Chapala.com Webboard

I assume you are soon traveling to Europe.Ā  We recently returned from France and Spain.Ā  We bought Euros at the airport in Madrid thinking we would need them someplace like cabs or stores or trains.Ā  But no.Ā  You use your debit or credit card everywhere even to buy a Coke in a small store.Ā  It is pretty much a cashless society.Ā  Don't go to any great problem to get Euros.Ā  We only used them for street performers.Ā  They also do not tip in Europe although we did a little just to use up our cash.

Alan

15 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

That was not the question. And can you.identify which local ATM will.give you Euros???

Airport was suggested thus I posted " Airports have the worst exchange rates."Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Read my post "Only get what you would need for one day then use an ATM. The best exchange rate is with Visa or Mastercard at the ATM" .....Obviously it would be the ATM after you arrive.....

48 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Airport was suggested thus I posted " Airports have the worst exchange rates."Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Read my post "Only get what you would need for one day then use an ATM. The best exchange rate is with Visa or Mastercard at the ATM" .....Obviously it would be the ATM after you arrive.....

Silly me, of course at the point of destination

6 hours ago, barrbower said:

I assume you are soon traveling to Europe.Ā  We recently returned from France and Spain.Ā  We bought Euros at the airport in Madrid thinking we would need them someplace like cabs or stores or trains.Ā  But no.Ā  You use your debit or credit card everywhere even to buy a Coke in a small store.Ā  It is pretty much a cashless society.Ā  Don't go to any great problem to get Euros.Ā  We only used them for street performers.Ā  They also do not tip in Europe although we did a little just to use up our cash.

Alan

not all countries in Europe go by the same rules or do the same.. so do not assume that because you were in France and Spain you know about other European countries. For your information we do tip in France but the tip is included in the bill and it is also common to leave some change on top of what is included.

Yes the best way to get Euros is at the ATMs in Europe.. You do not need them until you get there.. so it is a no brainer. Get some at the ATM s at the airport.

I only mentioned France and Spain because those two places were the only ones I was familiar with.Ā  I'm sure other countries are different.Ā  We also used the ATM for Euros and it was quite easy.Ā  Fees seemed to vary.Ā  You can request a tip be added before they run the card but it was never automatically included in the bill.Ā  The big difference in Spain and France seems to be that they pay a living wage to the workers who then don't require tips to survive.

Alan

a 15% tip is included in the bill in France, like it or know.. It has been that way as far as I can remember and I am 76..We also leave change.. It may not show as tip any longer but it is there, believe me and waiters salaries are largely funded by the tip.. They could not eat if the tip were not included. Many waiters pay to get a job in the more popular places because of the money they make on tipsĀ  or at least they used to pay. I do not know if they still do as in the old days tips were always cash and no taxes were paid but now with cards , it is tougher to cheat. The French IRS know by the business volume how much tips should be earned and if it is very low they will add taxes...

21 hours ago, bmh said:

not all countries in Europe go by the same rules or do the same.. so do not assume that because you were in France and Spain you know about other European countries. For your information we do tip in France but the tip is included in the bill and it is also common to leave some change on top of what is included.

Yes the best way to get Euros is at the ATMs in Europe.. You do not need them until you get there.. so it is a no brainer. Get some at the ATM s at the airport.

There is a better way than ATMs to pay your bills in Euros. I am going soon and the flights, train trips and entries to sites and museums

have all been paid in advance via one of my CC which gives a discount on anything I purchase.