Chapala.com Webboard

Chiles en Nogada

chapalence

If you're a fan or simply have never tried them, I highly recommend Mario's in SAT on Ramon Corona near the church. 

They are only serving them on the weekends,now thru September. Perfectly prepared, the presentation is lovely and the amount of rich, creamy sauce is not overwhelming. Served with rice and garlic toast for $165.

As an aside, they also fire up the bbq out front in the afternoon on weekends. They have several types of fish, along with shrimp and filet mignon that you can choose from.

• Like 2

Here is a good question that I don't understand.  Once in Puebla I tried to order chiles en nogada and they told me it was out of season.  And I notice here too it seems to be seasonal.  If they are using poblano peppers which are available year round how can chiles en nogada be considered a seasonal dish?  Food for thought........

10 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Here is a good question that I don't understand.  Once in Puebla I tried to order chiles en nogada and they told me it was out of season.  And I notice here too it seems to be seasonal.  If they are using poblano peppers which are available year round how can chiles en nogada be considered a seasonal dish?  Food for thought........

1.  Chiles en nogada
Chiles en nogada is a Mexican dish of poblano chiles stuffed with picadillo topped with a walnut-based cream sauce called nogada, pomegranate seeds and parsley, and it is typically served at room temperature. The picadillo usually contains panochera apple, sweet-milk pear and criollo peach. The cream sauce usually has milk, double cream, fresh cheese, sherry and walnut. The walnuts, which give the nogada sauce its name are traditionally of the cultivar nogal de Castilla. In some cases, pecans may substitute for or supplement the walnuts. The traditional season for making and eating this dish in Central Mexico is August and the first half of September, when pomegranates appear in the markets of the region and the national independence festivities begin. The coloration of the dish—green chile, white sauce, red pomegranate—further the patriotic associations, as these are the main colors of the flag of Mexico.Wikipedia
Type: Stuffed vegetable
Course: Main
Place of origin: Mexico (1821)
https://everythingplayadelcarmen.com/chiles-en-nogada-mexican-history-in-every-bite/

15 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

For a restaurant it is a very labor intensive meal, and uses a lot of ingredients not used for any other meals.  Since it is a traditional meal for independence day they only make it for a few weeks before. 

It was invented by nuns in Puebla in 1821 to honor Agustin de Iturbide  who signed the treaty of Cordoba giving Mexico independence from Spain. It includes the colors of the flag.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Pomegranates are now in season, nothing to do with the poblanos.

22 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Pomegranates are now in season, nothing to do with the poblanos.

Se ML reply above.  NOTHING to do with what's in season and everything to do with the legend surrounding those nuns who, upon learning they would be responsible Iturbe's celebratory meal and finding their larders simplistic and bare, invented this dish in a flurry of activity in order to present something worthy of such a personage.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, Natasha said:

Se ML reply above.  NOTHING to do with what's in season and everything to do with the legend surrounding those nuns who, upon learning they would be responsible Iturbe's celebratory meal and finding their larders simplistic and bare, invented this dish in a flurry of activity in order to present something worthy of such a personage.

They needed the pomegranates, in the days when this was created one could only get them in season.

• Like 1