Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Bank that does not share info with Canada

MakeItSo

Thanks. I will give them a call. BTW I understand Intercam has some "affiliation" with Scotiabank, at least to provide fee-free ATM usage between the two. I don't know if this goes as far as sharing customer data though.
Meanwhile if anyone knows any other Mexican bank that does not share data please let me know.

4 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

Thanks. I will give them a call. BTW I understand Intercam has some "affiliation" with Scotiabank, at least to provide fee-free ATM usage between the two. I don't know if this goes as far as sharing customer data though.
Meanwhile if anyone knows any other Mexican bank that does not share data please let me know.

No affiliation with Scotia nor ATM usage. I'm with Scotia ,Alberta  and with Intercam here and to my knowledge Intercam does not have bank accounts in Canada. When you can go to a teller[Intercam] why bother with ATM although Intercam has ATM's all over Mexico. My info is not shared between the two.

10 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

It is. I lived in Ontario for 11 years, I had investments with an Australian bank as I had worked there for several years. One day CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) sent me a letter that contained print outs from my Australian Bank and asked if I had declared the interest paid. Luckily I had...

That's because you got audited is all.

19 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

It is. I lived in Ontario for 11 years, I had investments with an Australian bank as I had worked there for several years. One day CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) sent me a letter that contained print outs from my Australian Bank and asked if I had declared the interest paid. Luckily I had...

Wow, they knew you had earned it but couldn't check to see if you declared it? So they decided to just ask you? LOL

There are tax agreements between countries or not.. so te first thing to check out if there are such agreements, if there are chances that information is exchanged. 

After my husband died SS from the US asked for my bank information in Mexico and the US and the US took backthe cheks they had sent before they knew my husband had died but could not have done if the money had been in Mexico because they cannot go into the Mexican accounts.. as far as information being passed good luck..  THe US is one of the worse about putting pressure on other countries to get information.. Canada , I do not know  but I bet  that if they can get information legally they probably do. Yes asking the bank is one way to find out .

The bank I have been to , ask for nationality and id such as passport so yes they know if they have foreigners and from which country so it is not a big step to the exchange information part. My husband was a US, Mexican citizen , he opened his account as a Mexican citizen andthe bank asked if he was a bi national as they had to report US citizens that were bi national according to Bof A which is interesting since the first thing they tell you when you are nationalized is to not clain your nationality of origin. 

I was asked as well but I am French  Mexican.. although I pay US taxes and that I was not ask.. In France when I opened an account I was asked were I paid taxes so they reported to the US although I lived in Mexico... IInternational stuff gets complicated and you can never be sure of what is reported and passed on.