Chapala.com Webboard

Current solar system cost

• tomgates changed the title to Current solar system cost

At Have Hammer Will Travel A.C woodworking school we had Opiere solar install our 14 panels.

we recommend them, they have there own crew and electrician on board.

During our installation the electrician was brilliant and was able to upstand what was needed to be done.

other solar companies told us we had to hire our own electrician,

The HHWT board of directors interviewed 11 solar installers.

you want one who has there own crew and electrician.

Its been up and running no problems for over 4 years, CFE bill went from $5000 pesos to about $150 pesos a month.

call Opiere Solar for best quote

Very easy to check directly.  Contact GoSolar on this board.  We have one of their systems and it has been excellent for 3 years.  Had one problem with a micro inverter not reporting correctly and it was promptly taken care of.

STI doesn't move around or change hands.  They are excellent engineers and electricians.  I recommend them highly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have had solar panels since the first year they arrived lakeside.  I too would highly recommend Opiere Solar. The last time they came out to determine whether I had a problem or not, they discovered that everything was fine.  And didn't charge me for their visit.  The problem turned out to be several outdoor lights that were on 24/7, that I hadn't noticed. I have heard other good things about other companies as well. But to me, the best lakeside is Opiere Solar.

By the way, their offices have just moved and are just West of Mom's Deli

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Very easy to check directly.  Contact GoSolar on this board.  We have one of their systems and it has been excellent for 3 years.  Had one problem with a micro inverter not reporting correctly and it was promptly taken care of.

STI doesn't move around or change hands.  They are excellent engineers and electricians.  I recommend them highly.

Ditto.

2 hours ago, tkessler2 said:

That would be about 11 450 watt solar panels at roughly $200 each..  A 5 kw decent string inverter for about $1300 dlls,   Thats about $3500 in panels and inverter.  Racking, installation, etc...maybe $1500.  I'd think you could get it done for 5-6 thousand USD.  

Thks, very helpful

• Like 2

I suggest you talk to the two expert installers that are listed in this thread. I HAVE a 5 kwh system (aka produces 5 to 8 kwh PER DAY in ideal conditions). Consists of five 350 watt panels (which means it can produce up to 350 watts PER HOUR PER PANEL in ideal conditions). They are monocrystalline which is the best. Installed in March of 2018 for less than $5,000 U.S. and included installation. I have previously posted my receipt on this forum.

36 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I HAVE a 5 kwh system (aka produces 5 to 8 kwh PER DAY in ideal conditions). 

Just for clarification, a 5kw system has the capacity to generate that amount of electricity at any one point in time. I have a 5kw system in Guayabitos that generally produces about 30kw per day while the 3kw system in Ajijic has averaged about 17 per day over the last 11 years. Bothof them have free standing inverters.

• Thanks 1

Exactly. I think perhaps there is a good deal of confusion between what you need to produce per day and the nomenclature of a system. For example, my system is designated as a 1.75 kwh (5 x 350 watt panels) yet it produces a lot more than that in ideal conditions. That's why you need the experts who will take into account your consumption for the last 12 months and size your system accordingly. No point producing more than you need  because CFE is going to claw it back at the end of every year.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, tomgates said:

What is the current cost of installing a 5.0 kw system with micro inverters? Ballpark is good. 

Actually if you want something real  What is you average daily consumption in KWH at what location?   

A 220volt 5kw system in Chapala latitude priced on 8-13

4  400w panels @ $4100 each =  $16,400 apx $840US

1 Apsystems 1500w micro invertor$7929  apx $400US

Apsystems cable $625   Apx $21US

Apsystems 4 panel monitor $2999  apx $155US

Typical 4 panel mount $4000 or apx $205US

so $31,593 or apx $1,621US  plus

Labor, wiring conduit & breaker will depend on installation 

1.JPG

• Like 1

So with that particular system at 32,000 pesos and maybe a typical installation of, say, 30,000 pesos... that's is 62,000 pesos or a bit over $3,100USD.

If that is accurate, that is surely a no-brainer if one is a typical user. Someone in or toying with DAC... run, don't walk to get that installed.

• Like 1

Times sure have changed. In 2011 I installed a 24 x 128 watt thin film panel system with a 3kw inverter for $16,000US. 

While costly, it has produced close to 70,000 kwh since the install. While the payback period was longer, the investment was worth it.

51 minutes ago, RickS said:

So with that particular system at 32,000 pesos and maybe a typical installation of, say, 30,000 pesos... that's is 62,000 pesos or a bit over $3,100USD.

If that is accurate, that is surely a no-brainer if one is a typical user. Someone in or toying with DAC... run, don't walk to get that installed.

Actual installation should be far less  I did a 4 panel with a helper in 6 hours. The breaker conduit and wiring under $1200mx (I had space in my box for the 220v breaker)

Just depends how much a solar installer wants to mark it up.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, Mainecoons said:

Thanks MC!    STI Solar Technology has just been selected over all other firms to provide and install a 108 panel commercial system at lakeside, more details to follow; it is designed to cover 100% of the organization's consumption from CFE and continue their "green path" that they started quite a few years ago.      The board chose STI not only for an excellent design and highly competitive pricing; but even more so for the top quality service and support that STI has provided for 16+ years to the organization and many of its member's homes.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Thanks MC!    STI Solar Technology has just been selected over all other firms to provide and install a 108 panel commercial system at lakeside, more details to follow; it is designed to cover 100% of the organization's consumption from CFE and continue their "green path" that they started quite a few years ago.      The board chose STI not only for an excellent design and highly competitive pricing; but even more so for the top quality service and support that STI has provided for 16+ years to the organization and many of its member's homes.      

So how accurate is what Mostlylost is describing?

The OP asked about the cost of a 5 kW system......a 5 kW system would be made up of (just as an example) of 10 x 500 watt panels, and is rated to produce about 25 to 30 kWh per day, on a year round avg basis, at lakeside.       

Other posters replied with info about 4 panel systems to produce 5 kWh per day......from a system of 1.3 to 1.6 kW. 

Important to understand the difference.       

Each kW of properly installed good quality panels  (1 kW being such as 4 x 250 or 2 x 500 watt panels, for example) can give about 5 kWh per day, on avg.

The info provided by ML and Rick S would be in the ballpark for typical projects.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The other benefit of solar pV and water heating is the displacement of propane use.

Gradually switch your oven. stove, clothes dryer over to electric.

I now get my propane tank topped up once a year to supply my BBQ and outdoor pizza oven. Saves thousands of pesos annually.

My annual cost for gas and electricity for a house with a pool and pressure pump for irrigation is about $2,000 pesos

Sunfan

• Thanks 2