Chapala.com Webboard

US TV Channels

Mad_Max

Shaw gives me my Seattle ABC, CBS, NBC, & PBS stations. Also, the same from Detroit. And FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and a few more channels that I don't remember. However, once the satellite dies that carries these channels, it will not be replaced. What's the expected life expectancy? Maybe 5 to 10 years, or maybe a week. No one knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

USTVGO on a computer has most channels (more than you would ever want

thanks Harry - what I notice for some of these services is a lack of transparency - that is there is no easy way to determine the price.  So googling USTVGO's price, it appears to be free - which goes back to - "If you're not paying for the product then you are the product"  Tristan Harris

I also found the same with Clear Choice - no easy way to find the price

45 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

thanks Harry - what I notice for some of these services is a lack of transparency - that is there is no easy way to determine the price.  So googling USTVGO's price, it appears to be free - which goes back to - "If you're not paying for the product then you are the product"  Tristan Harris

I also found the same with Clear Choice - no easy way to find the price

I sent you a private message.

23 hours ago, Natasha said:

Why don't you just get a FireStick ?

I would stay away from the Firestick.  They were great a couple of years ago but the recent OS updates are making everything more proprietary to the Amazon ecosystem.  I would recommend the Google Chromecast TV, or an Nvidia Shield if price is no object.

Screenshot (61).png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, All Day said:

I would stay away from the Firestick.  They were great a couple of years ago but the recent OS updates are making everything more proprietary to the Amazon ecosystem.  I would recommend the Google Chromecast TV, or an Nvidia Shield if price is no object.

Screenshot (61).png

You can use a Firestick without any involvement with Amazon, I do.

1 minute ago, Alpha1 said:

You can use a Firestick without any involvement with Amazon, I do.

I'm not talking about having an Amazon account. I'm talking about access to developer options, such as allowing 3rd party apps etc.  Also they are making it more difficult to change launcher screens to customize layouts and other other options.  The Chrome device is functionally the same as far as performance goes, but it is more customizable. 

3 minutes ago, All Day said:

I'm not talking about having an Amazon account. I'm talking about access to developer options, such as allowing 3rd party apps etc.  Also they are making it more difficult to change launcher screens to customize layouts and other other options.  The Chrome device is functionally the same as far as performance goes, but it is more customizable. 

You can use developer options by replacing the option. All good.

23 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Enter ABOUT 7 times and it reappears.

Yes I know.  But the point is they are making things more difficult.  I used to run Launcher Manager with Wolf Launcher as my default home screen.  With the recent updates, this is no longer possible,  but I can still do it on my Android OS.  I'm not trying to s**t on the Firestick,  it's a great device.  Just wanted to let people know there are other great options in the same price range.  In fact, on Amazon MX the Google device is priced lower than the 4K Firesticks.

1 minute ago, All Day said:

Yes I know.  But the point is they are making things more difficult.  I used to run Launcher Manager with Wolf Launcher as my default home screen.  With the recent updates, this is no longer possible,  but I can still do it on my Android OS.  I'm not trying to s**t on the Firestick,  it's a great device.  Just wanted to let people know there are other great options in the same price range.  In fact, on Amazon MX the Google device is priced lower that the 4K Firesticks.

To each their own...I have a FireCube and it works extremely well.