Chapala.com Webboard

Extender - Fiber optic Wifi

ibarra

my home is one lever the rooms are very large and I have 4 walls between the modem and living room and the wifi signal does not get to the living room. We have laptops we like to use in various rooms and we cannot do that without the extender , even the cell phones do not work without the extender. 

I think I was charge extra but I do not remember. Telmex was on the street and they had one fiber line left and asked me if I wanted it, I said yes they came in installed it and then the laptop was not working in the other end of the house so I asked them for an extender and conection and they did it. They may have done it  privatly, who knows bit they did it and it works ..

After the fiber was installed none of the phone line worked.. so I hooked up a phone to the modem but all the other lines are useless.

• Thanks 1

What type of phones do you have? We have older cordless phones which I believe require an adapter to work.   

Telmex fiber optic lines have just been installed in Brisas de Chapala where we live and we are trying to be proactive before they come for installation.  Totalplay with follow with installation (sometime)  and we can then make a decision whether to switch companies.

We appreciate your patience in our quest for information. 

When they wire the fiber optic line to your home you will only have one phone jack.  The other phone jacks in your home will not work, they are copper wires and are not compatible with fiber.  We have an old set of wireless phones and needed no special adapter.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Turner said:

When they wire the fiber optic line to your home you will only have one phone jack.

Right. Any kind of phone service from an internet provider will require a phone to be plugged into a special jack on the provider's "router" device. It won't involve wifi and won't use any old-skool phone jacks already in your house -- though I guess you could connect them if you're ambitious. We don't need our house to have a phone line, so we just use our cell phones, plus the wifi calling that WhatsApp (or similar) can do.

Note carefully that wifi is wifi, and isn't somehow different with fibra óptica service. However, a new provider of any sort will bring a different "router" device than you had before, so any change in wifi signal quality will stem from that fact. The new base device may work well with extra wifi points you already own (and how they're positioned), or not. ISP-provided gear is usually mediocre.

17 hours ago, Ellie said:

I installed the same system, TP Link

TP-Link gear is as good as any other, and probably better than what Telmex would provide. We have a couple of these in the mix:

https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-6-Range-Extender-Booster/dp/B088H2FCHL/

Nevertheless I'll probably run ethernet to the one on our mirador, since its "mesh" connection is shaky, and we rely on it to connect some Wyze cams when we're away. We're away now.

Screenshot_20220907-095320-s.png.f7accc013cf7642f1a2c391459a11c1e.png

Screenshot_20220907-095341-s.png.4156403824ac8f2f9d1fa8ed976af019.png

One thing with TP-Link -- which will point you toward their "Tether" phone app to do the setup -- is that by default it wants to have each extender create a separate wifi network name (a separate "SSID"). So if your base wifi network name is "Telmex_hoochiemama_1234," TP-Link might suggest an extender name like "Telmex_hoochiemama_1234_ext1," or some such. This isn't ideal if you have one house and want everything using one network name.

But TP-Link won't prevent you from setting the same name on your extender as the rest of the house uses, so I'd suggest doing that. Their preference for discrete SSID names seems intended to reduce tech support calls.

Also, if you're experimenting with different extender locations, don't be shy about factory-resetting the extender (often with a paper clip) between attempts. It's often best to start fresh.

LQ

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Michael Turner said:

When they wire the fiber optic line to your home you will only have one phone jack.  The other phone jacks in your home will not work, they are copper wires and are not comparable with fiber.  We have an old set of wireless phones and needed no special adapter.   

If the new router is near a current phone outlet  connect the jack to the phone line in the house and all the phone outlets in the house will work.

• Thanks 1

Exactly!  And if it's not real close, just buy some RJ11 wire and run it to the nearest phone outlet if possible.  (Just make sure that the old Telmex incoming copper wire is not still plugged into your house demark point from the street... something that the fiber installers should have disconnected but.....). 

Edited by RickS
  • Thanks 1