Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone driven to Lake Chapala from Nogales within last 3 months?

Evie

Husband and I are thinking of driving to Lake Chapala and will be entering from the Nogales, AZ entry point.  Our Kids and other family are very upset about this claiming that we will be kidnapped and or robbed.  They're even lining up Mexican friends to have a talk with us who have traveled to Mexico lately - not necessarily to Lake Chapala - and have had their money stolen and vehicles taken apart by searchers looking for valuables.

Is it all hype?  We'd love to hear of the recent experiences of driving through MX by others in this group.  Ty

My wife and I drove up to Az in August and then back down 2 weeks later going through Nogales. No problems at all unless you don't take into account a flat tire and almost hitting a horse. We stayed in Navojoa.

As mentioned always try to stay on the cuotas.

People who don't have a good insight into Mexico will and have always suggested that one will be robbed or get killed the moment they set foot in Mexico.  They, however, don't mind driving in LA, New Orleans, Chicago and other US 'hotspots'. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nogales route to Lakeside involves at least 2 nights in hotels. Laredo has none. If you were to remain in the US and travel to Laredo, actually the Columbia bridge crossing north of Laredo, that opens at 8am, you can make it to Lakeside in 11 hrs. Get a good GPS that has "North American" maps that include Mexico.

No real good reason to go all the way to Laredo just to maybe get to Chapala in one very long day of driving in Mexico.  AND it is 400 extra miles.  Another route might be down from El Paso but that too is also longer by 175 miles.

Most people, especially those who are not seasoned Mexico travelers and crossing at Nogales, will stay the first night in Navojoa... at least 4 good hotels to choose from. Then the second night in Mazatlan, either a hotel out on the 15 cuota or drive the short distance into town (my preference) for unlimited hotels. Then easily on to Chapala the last day.  All days will be 'short' for the unseasoned Mexico traveler. It is just about impossible to drive from Nogales to Chapala with only one night on the road.... in the daylight hours!..... unless doing it in the long daylight summer days and driving like a bat outa h*ll.  Can be done, but.....

• Like 4

I forgot to say that we will be starting from Idaho Interstate 15.  So we will have a few days of driving just to get to a border crossing.  It seems that Nogales was our best choice, but we're open to advice and really appreciate all that this group has given!   If you've got more, we're all ears  :)  Ty

4 hours ago, tomgates said:

If Idaho, then definitely Columbia Bridge. Make sure you have about $3000 pesos for tolls and gas. 

What town/state is Columbia Bridge in? 

And this is probably a stupid question, but does a person go to the bank to exchange USD into Pesos?  We've only flown to MX and did our money exchange after we got there.

4 hours ago, CorinneS said:

Are you an Idahoan? We are in Boise and our home is over on the south beach of Lake Chapala. :) 
No advice for driving as we always fly. 

Yes, and lived 1.5 hrs east of Boise until a few years ago.  Now we're on the eastern high-altitude side of Idaho where the winters are very cold and the snow doesn't melt until Spring :( 

Chapala's weather sounds sooo inviting.

7 hours ago, tomgates said:

If Idaho, then definitely Columbia Bridge. Make sure you have about $3000 pesos for tolls and gas. 

Again, I guess, I have to disagree with going through Laredo Tx... Colombia Solidarity crossing....coming from anywhere in the West.  For example, from Salt Lake City (south of where they live?) to Chapala:

+ through El Paso   1850 miles and 31 hours

+ through Nogales   1900 miles and 32 hours

+ through Laredo/Colombia   2025 miles and 34 hours   and almost NO freeway driving... all 'secondary' roads

I have driven all of these routes into/out of Mexico and also a few other less-traveled routes.  Personally if I were a 'newbie' at driving from the border to Chapala from somewhere north of 'Salt Lake', I would take the route that the OP originally asked about..... Nogales!  Laredo is definitely too far for no good reason IMO; El Paso is OK but from SLC to the border is a lot of non-freeway driving AND from El Paso to Chapala  is not nearly as 'easy' to navigate mainly due to determining where to stay overnight (but it too is all cuota).  Nogales is just a bit farther in miles and hours, has more freeway driving if staying on freeway until south Utah.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Evie said:

Snip..... If you've got more, we're all ears  :)  Ty

Sounds like you're driving into Mexico for the first time.  I assume that you know that one must acquire a Temporary Import Permit.... TIP.... for your automobile. Good for 180 days like your Tourist Card.... if they are still giving those out.  Requires a $400 deposit that will be refunded when you turn it and the original paperwork in leaving Mexico. You can get the TIP and your Tourist card online before you leave OR at the border.  Make sure you have a good stash of pesos for gas, tolls and motels. If you go through Nogales, there are a couple of exchange houses around the intersection of I19 and W. Mariposa Rd before you cross (use the Mariposa crossing, not downtown). After that, ATMs give the best rate.

• Like 1

If you enter from Nogales, and you get an early start, you can make it to Navojoa the first stop. There is a Best Western Del Rio on the north side of town on your right. Second night in the Mazatlan area. You will always be on 15 or 15D all the way to Guadalajara. Just after Tequila, there is the liberamento that will take you around Guadalajara to the Chapala highway where you will exit and take that to Lakeside.

Make sure you have a GPS that has maps of Mexico. Make sure the maps are updated. Just after crossing the border, make sure you stop at the stop sign or else you will pay a hefty fine! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Evie said:

What town/state is Columbia Bridge in? 

And this is probably a stupid question, but does a person go to the bank to exchange USD into Pesos?  We've only flown to MX and did our money exchange after we got there.

Columbia bridge is in Laredo, TX.  There are ATM machines at the border stops in MX for you to withdraw funds using your ATM card of choice.  If you aren't comfortable doing that yet, go to your bank in the U.S. and exchange dollars for pesos.  At least then you will be comfortable having some pesos before you leave the U.S.   

On 10/6/2022 at 6:35 AM, tomgates said:

If you enter from Nogales, and you get an early start, you can make it to Navojoa the first stop. There is a Best Western Del Rio on the north side of town on your right. Second night in the Mazatlan area. You will always be on 15 or 15D all the way to Guadalajara. Just after Tequila, there is the liberamento that will take you around Guadalajara to the Chapala highway where you will exit and take that to Lakeside.

Make sure you have a GPS that has maps of Mexico. Make sure the maps are updated. Just after crossing the border, make sure you stop at the stop sign or else you will pay a hefty fine! 

That is funny Tom, yes maybe for us gringos but everyday several times a day at a stop sign people behind us pull out and pass us running the red lights.  It happens every day.