Chapala.com Webboard

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! no politics please

NEWMtnMama

This may be one of the most important US elections of our lifetime so please take time to cast your ballot. Many states require that ballots be sent by snail-mail so don't put this off. 

Step #1 to vote in the Midterms, request your ballot now at VoteFromAbroad.org.
Step #2 follow the instructions for the last U.S. state where you were registered to vote.
Step #3 return your ballot by 24 September to ensure it arrives on time
Step #4 if you have been purged from the voting rolls, go to VoteFromAbroad.org or contact VoteLakeChapala @ gmail.com for help with re-registering. 

If you are a US citizen, actions taken can have a direct impact on you, even when living in Mexico. For example any changes to Social Security would impact most all of us. It is your right to vote so please don't put it off. 

• Like 2

Thanks.  I went yesterday and it was the best 10 minutes I ever spent at LCS.  I learned that for the first time we could vote by email rather than the laborious paper absentee ballot process that my state previously required.  Required nothing but my old voting address of that state, my signature, with some other data.  They did it all for me.  Got an email from my county three hours later that everything was good to go.  The email option varies state by state.  There is more than one system to use to vote from abroad.  To clarify, the ballot is emailed to you and then you mail it back.  Recommended.🙂

Edited by Kiko
addl info
  • Like 1

We vote in AZ  via uploaded ballots. Receive confirmation from Maricopa County that ballots have been received and counted.   We should be receiving our 8 November ballots in a couple of days via email.   We received primary ballots in June for first part of August primary.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

This may be one of the most important US elections of our lifetime so please take time to cast your ballot. Many states require that ballots be sent by snail-mail so don't put this off. 

Step #1 to vote in the Midterms, request your ballot now at VoteFromAbroad.org.
Step #2 follow the instructions for the last U.S. state where you were registered to vote.
Step #3 return your ballot by 24 September to ensure it arrives on time
Step #4 if you have been purged from the voting rolls, go to VoteFromAbroad.org or contact VoteLakeChapala @ gmail.com for help with re-registering. 

If you are a US citizen, actions taken can have a direct impact on you, even when living in Mexico. For example any changes to Social Security would impact most all of us. It is your right to vote so please don't put it off. 

Can I ask why 24 September specifically? Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, purpleflower said:

I'm with you.   How can you return a ballot that hasn't been received yet? ie my post above stating ballots will be sent to us soon (Maricopa Co. website states they will be sent via email to us on the 23rd).  

5 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

Can you say what jurisdiction this is for? Email is wildly insecure, so I'd like to research how they're solving that. Thanks.

LQ

Take a deep breath Lou. They encrypt the emails, very safe and secure. We have been successfully using it for years in Colorado.

4 hours ago, purpleflower said:

That is a suggestion for optimum snail-mail delivery if you are from one of the 36 states that require it. Send the completed ballot back as quickly as you can.

Here is a good overview from the state department that may answer your questions:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/voting.html

Edited by NEWMtnMama
additional information
  • Like 2

Take a deep breath Lou. They encrypt the emails, very safe and secure. We have been successfully using it for years in Colorado.

I'll take a breath as soon as regular folks stop trusting email.

Colorado has a fine and admirable system, and the most important thing is for folks to follow the instructions at votefromabroad.org and be counted. Terminology and misnomers can be corrected later.

LQ

• Like 1

Especially if you vote from one of these MAIL-BACK ONLY ballot states: 
AR, CT, GA, IA, ID, IL, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, WY. 
you should mail your U.S. midterm ballot by mid-Oct to be sure it arrives. And you don't forget to send it. 
For Lake Chapala area only:

To mail or fax your ballot back, go to iShop in San Antonio Tlayacapan. About 80 pesos. 
To mail your ballot back, go to Handy Mail, Sol y Luna or iShop in San Juan Cosala. 
Use U.S.P.S. First Class Mail. 

After mid October, DHL is recommended (about 1100 pesos).
Questions? Need help?

Get help at Lake Chapala Society (LCS) from 10-12:30 on each of these days: TUES, SEPT 27 and FRI, SEPT. 30. There will be a ballot collection box at LCS as well. 

• Like 2

I recently received an absentee ballot for Pennsylvania. It contains only for U.S. Senate and U.S. House, not for the governor nor the state-wide offices. It turned out that this is because when I requested the ballot I indicated that my return to the U.S. was uncertain. Just if you, the fellow ex-Pennsylvanians, wonder why.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, purpleflower said:

I recently received an absentee ballot for Pennsylvania. It contains only for U.S. Senate and U.S. House, not for the governor nor the state-wide offices. It turned out that this is because when I requested the ballot I indicated that my return to the U.S. was uncertain. Just if you, the fellow ex-Pennsylvanians, wonder why.   

The same is true for us ex-Oregonians.

We voted today and will mail our ballots from iShop tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Ballots vary by state. Some only allow overseas voters to vote in national elections. Others such as Colorado allow us to vote in all statewide elections.

Remember, request that ballot and mail it back soon. The forwarding services only send mail NOB once or twice a week don't put if off.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already done so, mail your U.S. ballot back now! Especially if you vote from one of these MAIL-BACK ONLY ballot states: AR, CT, GA, IA, ID, IL, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, WY. That way if there is a problem with your ballot, you will have time to correct it. But please vote. 

10 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Folks if you need constant  reminding or  "outside" help to file your ballots ,does this indicate the real interest you have for casting your vote???

This is an incredibly important election for the US. Every vote really does matter. There are issues being raised that can impact all of us and those we love. So if you need a little reminder or a little push, or a little help, I am glad to be here for you. 

23 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

This is an incredibly important election for the US. Every vote really does matter. There are issues being raised that can impact all of us and those we love. So if you need a little reminder or a little push, or a little help, I am glad to be here for you. 

Well I do thank you for that extra reminder. But my earlier comments are still valid...use it or lose it...God bless you my dear

I've printed my GA ballot but I don't think it's the right size. I may need to talk with someone before I mail it back.

Thanks for the help!

Val Jones. :)

The size of the ballot doesn't matter.  It is who you vote for that matters. I went through this already and contacted AZ about it as our ballots printed really small.  They said don't worry about it.  The mark for your choice of candidates is what matters.   If  you really are concerned, contact GA.