Chapala.com Webboard

What to do if you get a fake bill from an ATM

Some years ago I received a $500 from an HSBC cashier.   I tried to deposit with Actinver for a payment. They found it to be false, took out a stamp and stamped the bill "FALSO" on both sides.

I went right back to HSBC to report it and hopefully recover my money. The manager examined for about 15 minutes and declared that yes it was a fake. He then gave it back to me and said there was nothing he could do. 

Iasked if there was a report or something for the authorities and he said no. 

• Sad 1

Many years ago we went to Costco and used the ATM. One of the 500 Peso notes was missing a corner. When trying to use it at checkout the cashier said no. We asked to have the manager called. He listened to our story and said how could we prove it came out of THAT ATM and not from somewhere else. Besides, he added, we don't own that ATM. We had been in Mexico long enough to know we were going nowhere so just sucked it up. A week or so later our attorney swapped us a good bill and said his friend at the bank would take it from him. All part of life in Mexico...Viva Mexico!

• Like 1

For a bill of ANY denomination that is damaged..... but you have all the pieces ( if torn in half or more) OR it's just missing "some".... IF not a fake, take it to the bank  in Chapala just before traffic light on entering ( Santander??) and they will happily take it and give you equivalent

have done this several times over the years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I unknowingly paid my gardener with a forged 500 peso bill several years ago that I received from Multiva ATM machine and unknowingly passed it on to my gardener who returned it to me after having had it refused by three different retailers. I replaced it for him and headed over to Multiva with the forgery. After some questions and paperwork and a couple of months I also received a full replacement from Multiva.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Some how I do not feel any guilt or need to go to confession, or repeat 100 bloody marys. But feel some pay back for the short or diluted gas that I have received these past 20 years

That I can sympathize with and understand.

Goes to show ya that we  (0f course, I have to include myself,) shouldn't jump the gun on judging cuz we hardly ever know all the conditions.