Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw TV service

The cost of putting up a slightly larger dish is very economical in Mexico, And Remember, fast internet lakeside is not always available in every neighborhood, I'm lucky, I have 45 Mb/sec down by 10 Mb/sec up where I live.

I wish you the best on whatever you decide to do. Oh, and the 600 receiver is popular lakeside.

I just did a Google search, and this is what I got:

Shaw Direct is relayed via FSS satellites, Anik G1 and F2.
Products: Direct broadcast satellite, Pay televis...
Key people: Bradley Shaw (CEO), Paul Macle...

Shaw Direct - Wikipedia

And these two are visible in Mexico

You cannot receive any of the channels beamed by Shaw Direct from the G1 satellite in Mexico, only the channels that are still beamed from the older F2 satellite.  F1R is no longer used for Shaw Direct channels.  Fortunately, most of the channels now on the G1 are local in nature, the national broadcasts are still on the F2.

Maybe I am missing something. But I get the same channels from Vancouver and Seattle up here in the north from Shaw that I do when I am in Mexico. Yes my system was installed quite a few years ago on both Vancouver Island and in Mexico, but I get all I need and it is many many channels including East and West coast feeds of the US networks.

Nicest of all for me is that the US west coast feeds come from Seattle. Now the east coast ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX feeds come from Detroit, Michigan and Rochester, NY

I also get a lot of other US channels like CNN, FOX, MSNBC on Shaw,   I could go on and on like adding BBC, etc to the list. There are so many many channels available from both the US and Canada available on Shaw in Mexico, that I don't need to do any streaming, other than for fun.

Some folks from the US are using much larger satellite dishes and are picking up DISH Network. and of course, there is streaming when you want even more options

johanson, all of the channels you mention in your post above are on the F2 transponders.  We are only able to receive F2 signals (kU band) in Mexico now but it is still adequate for most people's viewing pleasure.  The internet available in some areas (such as where I live) are still not fast enough to support streaming services.  Starlink will work but still an expensive solution for many.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, Muskydriver said:

I'm about to return to Mexico with my Shaw receiver, however, I remember last winter not being able to get many of the channels that we get here in Canada.  I have a 600 series receiver and a 72 cm dish on our home.  Any ideas on how I can get more of our channels?

Just FYI, I just put my Shaw account on hold while I try out a (new to me) streaming service. My (Canada-based) supplier said that the 600-series receivers are being discontinued, and that after February 2023 I'd no longer be able to use them to access Shaw here. If that holds true, lots of us will be looking for other tv options come February.

Thanks for the info jrod.  I plan on leaving my receivers here in Canada and just taking my Firestick for streaming this winter.  I wasn't happy with the non HD channels that I could get last winter.  I'm a little north of you guys to boot in Mazatlan so if Shaw is bad there it must be worse lakeside.

14 hours ago, johanson said:

Gosh, jrod, I sure hope you are wrong

Me, too. You may want to check with your supplier or, if you are able, with Shaw directly and post here. For the last year or so, we also are using firesticks; our service on all devices is 1/4 of my monthly Shaw bill. So far, no issues, although we have changed providers 3 x, and now are pretty much buffer-free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrod said:

Me, too. You may want to check with your supplier or, if you are able, with Shaw directly and post here. For the last year or so, we also are using firesticks; our service on all devices is 1/4 of my monthly Shaw bill. So far, no issues, although we have changed providers 3 x, and now are pretty much buffer-free.

Do you get NHL hockey,especially Edmonton Oilers?

17 minutes ago, jrod said:

I suspended my service in September and disconnected my receivers, so I can't get on to check for you. Perhaps someone else cam check their package for you?

I get NHL on Shaw and CFL and stingray music for $99/month. My question to you was about the other things you speak of.

31 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I get NHL on Shaw and CFL and stingray music for $99/month. My question to you was about the other things you speak of.

I get USA NHL Network HD (60 channels) and USA NHL Network ALT HD.  For Canada, I'd venture it would be under the local channels' programming? I don't see a CFL channel. I have Spotify for music. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like Shaw has moved more channels to the G1 satellite this week. On my account I lost these channels this week:

101, 112, 153, 212, 246, 251, 268, 411, 417, 418, 424, 450, 455, 474, 475, 515, 531, 533

I had all channels I could not get hidden in my guide. I went through my guide this morning and the channels mentioned above have moved to G1. I checked by looking at the satellite signal in MENU and these all now show G1 sat.