Chapala.com Webboard

Dennis McCann (gringohombre)

Hello everybody, I'm new to the board but not new to the area.   For the past 8 years my wife and I have been spending 6 or 7 months in the Lake Chapala area to escape the Canadian winters.

Yesterday I was contacted by the brother of Dennis McCann who you all knew as gringohombre.  Dennis is my wife's cousin and his family had not heard from or been able to make contact with him for several weeks.  They knew that we saw him often while we were in Mexico so they asked me if I could track him down.  I was able to contact the family that Dennis rented his house from and learned that he had died sometime around 20 June but they were not able to give me any details.

I'm trying to gather as much information as I can on behalf of his family.  So, I have a few things I'm hoping somebody out there might be able to help me with or point me to where I can get the information.  PM me if you think it more appropriate for some of this stuff.

Does anyone know or heard how Dennis died?
Does anyone have experience with an expat dying in Mexico with no local family?  (Dennis was a Permanent Resident)
What happens with the body? (cremated, held in the morgue?)
Will there be a medical or police report that we can access?

The family will be contacting the US Consulate in Guadalajara and I will give them Spencer McMullen's contact information in case they need his services.

I don't know at this time what, if anything, Dennis's family is going to do but I do know that they will be contacting me with their questions so I'm just trying to prepare myself.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Like 2

All funeral homes have to notify the deceased respective Embassy/Consulates. If you know the FH who carried out the process , they will have a copy of the death certificate, cause and doctor who verified the death. If you have just cause they will cooperate with you. The E/C will contact SS/ pension department.

In the interests of recent foreign resident who don't know..........especially those here alone:

1. Lakeside 7 said: All funeral homes have to notify the deceased respective Embassy/Consulates. If you know the FH who carried out the process.       

NOTE.. a person whose death has not been attended or signed off in situ by their own physician, which same can declare death from XXXX previously medical cause, is sent to the morgue. If Red Cross  or police are involved without attending physician... same thing. ONLY family member can identify remains at this point.... immediate is best, cousins,  nieces, nephews, etc. in a stretch  (with proper I.D.) You CANNOT designate a personal friend for this I.D.  Morgue will not notify any consulate or embassy. Not their job.

Therefore, remains will stay in morgue for as long as it takes........ until this requirement is satisfied.  ( Yes, personal experience here. One month for one person,  a little longer for another while applicable family came from NOB). Only at this point will funeraria become involved.  And only then will notifications, death certificates, etc. begin.

I'm telling you this because IF you are here alone, it's really important you make a few arrangements in advance. Setting up funeraria wishes is one step. You can give them requisite information on family contacts,  handling of remains, citizenship, etc. They will do what's required at that point.

There are more very important things to tell, but send me a p.m. if interested. Not wanting to disturb this post .........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Cuauhtémoc Kish said:

I lost contact with a friend, Charles Rutherford. He was living in Lake Chapala & I assume, he is now deceased.

I have tried F-book, email, and last phone contact.

Is there a registry I can visit to ascertain my friend's death?

Who do you think is going to reply about your friend when the title of the post is in another deceased person's name? IMO you need to start another post with your friends name in it.   Or, Yo1 gave you a good place to start your research. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Cuauhtémoc Kish said:

I lost contact with a friend, Charles Rutherford. He was living in Lake Chapala & I assume, he is now deceased.

I have tried F-book, email, and last phone contact.

Is there a registry I can visit to ascertain my friend's death?

I recall seeing a post on FB about a year ago that he died.

I have no further info than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

Use some common sense. Who do you think is going to reply about your friend when the title of the post is in another deceased person's name? IMO you need to start another post with your friends name in it.   Or, Yo1 gave you a good place to start your research. 

And a very Merry Christmas to you too.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Whipstock said:

Use some common sense. Who do you think is going to reply about your friend when the title of the post is in another deceased person's name? IMO you need to start another post with your friends name in it.   Or, Yo1 gave you a good place to start your research. 

Still grumpy about the coal in your stocking, CrabbyPants?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1