Chapala.com Webboard

"Richie", Dog Walker Extra-ordinaire Badly Injured

Natasha

Putting here because it's the man, not a pet. Happily, Richie survived, but suffered TWO broken hands, at least one broken wrist, a badly fractured right arm, plus multiple contusions and abrasions requiring stitches etc.  This because he was between appts., riding a "moto" (gas too expensive) on the carretera west of Ajijic, and suffered a head-on crash into a foreigner's car as she (? unsafely?) exited a gated community out that way.  NOT judging at this point.... that's for authorities to decide.

At least he wears a great helmet so head remained intact... inside and out...... but he'll be a LONG time recovering, with no way to feed his wife and baby daughter. His older brother tells me the lady's insurance company offered only the worst and cheapest of medical care options. I get that's what insurance companies do, but I hope they will be pressured to do the right thing in this case. I get it's the company and not the lady,  but it's still despicable.

Fortunately Richie has some kind of health plan that will cover part of the costs of the good hospital and excellent hand surgeon family elected to use, but there's still the deductible to pay, never mind the lost income for as long as it takes. If you're one of his happy clients you already know what a FINE and responsible  young man he is, and your  well-wishes (and maybe more?) at this time will mean a lot to this most excellent Mexican family who have all served the community here in many ways over the years. And if his mother hasn't made it to you yet (was going around to clients' doors this a.m. ) now you know.             

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thanks Natasha. I also hope that the lady involved will do the right thing. In the meantime, please keep in touch with me for anything that Richie and his family need. Richie is an outstandingly responsible young man with a young family. I hope that all of his clients step up to help him in his hour of need.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Thanks Natasha. I also hope that the lady involved will do the right thing. In the meantime, please keep in touch with me for anything that Richie and his family need. Richie is an outstandingly responsible young man with a young family. I hope that all of his clients step up to help him in his hour of need.

The "lady involved" hasn't got anything to do with what her insurance policy offers.  It's beyond her control.

9 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

The "lady involved" hasn't got anything to do with what her insurance policy offers.  It's beyond her control.

I already said that in OP..... BUT she could at least step up and pay the deductible, OR at least let her agent know this isn't right.... and her agent can contact the company involved.  HOPING Richie's insurance guys will go after her insurance guys but ???

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

I already said that in OP..... BUT she could at least step up and pay the deductible, OR at least let her agent know this isn't right.... and her agent can contact the company involved.  HOPING Richie's insurance guys will go after her insurance guys but ???

Guessing he did not have insurance or he would be dealing with his own company. 

13 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If I was the lady involved I would be doing whatever I could to help Ritchie in the hope he doesn’t sue me.

From what I’m hearing she was at fault, that may or may not be the case. I’m in no doubt some attorney is going to take Richie’s case against a pre conceived rich gringa.

Richie' s family are NOT that kind!!!  That said, he certainly is due more than  the insurance company's miserly offer.

9 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Guessing he did not have insurance or he would be dealing with his own company. 

As I stated, he has health insurance WITH a deductible. That part they'll have to "find".... plus money to live while he recovers.  Waiting on news about today's surgery 🙏.... one of many from the sounds of it.

Pretty sure has it on the little old car, but the bike???

Natasha you speak  very disparaging about the car driver who may or may not be responsible for the accident . Fortunately the car driver ( and he )has insurance which many time is not the case.

To be fair it would be illadvised to circumvent the insurance company negotiations,  that why we buy it!

So,respectively ,set up a bank a Support Richie bank account so that folks may contribute. Our prayers for his speedy recovery 

I'm personally not able to do the bank account set-up thing, but invite anyone who would like to do so........ . 

That said, more than one board member has already contacted me with an offer of a donation, and I will see it gets to the family. (We did this when his older brother was  super-seriously injured, riding a larger bike, and hit by a (Mexican) drunk driver who had enough "connections" that it took FOREVER for even cost of the destroyed motorcycle to be grudgingly paid..... and not  a peso more. In Carlos's case physio people said he'd never walk again, let alone work, and many months of rehab and self-determination proved them wrong.

Anyone interested can p.m. me. I'll sign for any $$ received, and will be happy at any time to show signed receipt of same when I've passed it to the family from family from time to time. And IF finds are forthcoming   that make this unnecessary, I'll return donations given.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all! 

1.  Doctors told the family surgery went "well" and now it's a matter of waiting........

2.  Richie's brother Carlos has a bank account set up (HSBC) to receive funds, and will be getting the details to me sometime later today. Anyone interested can pm me and I'll provide.

3.  THANK YOU to 3 donors who've already stepped up!

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

One of Richie's regular clients intends to pay his usual weekly fee for dog walking services during all the time he's unable to work.

Thank you to another one..... plus a dog-loving board member who doesn't even know him.  It takes a village...... and the village is certainly stepping up. Proud of you all!!

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Why not place a story in the Guadalajara Reporter,  contact  Dale Palfrey 

IMO could  be too invasive of the driver's privacy..... who by the way has admitted FULL responsibility...... but nonetheless has rights too.  Plus Lakeside is not their only focus by a long shot so Dale may or may not be able to get something in there that's already happened, with no pix etc.  But thank you for the thought.

• Like 1

Dale would do the story in a minute. Not an intrusion on the woman driver's privacy. It was a public event, a sudden accident. It could benefit Richie, more than likely--that's the point. And that's what newpaper reporters do for a living.  . . .they report.

Lexy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update this morning at my house  with Richie's brother Carlos.

1.  Both hands, wrists, and multiple fractures in one arm all done during Thurs night surgery. As of last night docs very concerned he'll ever regain much, if any, use of right hand.  These boys have amazing focus and determination, so if it can be done, Richie will do it..... tho' could take a lot of time.

2.  No question at all... driver has admitted being totally at fault. Meeting with Carlos, lawyers for ins. companies, and police yesterday indicated that while much re-imbursement will be forthcoming at some future date, for now family has to keep paying all up front. And of course wife and baby have to eat, rent needs to be paid, etc.

3.  2 hours in San Antonio Hospital (many know what I think of that place 😡) was $25,000 alone, to get out the door and off to Guad hospital.

4.  For all the up-front costs family is facing, Carlos stepped up and put his own "super-deluxe too fancy for me to comprehend" racing-mountain bike as a raffle prize . Mexican family/friends/word-of-mouth meant all 70 tickets ($1,00 each) are sold (money not all collected yet) and raffle will be put on a video for all participants to see so nobody will doubt veracity.                                                                                                                                                               ***He uses this bike to take his own dog clients to the hills so puts big limits on him, but that's the kind of guy he is***.

5.  IF any of Richie's clients have tried to reach him, his cell phone was also destroyed so no chance to hear anything that way.

6.  Donations via bank, Oxxo, and   one more (?) can be made and as soon as Carlos gets those details to me I'll post. Meanwhile I handed over the          cash I've received so far, and please accept family's most sincere thanks.

51 minutes ago, Lexy said:

Dale would do the story in a minute. Not an intrusion on the woman driver's privacy. It was a public event, a sudden accident. It could benefit Richie, more than likely--that's the point. And that's what newpaper reporters do for a living.  . . .they report.

IF a story were done at this point,  IMO the focus should be on the fact that drivers trying to get onto carretera   anywhere past Strom-White all the way past La Canacinta MUST exercise more caution, never mind the extreme frustration they experience in this effort. That road was NEVER designed to accommodate all the extra pressure resulting from so much new construction out there in the past several years. 

No, it's nobody's individual fault construction has happened. But yes...... it's everyone's total responsibility to have all patience needed in order to avoid causing accidents like this. I see it all the time when leaving east Villa Nova..... people making turns when it is NOT safe. Yeah.... they might be late for an appt.  Yeah.... they might have other things on their minds.  Yeah..... they're just tired of the wait.  But look what can happen, and learn from it.

I won't contact Dale (yes, we know each other).  Anyone else wants to, I'll provide some info only if focus won't be placed heavily on the lady. You won't like this Lexy, my friend, but I don't always agree with the often too pushy (IMO) behaviour of the press!   You, of course, not included.🥰

• Like 1

It is very difficult on a bicycle - moto to have eyes in 4 directions on the bicycle path and dangerous when cars pull across it with the driver only looking the other way. It is also dangerous when motorists stop to let one cross the Carretera. There are too many variables, especially at an intersection. A car can pull out to pass the stopped vehicle, a car can try turning from either cross street, not to mention traffic coming from the other direction. Even if your heart says do it, please don't stop.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Natasha said:

Update this morning at my house  with Richie's brother Carlos.

1.  Both hands, wrists, and multiple fractures in one arm all done during Thurs night surgery. As of last night docs very concerned he'll ever regain much, if any, use of right hand.  These boys have amazing focus and determination, so if it can be done, Richie will do it..... tho' could take a lot of time.

2.  No question at all... driver has admitted being totally at fault. Meeting with Carlos, lawyers for ins. companies, and police yesterday indicated that while much re-imbursement will be forthcoming at some future date, for now family has to keep paying all up front. And of course wife and baby have to eat, rent needs to be paid, etc.

3.  2 hours in San Antonio Hospital (many know what I think of that place 😡) was $25,000 alone, to get out the door and off to Guad hospital.

4.  For all the up-front costs family is facing, Carlos stepped up and put his own "super-deluxe too fancy for me to comprehend" racing-mountain bike as a raffle prize . Mexican family/friends/word-of-mouth meant all 70 tickets ($1,00 each) are sold (money not all collected yet) and raffle will be put on a video for all participants to see so nobody will doubt veracity.                                                                                                                                                               ***He uses this bike to take his own dog clients to the hills so puts big limits on him, but that's the kind of guy he is***.

5.  IF any of Richie's clients have tried to reach him, his cell phone was also destroyed so no chance to hear anything that way.

6.  Donations via bank, Oxxo, and   one more (?) can be made and as soon as Carlos gets those details to me I'll post. Meanwhile I handed over the          cash I've received so far, and please accept family's most sincere thanks.

Question, $25,000 pesos or USD.

9 hours ago, Natasha said:

Pesos.  A lot for a Mexican family to come up with in very short order........... need to head to Guad most urgent, but they don't let you out the door without the payment (normal in any hospital).

And yet we keep hearing from Spencer that the practice is illegal and call the police....if I owned a hospital or restaurant I would expect people to pay for services provided