Chapala.com Webboard

Dentist recommendations for teeth cleaning

I have been going to Doctor Haro's office for teeth cleaning for years and have noticed he is getting quite expensive. I phoned today and was quoted a price of 1000 pesos for teeth cleaning. Everyone I talk to, says that is very very expensive. So I checked with the Dr. Candy A Ugalde Mecado office and they said the price for cleaning there is 300 pesos.

What am I missing here. If I remember correctly, there have been many good posts about Dr. Candy and her office.

I would love some good advise about getting teeth cleaned and where to go. Thanks in advance for any advise you might post

I think that my last cleaning with Dr. Barragan.... himself.... in February was 750 pesos. 

33 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Dr. Candy cleans teeth with ultrasound. I have used her many times. Good job. 

I don't think that any dentist uses any other process than that now.  Haven't had a 'scraping' cleaning in many a year. 

1 hour ago, chicamysterious said:

I had a lot of work done at Dental Express. They had some bad reviews but I spoke to Dr Macias and it was the most pleasant experience I've ever had at a dentist. I now question some of the reviews. And very good pricing

Was this recent... that you spoke directly with Dr. Macias?  Do you know if he is back in Ajijic 'permanently' now?  For the last few years he has mostly been in the US... Houston to be exact... and rarely to my knowledge at 'his' Dental Express office.

I've had several things done with/by him in the past and think that he is excellent. But in the last few years I don't find him in Ajijic much.   Just wondering if anything has changed in his schedule.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

Was this recent... that you spoke directly with Dr. Macias?  Do you know if he is back in Ajijic 'permanently' now?  For the last few years he has mostly been in the US... Houston to be exact... and rarely to my knowledge at 'his' Dental Express office.

I've had several things done with/by him in the past and think that he is excellent. But in the last few years I don't find him in Ajijic much.   Just wondering if anything has changed in his schedule.

I believe his son is there running the place. I think I paid around 400 pesos for a very good cleaning.

4 hours ago, rvanparys said:

Dr Haro has been charging $1000 pesos for awhile... I feel that this is a fair price... Especially after I paid $375 USD to have my dog's teeth cleaned up north...

I agree, it’s a fair price, considering also that’s it’s a dentist actually doing the cleaning and doing a full check up and also X-rays included if need be.  

• Like 2

Dra. Candy's office has on staff a hygienist, Dra. Alexandra, who I've pegged as a perfectionist and feel (based upon several experiences with her) does an exceptional job with teeth cleaning.    And at a current cost of only MX$300 for the professional treatment, the fee surely has to be one of the world's most incredible bargains. 

The dental office is located in Laguna Plaza next to HSBC bank.

• Like 1

That's good to hear because about 2 years ago I had a consultation with Dra. Candy and what I thought was going to be a cleaning by HER. After the consultation she briefly left the room and came back with a very young looking male and said HE would do the cleaning. This surprised me. 

This young man took no more than 15 minutes cleaning.... which was VERY substandard in its quality.... and then announced that he was done and I was led to the front and charged 500 pesos! Later I learned that the young man was her brother who was in early dental school.

Now the consultation by Dra. Candy was understood to be "gratis" and was very professional and answered my questions and concerns totally. But using an unqualified student for my cleaning was neither expected or appreciated nor professional IMO.

end of rant...

I think 1,000 p for teeth cleaning is way too expensive for here.   VanParys is comparing US prices to here (and Vets are getting quite rich in the States, too).  People fly down here from NOB for dental procedures.

I have gone to Dr. Candy, actually Alejandra, her other dentist, cleaned and did a great job in January for 300 p.   The only caution is not to have all the procedures she is recommending, following up after your cleaning.   I would recommend her for cleaning, just cautioning that they are making a lot of money with the followup procedures.