Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara airport INM update

sm1mex

Thanks for the tip. My travel agency didn't tell me that it was necessary anymore when I picked up my flight information and paid for my ticket yesterday for my flight from GDL to the US next week. Luckily, I have a few extra IMM forms that I will take with me just in case they are still necessary next week.

We always collect extra INM forms when offered on the plane for next trip. A man behind me at INM didn’t have  a form and he was given one. Step out of line to fill it out to exit México. No change on exit and entry Guadalajara and also the red/green light. We got the green so good to go but have also gotten the red light and they send stuff through X-ray and sometimes search the luggage. We never bring anything not allowed so red light just takes more time and they send us on. Saw Sudafed at a pharmacy in US. DO NOT BRING SUDAFED TO MÉXICO. One lady a while ago had 6 Sudafed tablets and she went to jail here. It is illegal. 

4 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

We always collect extra INM forms when offered on the plane for next trip. A man behind me at INM didn’t have  a form and he was given one. Step out of line to fill it out to exit México. No change on exit and entry Guadalajara and also the red/green light. We got the green so good to go but have also gotten the red light and they send stuff through X-ray and sometimes search the luggage. We never bring anything not allowed so red light just takes more time and they send us on. Saw Sudafed at a pharmacy in US. DO NOT BRING SUDAFED TO MÉXICO. One lady a while ago had 6 Sudafed tablets and she went to jail here. It is illegal. 

Can you quote the source of information  of lady going to jail for having 6 Sudafed tablets when entering Mexico?

I thought in a previous thread that we were told that INM is not physically keeping the other half of the INM form when you return back to MX., because Guad Airport is part of a new experimental plan of not keeping the return portion.   Think you need to show it upon your return , but INM not necessarily keeping the other paper portion that you are showing to them.     

Regarding the other statement about Sudafed, it has been a long time no-no to enter in the States or MX with it since  it is used in making methamphetamine !

Recent int'l travel activity:

• GDL -> SFO, May 27, 2022
    Checking in (in person), AeroMexico sent me over to the INM window to get the second half of an FMM to present at the gate. Seemed odd, but it's Mexico, so ...

• GDL -> SFO, Aug 22, 2022
    This time I checked-in online. At the gate, AeroMexico rep was looking at documents and sorting folks into lines, as usual. Made sure she saw mine (U.S. passport, Mexican residency), whereupon she asked if I had "checked in" (meaning in-person). When I said "online," she thought it would be best if I went over to another rep who was logging passports in a terminal, which I did. Neither of the reps were perfectly sure why this step was needed; it was more of a "to avoid problems" kind of thing.

Seems like a new system working out its bugs -- particularly for int'l travelers not holding Mexican passports. The Mexicans headed to SFO weren't asked to do anything special.

LQ

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

Recent int'l travel activity:

• GDL -> SFO, May 27, 2022
    Checking in (in person), AeroMexico sent me over to the INM window to get the second half of an FMM to present at the gate. Seemed odd, but it's Mexico, so ...

• GDL -> SFO, Aug 22, 2022
    This time I checked-in online. At the gate, AeroMexico rep was looking at documents and sorting folks into lines, as usual. Made sure she saw mine (U.S. passport, Mexican residency), whereupon she asked if I had "checked in" (meaning in-person). When I said "online," she thought it would be best if I went over to another rep who was logging passports in a terminal, which I did. Neither of the reps were perfectly sure why this step was needed; it was more of a "to avoid problems" kind of thing.

Seems like a new system working out its bugs -- particularly for int'l travelers not holding Mexican passports. The Mexicans headed to SFO weren't asked to do anything special.

LQ

Thanks for being specific on your expereince. The OP's info to me reads as a third-person expereince which is another word for rumor. Your expereince matched ours when we traveled to SFO in June on AeroMexico (FMM needed departing and returning); and late July departure to DFW on AA and early August returnon. FMM was NOT needed coming or going, As many of us say, "TIM!" This is Mexico!

This is so confusing. I just called the travel agency where I got my ticket a few days ago for my flight this coming Saturday, and they said I needed that form. So, I guess I will fill it out and go to the airport in Guad and have it if necessary.

8 minutes ago, johanson said:

So, I guess I will fill it out and go to the airport in Guad and have it if necessary.

That's what we'll be doing, for the time being.

Another approach is to stop at the INM window first, to ask if you still need an FMM to exit. Eventually the answer will be "no," but you can't count on it yet.

LQ

• Like 1

Did a round-trip to DFW and back a couple of weeks ago. Checked in online, and no bags to check, so just needed form from INM office. The person wasn't very verbose with instructions (as in, none) but we eventually figured out we needed to fill them out and give them back to her. I asked about filling in details. It wasn't a stupid question because the form, as printed, is designed for people traveling from somewhere else *TO* Mexico, not the other way around. We filled in names, passport numbers, etc., but as for the rest the lady indicated it wasn't necessary. No flight info, etc.  She quickly scribbled "R Temporale" and "R Permanente" on the top of the form (in permanent marker) and then stamped the hell out of everything and we were on our way. 

The people who collect half of the form are the airline personnel at the gate.

On our return INM collected the other half, which we had filled out w/ flight info, our address, etc., stamped our passports and we collected our one checked bag (we never leave with one, but always return with one for some reason) and we played red light/green light (the much safer version) and just like that we were at the taxi stand. Bienvenido!

One note of interest - when we were leaving DFW Airport for some reason there was evidently a flight bringing in several older Mexican couples. They had matching shirts, and as each one came out of the baggage area in wheelchairs a whole group of about 50 people applauded and took pictures and videos. People were crying and laughing and hugging. It was very nice to see.

I left GDL yesterday, Sep 20th for Seattle, and was required to have the form and get it stamped by the immigration guy in that office who also looked at my green card (Immigration Permanente card). This is all so weird. I wonder if when I return, I will be told this form is no longer required.

All I know is that at the ticket agent who took my bag wouldn't give me my tickets until I had properly filled out my IMM form, and they took the bottom part and gave me the top half to use when returning. And again, that was yesterday.

8 minutes ago, johanson said:

I left GDL yesterday, Sep 20th for Seattle, and was required to have the form and get it stamped by the immigration guy in that office who also looked at my green card (Immigration Permanente card). This is all so weird. I wonder if when I return, I will be told this form is no longer required.

All I know is that at the ticket agent who took my bag wouldn't give me my tickets until I had properly filled out my IMM form, and they took the bottom part and gave me the top half to use when returning. And again, that was yesterday.

I am not sure if weird is the best word Pete,. Given that other MX departments will ask for "copies" of stuff, and others require nada.

The few times I have departed Guadalajara and returned via MX city, the MX city immigration guy always was looking for the half that I retained when leaving, which I never kept,always filling in a new one which satisfied the Guadalajara guy. But if we wait long enough I am sure the new process will be "across the country "

On my return Intl flight on Saturday, Sept 17 the flight crew announced that Guadalajara no longer requires the FMM form but arriving passengers must tell their incoming flight number to the immigration official. Nobody in INM turned in a form and we indeed were asked for the flight number. AND...more surprisingly, we were not told to mask up once off the US aircraft, as we always have been...even last week. Most passengers deplaning, all the INM officers, and many people gathered waiting for passengers in the terminal also had no mask. The large reader board videos on how to properly wear a mask were absent, also, since last week,

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GAP092049 said:

Does anyone know if you are coming in as a tourist if you need an FMM form?

I came in last Monday (the 3rd) from SFO, on AeroMexico, and the airline handed out only customs forms, not FMMs. I raised an eyebrow at the flight attendant, but he had nothing to add.

I drew one of the nicer migración officers, the kind who say "Welcome back," and gave him a "No forma migración, eh?" He said, "No, no más." We agreed that this was un mejor sistema, and I was on my way.

LQ

• Like 1