Chapala.com Webboard

Fossin (fosfomycin) for UTI

David77

Anyone been prescribed Fossin antibiotic here for UTI? Considering taking it, but a bit wary since the dosage amount (less) and length of time (much more) prescribed here is so different from the same drug in the US. Be curious to hear of your experience if you care to share. Thanks.

Just googled it my friend, and yes....   dose and use VERY different. ????  If it were me, I'd be asking for another opinion, or another drug option. Especially since I know the person you're considering getting it for may suffer some of the "risky side effects" due to present conditions . Drop me a note if you like. 😍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Levofloxacin 500 mg tablet rx from doctor for UTI.  

It's important to get a culture done prior to the doctor prescribing. We learned this after seeing Dr. SAM.

The culture results we received included a long list of antibiotics with the probability of each being successful in treating the infection.

This was after two other doctors, one at the VA in Texas and one here, treated my partner several times over more than a year's time. The right antibiotic the first time would have saved a lot of suffering and potential kidney damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chapalence said:

Dr. Sam recently prescribed it for a UTI involving e-coli.

2-500mg. tabs every 8 hours for 4- days.

The 24 tabs cost $772 at Farmacia Guadalajara.  We didn’t want to waste time price shopping.

Really inexpensive at Farmacia Similares. 

11 hours ago, David77 said:

Anyone been prescribed Fossin antibiotic here for UTI? Considering taking it, but a bit wary since the dosage amount (less) and length of time (much more) prescribed here is so different from the same drug in the US. Be curious to hear of your experience if you care to share. Thanks.

Regarding dosage and length of time -

Treatment for a UTI caused by E. coli

The first line of treatment for any bacterial infection is antibiotics.

• If your urinalysis comes back positive for germs, a doctor will likely prescribe one of several antibiotics that works to kill E. coli, since it’s the most common UTI culprit.
  • If a urine culture finds a different germ is behind your infection, you’ll get switched to an antibiotic that targets that germ.
  • You may also receive a prescription for a drug called pyridium, which helps reduce bladder pain.
  • If you tend to get recurrent UTIs (four or more per year), you may need to be on low-dose antibiotics daily for a few months.

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

Might consider Cipro. Can get generic. 

NEVER! Ciprofloxacin(a) is a LAST RESORT drug that even  Bayer,  original maker, warns of the terrible ( and not infrequent) side-effects. One common one is rupture of Achilles tendon.....  and in a dear friend's case that was the beginning of a LONG road to hell that only ended in the worst way.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

NEVER! Ciprofloxacin(a) is a LAST RESORT drug that even  Bayer,  original maker, warns of the terrible ( and not infrequent) side-effects. One common one is rupture of Achilles tendon.....  and in a dear friend's case that was the beginning of a LONG road to hell that only ended in the worst way.

I agree that Cipro has that potential, however levofloxacin (Levaquin,etc) is considered much riskier for tendon rupture in the over 60 population. This opinion is from conversations with multiple physicians over the years. (Almost all the floxacins have this possible risk).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, econ man said:

I agree that Cipro has that potential, however levofloxacin (Levaquin,etc) is considered much riskier for tendon rupture in the over 60 population. This opinion is from conversations with multiple physicians over the years. (Almost all the floxacins have this possible risk).

Person who suffered   ruptures in BOTH ankles was over 70.  I stand by my opinion. You've a right to yours.

12 minutes ago, ibarra said:

It is difficult to find any meds without side effects. 

Oh my dear friend, while you're right, some are FAR worse than others.

11 hours ago, chapalence said:

Regarding dosage and length of time -

The HUGE difference in recommended dosage in U.S. and in Mexico is what started this whole issue. THAT is what David 77 was initially worried about. And me too when I read it.