Chapala.com Webboard

Current solar system cost

It doesn't matter what HE has. You need to contact either GoSolar or Nyah at Opiere to give you a quote on what YOU need to accomplish what YOU want based on past bills.

I also only fill up my propane tank once a year and it's never below 50% when I top it up... and my tank holds 180 litres not 300. I have an on demand propane water heater that has piezo ignition. My WANTS were a thermostatically controlled electric heater and a counter top electric convection oven. Have both now and I still pay less than 2,000 pesos a year for utilities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Good information.  How much solar do you have to accomplish this?

22 X 240 watt panels installed 10  plus years ago. Can't get to the second story roof to clean the panels so I lose a lot of efficiency and as the panels age they deteriorate as well.  They seem to max out at 3.5 to 4 Kw per hour now.

But everything seems bulletproof.

Well paid off. Maybe I'll contact GOSOLAR for his new 500 watt panels and micro-inverters and add my Koi pond.

Can't understand why AMLO is so anti renewables? Paid off. México could be a solar powered country with the new battery technology.

SunFan

"Rooftop solar is so 2020". I read that quote this morning as I googled the results of "solar panels and agriculture". There are many links to choose from but I'll post just one of them... https://www.agritecture.com/blog/2022/2/3/largest-farm-to-grow-crops-under-solar-panels-proves-to-be-a-bumper-crop-for-agrivoltaic-land-use

Then there's "The Source" ... a photovoltaic system which produces potable water... "This Solar Hydropanel Can Pull 10 Liters of Drinking Water Per Day Out of the Air"... https://www.treehugger.com/solar-hydropanel-can-pull-liters-drinking-water-day-out-air-4858522

This is a better video on the source water panels than the two provided in the above video...

• Like 1

I hear ya. We wanted solar panels on the San Pancho House we built in 2006 but there were no local installers in PV at the time. Then 2008 hit and but there still weren't any. We sold in 2011 then came here and rented. When I bought this house in 2016, solar was the first expensive change I made to this house. The dream is now a reality.

GoSolar installed the panels on my house 8 years ago.  Last year they were moved from an area that is now shaded to more direct sun. This was done after another company told me the panels were shot and I needed a totally new system. 

I can't say enough good about the communication and skill level of this company.  Not to mention the quality of their product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

So many people highly recommended Go Solar (STI Solar Technology) to me; and I have been very happy with every aspect - quality, price, and top notch installation and support.     Very professional.      They have just installed a very large commercial system at the Chapala Country Club, as well as many years of residential systems.     I am also using them again to soon add a energy storage & backup system with lithium ion battery technology.      No more CFE outages to worry about.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had Go Solar-STI- do our installation of both panels and water heater. They used the most logical method of determining our needs resulting in the lowest initial cost and the quickest recoup of our investment.

Most importantly, their follow up service has been impeccable. 

Go Solar is Ron Magen. Knowledgeable, personable, and a solid business person representing STI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are presently living with 5000+ CFE bills for the two month period... We got rid of our second refrigerator that came with the house and our billings dropped 1000 pesos...We are prime candidates for solar HOWEVER, in 6 months we have not been able to get CFE to put the account in our name... First they wanted a copy of our deed, Then our RFC, then the Constantia de Situation Fiscal... We provided all that but since we have two meters, CFE needs to have them combined... This week's to do list... THEN we will apply for a solar system meter which probably will be another fiasco... 

Having lived here previously, we know that there is not a spanish translation for customer service so we go with the flow...

20 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

Who ever installs solar panels  usually gets you a solar meter 

Getting the meter is easy. The problem rvanparys has is getting the account in their name so they can get the correct meter. Getting their problem with ownership change with CFE is not the solar installers job. Nor should any solar company be expected to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rvanparys said:

We are presently living with 5000+ CFE bills for the two month period... We got rid of our second refrigerator that came with the house and our billings dropped 1000 pesos...We are prime candidates for solar HOWEVER, in 6 months we have not been able to get CFE to put the account in our name... First they wanted a copy of our deed, Then our RFC, then the Constantia de Situation Fiscal... We provided all that but since we have two meters, CFE needs to have them combined... This week's to do list... THEN we will apply for a solar system meter which probably will be another fiasco... 

Having lived here previously, we know that there is not a spanish translation for customer service so we go with the flow...

This can all be done together as a package,  meter / service combining, name / account change, and solar application process and typically we can get it all done in far less than 2 months, let alone 6, as long as you have valid proof of ownership.      CFE slows down a bit during the holidays and New Year but not by THAT much!    🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

Who ever installs solar panels  usually gets you a solar meter 

For clarity,  for residential customers, CFE supplies and changes the meter from "regular" to the solar bidirectional one.     The solar provider creates the CFE solar application for the client to sign and can submit it to CFE.    Following this, the client goes to CFE to sign the solar contracts, and this step drives the CFE account re-registration as solar and the meter change.      CFE does not "charge" for the new meter, apart from a "deposit" they put on the first post-solar billing of about 500 pesos.     (really an admin fee, as it is not refundable like a true deposit would be).     But being a monopoly, they can call it whatever they want.....  😉