Chapala.com Webboard

mini quake?

happyjillin

Not so mini.  Had to hold on to palm tree in our yard so as not to fall down.  One of our dogs fell down a flight of stairs, she's ok, but scared to death. Looking for new cracks as our bovada was moving back and forth.   I guess National Hurricane Awareness Day should be taken to mean day of earthquakes.  Just had a small after shock.

1 minute ago, Natasha said:

Yup.......... 4 strong movements here in Villa Nova           Kind of spooky since tomorrow is  Earthquake Remembrance for the 2 biggies in Mexico City (1985 and 2017) and whole country will have earthquake drills at 12:19 p.m.

Nationwide today.  https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/nationwide-earthquake-drill-today/

My house in Upper Ajijic must be on bedrock because I did not feel it.  I heard it and I saw it.  First I heard two pieces of metal banging twice at a high pitch.  I looked out the window and saw the water sloshing back and forth in my birdbath. I knew it was an earthquake so I concentrated but I did not feel anything.

That was it.  I have lived in Mexico over 19 years and I have never felt an earthquake, but at least I heard and saw this earthquake.   I lived in Seattle for 60 years so I know earthquakes. 

I have an anecdote that I should have added to my above message:  Speaking of sloshing--

Around about 1970 I was living in an apartment east of Seattle.  It was the middle of the week and I had the day off.  It was sunny and I was out sitting by the side of pool reading a book.  I remember there were also two ladies out there. No-one was in the pool  Most people were at work.  Suddenly the water in this large pool started sloshing back and forth.  I said, half-joking to the ladies, "earthquake."    Later that evening on the news we heard that there had been a large earthquake in Alaska.

I was just in Mia's and felt it there, not big or long, but concerning.  I thought it was my old age showing up, my legs felt shaky, and customers calmly went outside and waited - no big deal.  I've never felt one here before, I was standing up when it happened.  I talked to others who thought it was just them, like I did.  I figured it was at the outer area of a bigger quake somewhere else.  

I was in CDMX in 2017 a few months after that quake, but there was not much visible damage by that time.  Bottom line, the buildings that were built to code did not get damaged but the cheaply built ones did.  While taking a walk around the hotel, I was chatting with a couple of locals when their quake warning signal went off.  It was the loudest most god-awful sound that would definitely get your attention.  But the locals told me it was just a warning and they stayed calm so I did too.

I was in bed reading, tired, ready for a nap when I realized my bed was moving. I thought, can it be--there was no doubt that my queen-size bed was really moving, and it lasted a while. I looked over at my dog on his pillow as he lifted his head and looked around, looking puzzled. My clock showed 1:55. It seemed to be noisy outside. Wow . . .

Lexy

21 minutes ago, Lexy said:

I was in bed reading, tired, ready for a nap when I realized my bed was moving. I thought, can it be--there was no doubt that my queen-size bed was really moving, and it lasted a while. I looked over at my dog on his pillow as he lifted his head and looked around, looking puzzled. My clock showed 1:55. It seemed to be noisy outside. Wow . . .

Lexy

Sometimes you can hear booms along with the feeling you are on water in the waves. I'd be real tempted to sleep outside for a while with mosquito net of course.