Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex fake scam?

I had a nice looking courteous well dressed Mexican lad, early twenties, no uniform, come to my front door and tell me that Telmex wanted to put fibre in my home. Free he said. I didn’t mention I have iLox. I asked for ID but he said he and his father were subcontractors and didn’t have them. Or a Telmex truck.  

is this a scam to get into your house to scope it out or even to rob it real time..  

anyone heard of this?

They are working their through Las Salvias at the moment.  The cars being used are labelled Carso Constructora, if I remember correctly.  When the switch to fiber optics is made, the old wiring and system will cease to function.  We are going to be changed. like it or not!  No prior notice is  being given which is a pain.

6 hours ago, SunFan said:

Same thing happened to me a month ago. They just showed up unannounced. They had a truck with ladders but no uniforms. An hour later I had high speed fiber as backup to my iLox.

SunFan

cost per month?  speed? options?

About 3 weeks  ago a Mx gentleman showed up at my door, asked if I wanted the Telmex fiberoptic, after  clapping my hands several times and saying thank you, I  said Yes.     I was  expecting that some date  would  be set up to do it. Nope,  right then an there. He had a clip board with names on it, including  my full name, which I do not use  generally, so thought he was legitimate . [ and my 5 dogs  would have voted no if he  was not ]  Up on the roof for a while, [ on a hot sunny day ] he asked to see my modem , switched it to a new one . He was very polite and courteous, checked the up / down speed , and that was that.  I offered a tip, which he  said he would not accept as he was doing his job, but would accept a cold Coke.       That night a really hard storm  went through including lots of wind and hail, and I did not loose the phone or Internet - a happy surprise, which  has not always happened. I am not a tecky person, to know what is good or bad, but just read  my speeds:  Up is 103,  and Down is 179. .  I asked about an extra fee for installation  or monthly bill, he said no, and when I just paid my bill it was the normal amount. 

• Like 2

Since 'rainy season"  I  have been a 'regular" at the Telmex office and  had Telmex out 3 times to  do repairs  I  have only  had the fiber for about 3 plus weeks, and gone through some pretty active rain /wind/hail twice/ weather in those 3 weeks , have not lost phone or Internet.. The night  of the install date was a doozy, and  kept watching my modem, and picking up the phone to test, and neither lost a 'beat' .the phone connection / clarity was better also... I  was impressed , .. This is not a Telmex commercial.. I am happily surprised  it is working well so far.

• Thanks 1

The same gentleman finished the connections on my fibre connection this morning - a few houses from Cyberjack on Independencia.  All is good and I have 200 down and 109 up. Telmex website does state that there in no installation fee for fibre optic.