Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Need information on getting and using U.S. cell phone here.


Recommended Posts

i need information about a trac or walmart cheap phone bought in the us, given a us number and sent to me here in mexico.  My problem - I did not think I needed a us number when moving here but found out I do in order to get the security code to get to my bank and vanguard accounts.  I can reach them by calling their 800 jnumbers using my telcel mobile but doing that uses up a lot of data time.  So a friend in CA offered to get me a cheap phone in walmart - with a us number - and fedex it to me here. the phone would not have any kind of verison etc  plan - just a monthly payment - sorft of like all those phones in movies that gangsters us and throw away -

 

I admit to my ignorance - so please no comments about how STUPID I am - the question is - will this work if it is purchased int he states by someone other than me - - has a us number and  sent here - can I then easily use it to get the securtiy codes I need t get into my accounts?  Somehow i think there may be a hangup if I didn't buy it in the us and bring it here with me - or else it might be simple - but nothing really is simple anymore at least for me - thanks for information.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • moderator-2 changed the title to Need information on getting and using U.S. cell phone here.

yes i think that is the case - i know vanguard wont even manage a  clients money  if they live outside the counry  so am using my daughters us address  and could use her phone number as well i suppose but it would be much better if i didn't have to bother her with my stuff - - i have to be careful i get the right information - evidently with vanguard I can drop the security code altogether - just discovered that and may go that route - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tracphone will not receive texts in Mexico. Most pre-pay phones/plans will not receive texts outside of the US or Canada. 

Suggest a cheap unlocked GSM 4G with VoLTE

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Factory-Unlocked-TA-1339-Android/dp/B09DR9DB4P/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CJ2WZFK6VA0Z&keywords=nokia+c20&qid=1659374757&sprefix=nokia+c20%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

and you can get a $3.00 per month sim that uses TMobile and will receive texts worldwide available on  Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114395204612?hash=item1aa27c4c04:g:56IAAOSwNqpfXdLR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a cheap ($39.95) at&t phone at Walmart, includes sim card with US number. Easy to unlock, if you need to for some reason. I use the $0.10 per minute/$ 0.20 per text plan and have $25 added automatically every 3 months ( do that on the Internet). It serves me extremely well. No problem with 800 numbers, just dial like you are in the US. I also use at&t 150p per 25 days plan on my Mexican phone and I can call the US as much as I want in those 25 days, including 800 numbers. Think about it. For us, easy way to go. Suerte, Dj !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jim Bowie said:

I bought a cheap ($39.95) at&t phone at Walmart, includes sim card with US number. Easy to unlock, if you need to for some reason. I use the $0.10 per minute/$ 0.20 per text plan and have $25 added automatically every 3 months ( do that on the Internet). It serves me extremely well. No problem with 800 numbers, just dial like you are in the US. I also use at&t 150p per 25 days plan on my Mexican phone and I can call the US as much as I want in those 25 days, including 800 numbers. Think about it. For us, easy way to go. Suerte, Dj !

This is a "Prepaid Plan" phone, not just a regular phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago I bought a MajicJack.....uses an Atlanta Georgia area code that I chose and has no added costs ....I pay about $25.00 US a year and it has UNLIMITED calls to USA/Canada. It also can call any toll free number at no charge. I receive codes via that number and onto my computer. My bank and credit cards have never questioned this phone number

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

Years ago I bought a MajicJack.....uses an Atlanta Georgia area code that I chose and has no added costs ....I pay about $25.00 US a year and it has UNLIMITED calls to USA/Canada. It also can call any toll free number at no charge. I receive codes via that number and onto my computer. My bank and credit cards have never questioned this phone number

Many banks and brokers will not send codes to a VOIP phone number. To name just a couple, Capital one, Etrade, Fidelity.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Fred Habacht said:

I am offered a numerical security code by Capital One as well as my investment company.

At this point they have not discovered your number is a VOIP number. Mine worked a couple of years ago too Then one by one they stopped. When I called they stated because that number is a VOIP number their system would not allow.   I  had that number for 18 years. 

Maybe you will be lucky and they will not discover your number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Capital One is the only US entity I have that knows about Magic Jack prefixes and refuses to send SMS texts to them. Like others, I added my brother's cell to my account and when needed coordinate a text handoff. Fortunately they're rarely needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Capital One is the only US entity I have that knows about Magic Jack prefixes and refuses to send SMS texts to them. Like others, I added my brother's cell to my account and when needed coordinate a text handoff. Fortunately they're rarely needed.

Capital one, Etrade, Fidelity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ameritrade works but I don't know what will happen after Schwab completes the acquisition sometime next year. Ameritrade currently allows phone numbers starting with +52 but my primary phone, which is where I receive texts, is a US number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...