Chapala.com Webboard

US Social Security Login - I now need a VPN to login (using Totalplay, not Telmex)

mexbound

I have been logging in to my US social security account from Mexico for many years now without using a VPN. This morning when I go to the site https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and click on "Sign In" I get rejected.  If I connect my VPN to a location in the US, it lets me signin without issue. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Ok, it appears only to happen when using Totalplay as my internet provider. I happen to have Telmex as a backup provider and I switched to Telmex and I can signin to ssa without using a VPN. So it appears to be only with Totalplay.  Anyone else confirm this?

• mexbound changed the title to US Social Security Login - I now need a VPN to login (using Totalplay, not Telmex)

Very interesting. Must be a setting in the Totalplay modem as I have now tried 3 different computers in the house and they all fail signin when using Totalplay. I switch them to Telmex and they all succeed signin without a VPN. I wonder what modem setting it might be ...

Rebooted Totalplay modem and computer. Still same issue.  I will keep investigating and if I come up with an answer I will post here. In the meantime I can access SSA either using Totalplay and a VPN or just through Telmex and no VPN.  Thanks for all the suggestions. 

5 hours ago, mexbound said:

I have been logging in to my US social security account from Mexico for many years now without using a VPN. This morning when I go to the site https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and click on "Sign In" I get rejected.  If I connect my VPN to a location in the US, it lets me signin without issue. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Have you used totalplay previously to access your SSA account? Or were you using telmex? It is possible IP address change triggered a security warning. Are you using 2FA? If not: login to SSA using telmex, signup for 2FA, and try totalplay again. Should trigger the warning and 2FA (if that is indeed the issue)...

1 hour ago, mexbound said:

I have accessed SSA in the past (maybe 1 month ago) just fine using Totalplay.  I already use 2FA on my SSA account. On Totalplay without VPN, I don't even get to the signin page to trigger any kind of signin.  I get the error:  ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I just accessed SSA via Totalplay with no VPN and no problem.