Chapala.com Webboard

"Richie", Dog Walker Extra-ordinaire Badly Injured

Natasha

2 hours ago, Bandol said:

Natasha, would you kindly tell Richie that Greta no longer needs a walker. His arrangement with David was that he would restart her walks when he was better.  Thank you.

And why don't you or "David"  tell him yourselves?  I post info on his recovery process..... I'm not his mother or his secretary.

• Like 1

Speaking of RIchie.... his brother informs us that Richie's "enthusiasm" following doctor's comments about "how well" he was doing was perhaps a little bit coloured by wishful thinking (understandable).  Apparently his has slight movement in fingers of right hand only in the joints nearest the nails, and only a slightly better amount in the left.  Doctor has said he should recover most ! all but has zero idea of time..... weeks, months, a year, or longer.

1 minute ago, Bandol said:

I apologize.  However I don’t know how to get in touch.

His arrangement with David was ....... if he had an arrangement with this David, would David not know how to reach him?  If not, pm me and I'll send you a phone number

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

Speaking of RIchie.... his brother informs us that Richie's "enthusiasm" following doctor's comments about "how well" he was doing was perhaps a little bit coloured by wishful thinking (understandable).  Apparently his has slight movement in fingers of right hand only in the joints nearest the nails, and only a slightly better amount in the left.  Doctor has said he should recover most ! all but has zero idea of time..... weeks, months, a year, or longer.

The connections in fingers that allow pulling a jointed section closed is around a month normally. That the estimated I was told after a finger was busted out of place and it was a month or so till the fingertip would close. Eating healthy well rounded meals I guess is a good way to improve recovery times.

29 minutes ago, Stream said:

The connections in fingers that allow pulling a jointed section closed is around a month normally. That the estimated I was told after a finger was busted out of place and it was a month or so till the fingertip would close. Eating healthy well rounded meals I guess is a good way to improve recovery times.

Thanks amigo. He's into week 7 now.... but remembering both hands, both wrists, and one arm were all severely fractured, I would opine his recovery overall has to take longer.  He's still in casts on both from elbows forward to "somewhere" mid-palm'ish.  I'll give him your best.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, Natasha said:

Thanks amigo. He's into week 7 now.... but remembering both hands, both wrists, and one arm were all severely fractured, I would opine his recovery overall has to take longer.  He's still in casts on both from elbows forward to "somewhere" mid-palm'ish.  I'll give him your best.

It is annoying hearing the bones grind once in awhile waiting for healing.

5 hours ago, Stream said:

It is annoying hearing the bones grind once in awhile waiting for healing.

LOL  Except bones grinding might be better than no bones at all?   Casts are gone.... replaced with some kind of splints  ( sort of like ...but different from...the ones I used to wear for carpal tunnel) and sees the doc for x-rays this week.  IF all goes well, he hopes to get back "in business" by next week..... adding his wife as a permanent partner in their dog-walking enterprise.  Still with limitations, but making good progress.  Mental attitude is always key.  Need to pay food, rent etc. great motivators too. 😉

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, sunshineydays said:

Maybe he is pushing the recovery process. I just saw him in riberas.

At the moment he takes several little dogs attached to a "thing" on his belt while she takes the big ones on their leashes. They do as much as they can manage. But I erred earlier (apologies)....     clearance from doc means  starting physio/rehab therapy..... and not that he's "good to go" by a long shot.

Update from RIchie after doctor visit....only to keep those interested in the loop

"received both good news and bad news ...the good news is that my left hand is doing very well and is gradually welding my bone, they were surprised at my good progress. but the right wrist, a bone moved a lot and a fragment of the radial bone came off and they will have to do surgery again. They haven't told me what day yet but it will most likely be the following week. I am very sad and upset."

That said,  he no longer has to wear any kind of support splint on the left hand/wrist so he's very upbeat about that part.  Onward and upward ☺️

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just an update in this long running battle. Richie had a fourth operation on his right wrist last week and is again in a cast and requiring Melisa's help to walk the dogs this week and probably the next few weeks as well. He still keeps smiling though and is happy to be alive.

• Like 4

Fourth time unable to carry on with his regular dog walking life.

This young man was an expert rock climber and entered competitions displaying his talents. He tutored rock climbing to younger aspiring climbers and also led expeditions for rock climbing to Bernal in the state of Queretaro. THAT part of his life is GONE FOREVER

• Sad 2