Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. NOTARIZATIONS AT LCS - MEMBERS ONLY FOR LIMITED TIME

U.S. NOTARIZATIONS Charles (“Chuck”) D. Wilder, Esq., who is an LCS member and a Board Certified Florida attorney, is also what is known as a Civillaw Notary. This allows him to notarize documents here in Mexico that are valid for recording, filing or other notarization purposes back in the U.S. He will be here an available on the LCS campus from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm on Friday, August 19, 2022 and 10:00 am to 1:00 pm Tuesday, August 23, 2022 to assist members with notarizing documents for the nominal fees of $35 for the first document and $25 for each additional document. Chuck will accept US currency or equivalent cash in pesos. [Please note a requirement of the Civil-law Notary commission under Florida law is that he keep a copy of each document he notarizes in his protocol. You will be required to make a copy in the LCS office of each document to provide him for his protocol at your expense.]

Being an attorney doesn't change the fact that the only legal notary outside the  US is the consulate. All attorneys are notaries. 

You can use a foreign notary but then you need it approved in the US and jump through some other hoops, or the simple way, use the consulate.

"Notarizing officers at any United States Embassy or Consulate abroad can provide notarial services similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary and then have the document authenticated for use in the United States. In countries that are party to the Hague Apostille Convention, this is a simplified process that does not involve Embassies or Consulates. See the Hague Conference website for complete information on the Apostille process."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/records-and-authentications/authenticate-your-document/Notarial-Authentication-Services-Consular.html#:~:text=Notarizing officers at any United,use in the United States.

BlNotari Notary Public v. Civil-law Notary

Notarization: Notary Public v. Civil-law Notary

In Business Law
In Business Law

Fotolia_163758190_S-300x200.jpg

Notary Public

A notary is a person who is able to perform limited legal formalities.  Generally, notaries serve the public as an impartial witness to prevent or reduce fraud in signing important documents.  In Florida, the governor approves or denies applications to become a notary public.  To become a notary public, applicants must (1) take an education course, (2) contact a bonding agency, (3) complete the application, and (4) submit the application through your bonding agency.

Because notaries are vital to protecting against fraud, many legal documents must be notarized by a notary public.  Deeds, oaths, acknowledgments, jurats, and other documents may require notarization.  Notaries must follow strict guidelines by adhering to the requirements of the Florida Statutes.

Civil-law Notary

Civil-law notary essentially is an attorney who is also a notary who is appointed by the Department of State.  A Florida Civil Law Notary  must be a Florida attorney who is a member of the Florida Bar in good standing.  Unlike their common-law counterparts, they are able to provide legal advice and prepare instruments with legal effect. The Department of State appoints civil-law notaries.

Differences Between a Notary Public and Civil-law Notary

Generally, the major difference is that a civil-law notary has extensive training in the legal field.  As mentioned, a civil-law notary must be a Florida attorney who is a member of the Florida Bar in good standing.  This means that they must have received her/his degree from an accredited law school and the Florida Bar must register and certify the individual.  On the other hand, public notaries must complete 3 hours of education and submit an application to the governor.  Public notaries generally serve four-year terms while civil-law notaries serve for life.

Additionally, civil-law notaries can provide legal advice and certify the content of the entire document.  They can also can provide services for wills, contracts, or other transactional documents.

From U.S. Embassy  Mexico - website

Remote notarization (AKA webcam notarization, online notarization, or virtual notarization) may fulfil your need for notary services more quickly.  Remote notarization allows for notarization of documents using audio-visual technology over the internet.  Many states accept documents notarized through online services.  You will need to research whether they can be used in the state where your document will be filed and if any special conditions apply.   For more information and to find an online notary please visit the website of the National Notary Association .

For what it's worth, my financial advisor will accept online as well as a civil law notary but not a Mexican notario

• 3 weeks later...

Remote Online Notary is a great way to notarize your documents whether you are across the street or around the world. When you are out of the United States, but still have US interests and documents which need to be notarized, there are a couple of choices. You can always make an appointment at your local Embassy or Consulate. The fee for every single document is $50 USD in CASH. The cost of a home closing would be expensive. Remote Online Notary would be able to accomplish the entire package for approximately $125 USD. The convenience of not having to drive to Guadalajara is one of the other great things about RON, Remote Online Notary. It is safe and secure. Not everyone on the receiving end will accept RON and you need to check to see if it will be accepted. 

Another option is a CIVIL LAW NOTARY and this is a special type of notary. There are very few Civil Law Notaries. They are allowed to notarize and authenticate documents anywhere in the world unlike a traditional notary who MUST remain in their state for their jurisdiction. As a Remote Online Notary, I can perform acts worldwide but I must be IN Florida. 

If you are unable to connect with Chuck Wilder, I hope that you will consider me for your notarial needs. I am available on Whatsapp, (904)333-7311 and via email at 904rainbow@gmail.com. I have created a network of reliable notaries in Florida and they can be reached at https://rainbownotaryandnuptials.com/remote-online-notarization/

I often see posts here and on Facebook looking for an American Notary who still carries their Notary Stamp with them. It is ILLEGAL for a Notary to do so. The documents are INVALID. It is is done on a Will or a Power Of Attorney or Land or Home Sale, and it is later discovered that the notarizations was invalid, you can imagine the ripple effect it would create. 

OJO-july22.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks to those who have clarified the legality of Mr. Wilder's Civil Law Notarizations and RON (Remote-Online-Notary) options for Ex-Pats living outside of the U.S. I know in the past there have been some U.S. Notaries who have "notarized" documents but as pointed out earlier, these are not legal and would not hold up under scrutiny.

I encourage those needing these services to take advantage of Mr. Wilder's offer as well as my sister, Selecia Young-Jones, for future Notary and Apostille needs.

Stay safe, keep it legal and enjoy paradise!

Val Jones :)