Chapala.com Webboard

"Richie", Dog Walker Extra-ordinaire Badly Injured

Natasha

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

And yet we keep hearing from Spencer that the practice is illegal and call the police....if I owned a hospital or restaurant I would expect people to pay for services provided

Spencer’s great at spouting off what’s legal and what’s not, but he’s not the one faced with armed guards saying you’re not leaving until you pay… I don’t know about the San Antonio hospital but in Guadalajara some of the hospitals do have armed guards to stop you leaving.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

And yet we keep hearing from Spencer .....if I owned a hospital.... I would expect people to pay for services provided

Re: Spencer ditto reply from TelZ4. 

Re: payment before exit........ family was well aware of "don't pay, you stay" rules.... that was not my point. URGENT need to get him to Guad meant gathering up that many pesos on the spot in order to proceed was.

Lakeside 7--Maybe because lots of us have learned that IMSS is not an ideal solution. My husband and I paid to subscribe for years. Used it only for flu shots and other local services  just to keep the file open. Time to try to use it--a real hassle.

But as Natasha says, the need in this instance was raising the cash--not an easy task on short notice for many of us.

Lexy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Natasha,  was he enrolled in IMSS ( or whatever it's called now), if not why?

No...... too difficult for Mx people who don't work for companies with group enrolment, payroll deductions, etc. He has  private health insurance which thank heaven he purchased just before baby was born a year ago. But even they will only pay in arrears once receipts etc. are submitted.

• Like 1

Yesterday we got an email from RIchie, obviously with help in typing!.... and am sharing part of it since he doesn't have contact info for some who generously donated... so this is for YOU!

".....I am recovering little by little and I feel better and my wrists no longer feel so much pain. 

I have an appointment with the doctor on Thursday for cleaning and to check how the surgery are going. I know my recovery is going to be slow, but I'm going to do everything the doctor says to get back to work as soon as possible.

I send you a strong hug....."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yay for Richie!  Sent me an email yesterday..... saw the doctor on Wednesday for continuing follow-up, bandage changing etc. and said  doctor was amazed  he's          better able to move his fingers to date than was expected.  I'm not. Both R and his brother are super-dedicated and I know he's working  at 125% effort at this, like he always does.      

Thank you to you-know-who for the generous donation brought to my door this week.  Richie was most grateful.                                                                     

• Thanks 1

I would like very much to contribute more to his recovery.  I have never met him and would like to wish him well in person when delivering him the money. would there be any way of making that happen?

On 9/25/2022 at 10:16 AM, Natasha said:

Pesos.  A lot for a Mexican family to come up with in very short order........... need to head to Guad most urgent, but they don't let you out the door without the payment (normal in any hospital).

According to everything I have read over the years, a hospital may not keep the patient "hostage" for the payment of a bill. I believe Spencer made a detailed post on this a few years ago.

I would tell you my story about the gringo hospitals here, but no matter what I say, I would be flamed fo disparaging a well loved local business, and the hospitals are just that, businesses. Their first priority is the bottom financial line.

• 2 weeks later...

Some have sent emails or pm's to ask about his  progress. This will be my last response..... unless.......

Update effective Oct 19 ( received via one of his clients)...edited and shortened only for clarity:

He had a lot of stabilizing pins removed on Oct 19.... this is nearly one month to the day from surgery... and said it was P>A>I>N>F>U>L. (Both arms are in casts extending ?? far down onto each hand/fingers)  Did NOT have a good night ... said  would be another 3 days for  inflammation to die down so could move  fingers again. Started walking dogs the previous Monday with wife's ( indispensable) help..... limited times as walking can only happen while baby's in Kinder. Wife hooks the little dogs up to a clip on Richie's belt and she handles the big ones. 

My reply:  "When the going gets tough, the tough get going....."    Thanks to all for your concern, caring, and financial help. Greatly appreciated   Gracias 💝

• Like 2

Slowly but surely. After surgeries like that it takes around a year for nerve ends to reconnect. It's not a good feeling during that year wondering. The going to sleep part of worried about moving around messing things up rolling around is spooky. Then there's the pain pills fog sitting there wondering if you had already taken one or two when two is the max and you are feeling like you need two. Yah get a pill dispenser so you know. 

• 2 weeks later...