, prevent our pets from suffering so much.
  • Thanks 1