Chapala.com Webboard

Need information on getting and using U.S. cell phone here.

i need information about a trac or walmart cheap phone bought in the us, given a us number and sent to me here in mexico.  My problem - I did not think I needed a us number when moving here but found out I do in order to get the security code to get to my bank and vanguard accounts.  I can reach them by calling their 800 jnumbers using my telcel mobile but doing that uses up a lot of data time.  So a friend in CA offered to get me a cheap phone in walmart - with a us number - and fedex it to me here. the phone would not have any kind of verison etc  plan - just a monthly payment - sorft of like all those phones in movies that gangsters us and throw away -

I admit to my ignorance - so please no comments about how STUPID I am - the question is - will this work if it is purchased int he states by someone other than me - - has a us number and  sent here - can I then easily use it to get the securtiy codes I need t get into my accounts?  Somehow i think there may be a hangup if I didn't buy it in the us and bring it here with me - or else it might be simple - but nothing really is simple anymore at least for me - thanks for information.  

• moderator-2 changed the title to Need information on getting and using U.S. cell phone here.

yes i think that is the case - i know vanguard wont even manage a  clients money  if they live outside the counry  so am using my daughters us address  and could use her phone number as well i suppose but it would be much better if i didn't have to bother her with my stuff - - i have to be careful i get the right information - evidently with vanguard I can drop the security code altogether - just discovered that and may go that route - 

Tracphone will not receive texts in Mexico. Most pre-pay phones/plans will not receive texts outside of the US or Canada. 

Suggest a cheap unlocked GSM 4G with VoLTE

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Factory-Unlocked-TA-1339-Android/dp/B09DR9DB4P/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CJ2WZFK6VA0Z&keywords=nokia+c20&qid=1659374757&sprefix=nokia+c20%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

and you can get a $3.00 per month sim that uses TMobile and will receive texts worldwide available on  Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114395204612?hash=item1aa27c4c04:g:56IAAOSwNqpfXdLR

• Like 1

I bought a cheap ($39.95) at&t phone at Walmart, includes sim card with US number. Easy to unlock, if you need to for some reason. I use the $0.10 per minute/$ 0.20 per text plan and have $25 added automatically every 3 months ( do that on the Internet). It serves me extremely well. No problem with 800 numbers, just dial like you are in the US. I also use at&t 150p per 25 days plan on my Mexican phone and I can call the US as much as I want in those 25 days, including 800 numbers. Think about it. For us, easy way to go. Suerte, Dj !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Bowie said:

I bought a cheap ($39.95) at&t phone at Walmart, includes sim card with US number. Easy to unlock, if you need to for some reason. I use the $0.10 per minute/$ 0.20 per text plan and have $25 added automatically every 3 months ( do that on the Internet). It serves me extremely well. No problem with 800 numbers, just dial like you are in the US. I also use at&t 150p per 25 days plan on my Mexican phone and I can call the US as much as I want in those 25 days, including 800 numbers. Think about it. For us, easy way to go. Suerte, Dj !

This is a "Prepaid Plan" phone, not just a regular phone.

Years ago I bought a MajicJack.....uses an Atlanta Georgia area code that I chose and has no added costs ....I pay about $25.00 US a year and it has UNLIMITED calls to USA/Canada. It also can call any toll free number at no charge. I receive codes via that number and onto my computer. My bank and credit cards have never questioned this phone number

2 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

Years ago I bought a MajicJack.....uses an Atlanta Georgia area code that I chose and has no added costs ....I pay about $25.00 US a year and it has UNLIMITED calls to USA/Canada. It also can call any toll free number at no charge. I receive codes via that number and onto my computer. My bank and credit cards have never questioned this phone number

Many banks and brokers will not send codes to a VOIP phone number. To name just a couple, Capital one, Etrade, Fidelity.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fred Habacht said:

I am offered a numerical security code by Capital One as well as my investment company.

At this point they have not discovered your number is a VOIP number. Mine worked a couple of years ago too Then one by one they stopped. When I called they stated because that number is a VOIP number their system would not allow.   I  had that number for 18 years. 

Maybe you will be lucky and they will not discover your number.

Capital One is the only US entity I have that knows about Magic Jack prefixes and refuses to send SMS texts to them. Like others, I added my brother's cell to my account and when needed coordinate a text handoff. Fortunately they're rarely needed.

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Capital One is the only US entity I have that knows about Magic Jack prefixes and refuses to send SMS texts to them. Like others, I added my brother's cell to my account and when needed coordinate a text handoff. Fortunately they're rarely needed.

Capital one, Etrade, Fidelity.

Ameritrade works but I don't know what will happen after Schwab completes the acquisition sometime next year. Ameritrade currently allows phone numbers starting with +52 but my primary phone, which is where I receive texts, is a US number.