Chapala.com Webboard

Trolls and their Feeders

hkrause

Did you know some people get enjoyment from watching the chaos they cause when others react to them flinging do-do? They specialize in stirring the pot so they can watch others scramble when it boils over. The best way to handle these "Trolls" is to simply ignore them, as difficult as that may be... They know what buttons to push to get reactions they need to feed their desire for attention! Discussion groups are the bridges these Trolls hide under. Can YOU cross the bridge without feeding the Trolls?

Not pointing any fingers, but I'm sure we can all think of some people (plural) who fit the mold. This board is a valuable resource for people seeking useful information, but I left for quite awhile because of the number of discussions that turned into Troll feeding frenzies. When you respond to a post, here or elsewhere, please take a moment to consider whether you might be bait, with somebody laughing their butt off because they managed to push your buttons.

And THANKS to all of the wonderful people who do their best to be helpful in their positive posts, comments and moderation. Your value to the community IS recognized, even if it's not stated often enough! 👍

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

I think there is another type besides the "Trolls". There are certain people who get as much pleasure as the "Trolls" by continuing to "feed the Trolls". No matter what you tell them, they just keep on every time a "Troll" posts. You can see who they are here, just as you can see the "trolls". These "Feeders" get too much pleasure to stop, just like the "Trolls". Both groups live for their opportunities here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Trolls look to "stir the pot," but not every post that gets reactions started with the intent to troll.

I have made many posts, looking for thoughts/suggestions and when applicable to give information. How my posts are taken is not up to me.

As I posted recently on the subject of communication: "Words don't mean people mean." So if one is looking for a post to label a "Troll," they will find it in their mind no matter what is put.

And then, there are a few people here who just enjoy being nasty, they are the high school bullies at the cyber level. Rather than block the person they label in their mind a "troll," they seem to wait for their Troll to make a post so they can jump at the chance to just be nasty.

Over the near two decades I have been on this board, I have been helped by many very nice people. I have received many PMs saying to ignore the bullies, but to date, for whatever reason I don't know, I haven't used the blocking feature. I will do that now and take their fun away.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

I think there is another type besides the "Trolls". There are certain people who get as much pleasure as the "Trolls" by continuing to "feed the Trolls". No matter what you tell them, they just keep on every time a "Troll" posts. You can see who they are here, just as you can see the "trolls". These "Feeders" get too much pleasure to stop, just like the "Trolls". Both groups live for their opportunities here.

Please be fair. In some cases, the trolls are so OTT that you have to take a stand. Yes, it gets nowhere and continues the cycle, but when a troll is continuously using this website to denigrate others, then a stand MUST be made. Does that make me a feeder? Probably.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tingting said:

Please be fair. In some cases, the trolls are so OTT that you have to take a stand. Yes, it gets nowhere and continues the cycle, but when a troll is continuously using this website to denigrate others, then a stand MUST be made. Does that make me a feeder? Probably.

Exactly. Why should some liar, propagandist, conspiracy theorist get to post crap, insult people, name call and no one does anything? Totally against the rules of fair play. Reap what you sow trolls. IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

The troll referred to above has stated that he has been posting on this board for many years, he posted nearly two decades.

It would appear that he must have been banned several times, because he has been posting under his present name since May 10th and has  so far made some 98 posts under his newest name. I have no idea what names he has used in the past.

27 minutes ago, johanson said:

The troll referred to above has stated that he has been posting on this board for many years, he posted nearly two decades.

It would appear that he must have been banned several times, because he has been posting under his present name since May 10th and has  so far made some 98 posts under his newest name. I have no idea what names he has used in the past.

There are only 3 people still on here from 2 decades ago and he ain't close to being one of them.

• Thanks 2

I'm just suggesting that if he has been here for a long time as he claims, that he had to have been posting using a different or in his case perhaps several different names. You know, changing his name after he was banned to a different name each time.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, Nikalos Telsa said:

Trolls look to "stir the pot," but not every post that gets reactions started with the intent to troll.

I have made many posts, looking for thoughts/suggestions and when applicable to give information. How my posts are taken is not up to me.

As I posted recently on the subject of communication: "Words don't mean people mean." So if one is looking for a post to label a "Troll," they will find it in their mind no matter what is put.

And then, there are a few people here who just enjoy being nasty, they are the high school bullies at the cyber level. Rather than block the person they label in their mind a "troll," they seem to wait for their Troll to make a post so they can jump at the chance to just be nasty.

Over the near two decades I have been on this board, I have been helped by many very nice people. I have received many PMs saying to ignore the bullies, but to date, for whatever reason I don't know, I haven't used the blocking feature. I will do that now and take their fun away.

Serious mental illness..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

Sometimes I just like to use an interesting name and maybe avoid the rectal orifices that need to flame someone/

Interesting names need to be spelled correctly to avoid ridicule.  Your constant daily attention gathering schemes are turning a lot of people against this forum.

• Thanks 5

37 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Interesting names need to be spelled correctly to avoid ridicule.  Your constant daily attention gathering schemes are turning a lot of people against this forum.

My guess is he can spell as well as many on this Forum, but he chose his own version just to rattle the chains of those hung up on spelling. Just another way to get some more Feed. YMMD