Chapala.com Webboard

Big Thank You to Happyjillin

Asked him for his expert opinion on a "possibly" antique chair to sell.  Info received was exactly what I needed and more.  👍If I ever figure out how to get pictures added .... sigh........will be putting it up on the for sale section.  Thanks again, amigo

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Natasha said:

Asked him for his expert opinion on a "possibly" antique chair to sell.  Info received was exactly what I needed and more.  👍If I ever figure out how to get pictures added .... sigh........will be putting it up on the for sale section.  Thanks again, amigo

Well let me ask, is it considered and antique when your sitting on it ? 😊

I have a 100 + year old cranberry glass decanter and glasses set from my husband's grandmother and a gold pendant with a glass section on the back to hold a lock of hair which was also from her and which she inherited from her mother.

• Like 2

I have up in Seattle a collection of old coins collected by my grandfather, Some are quite old, you know 1890s etc. What I remember most is some Canadian currency he collected including Canadian 25 cent paper currency.

• Like 1

I have two family heirlooms: a Sheridan style cherry wood drop leaf table and a shelf clock with wooden gears. I have been told by several dealers that the style of table was popular in New England in the 1830's. The clock maker was in business from the mid 1820's to the mid 1830's. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I have two family heirlooms: a Sheridan style cherry wood drop leaf table and a shelf clock with wooden gears. I have been told by several dealers that the style of table was popular in New England in the 1830's. The clock maker was in business from the mid 1820's to the mid 1830's. 

It's  "Sheraton" style. Sheraton was an English designer only  but never actually made anything. That style in England dates back to the 4th quarter 18th century. In  the US  the period and style is called Federal from 1810-1840. Country makers carried on making tables like that into the 1880's and they were made in more states and provinces than New England.  . Do you know the clock makers name?

• Like 1

I bought this circa 1725 Philadelphia ladder back arm chair before I started picking for a living. Had a rush seat made for it. the finials were removed and the feet cut sometime before 1850 as that is probably when the black paint was applied over the original red. Sold it for $1000CDN.

picking adventures philly circa 1725.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, happyjillin said:

It's  "Sheraton" style. Sheraton was an English designer only  but never actually made anything. That style in England dates back to the 4th quarter 18th century. In  the US  the period and style is called Federal from 1810-1840. Country makers carried on making tables like that into the 1880's and they were made in more states and provinces than New England.  . Do you know the clock makers name?

The clockmaker was Samuel Terry & Co brother of Eli Terry.

• Like 1

I have a walnut and marble bedroom suit from the 1850's.  It came from a Louisiana plantation and a newspaper here in Oklahoma did an article on it.  As you know bed length's were shorter back in those days and as I am 6'1'  a great fit it is not.  I had a special mattress and box springs made for it.  The bed is shorter and wider than a regular size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I have a walnut and marble bedroom suit from the 1850's.  It came from a Louisiana plantation and a newspaper here in Oklahoma did an article on it.  As you know bed length's were shorter back in those days and as I am 6'1'  a great fit it is not.  I had a special mattress and box springs made for it.  The bed is shorter and wider than a regular size.

Renaissance Revival and the more or less standard length of beds was 72" and the general width of 19th century beds was 48".

3 hours ago, mkshawn said:

Looks very comfy, once finished with appropriate cushions, leave the wear points! (not the seat) possible remnants of a flower pot??

You have a lot to learn[no disrespect meant]. That is what is left of the ORIGINAL green finish and at one time there was a potty in it[found in an old folks home] and because of that cut out it's only worth $800-1000cdn. I restored it after I got it from a dealer who did this[see foto] to it. Have sat on Windsor chairs most of my adult life. It is the most ergonomically chair design and until i lost almost all my muscled and all my fat I never needed a cushion. If you are suggesting refinish,it would  be worth only about 100-200 bucks Canadian

1780.jpg

No offence taken. Well a Potty was actually the 1st thing that came to mind, have seen several modified chairs for an underside addition. This is a different image of a similar or same thing? Always hard to tell what may have occurred without the additional images. As to the addition, that's up to ### currently ensconced on the throne. Still a nice piece, which was my only intent. Have a good day.......

• 7 months later...