Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's restaurant by SuperLake

ibarra

• 2 weeks later...

After not going to the Original Tony's for quite a while I was shocked to see the wonderful menu of mexican dishes was no more. And worse, the menu focused entirely on high priced beef in various forms, including three beef tacos at 200 pesos! The big place that used to be packed was just about empty. Now I'm watching the very spruced up renovations going on. Somebody with no feel for what works is icharge, is my guess.

Lexy

Lexy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vast majority of the menu was definitely not high priced beef. While there is an excellent selection of imported cuts 

I found:

The 3 taco or quesadilla plate includes 100gr of ribeye in each taco (300gr total) $190

350 gr  rib eye or a 400gr T bone for $279          Vacio $299      Sundays Lamb Chops $229 

Mustard Salmon $279  

Mexican food?

Sopa Azteca $65   Tamarind chicken breast $179  Burito Tony 2.0 with 300gr of rib eye $209

Tuetanos (bone marrow) $199  Tripa $155  Camarones Zarandeados $189  Fajitas de res $209

Tamarind shrimp $204    3 Quesadillas $79    Fried Beans and Cheese Tacos (3  pieces) $42  Sundays Chamorro $199     

Check for yourself

https://en.eloriginal.com.mx/menu

• Thanks 2

Thanks for that current menu, Mostly Lost. High prices, maybe worth it for the quality-beef lovers. But even with the few less expensive items added--they weren't there the day I stopped in thinking it was the old Tony's-- I can't see it as a place that will draw a crowd, especially not a lunch crowd.

Three of us met there Tuesday at noon for lunch.  The main dining area had construction material on all the tables and a man was using a drill on the ceiling.  I asked if they were open and was told,  yes at 12:00. I pointed out that it was after 12. A waiter came from the other room and told us they would open in 3 minutes.   We waited until 20 after and nothing had changed.  Needless to say, we left.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

Expect smaller portion of arrachera, it was one half the size it used to be, yes prices have gone up.  Baked potato was not that hot.  We were disappointed. It use to be so great.  We were there at lunchtime and only one couple there.

I bet if you spoke up they would have fixed that. But, why waste your time, right? Just don't go back if you are unhappy.

• 1 month later...

Tony gave the restaurant to his daughter who did very well with it. Then her obnoxious and arrogant husband who has illusions of grandeur started taking over and that is when it started to go down the tubes. Once she was pregnant with the second child she seemed to be out of the picture. He has been aggressive towards some of the customers, verbally and almost physically attacked a woman walking by. Many will not go there any longer due to him. He definitely is in the wrong business, Tony wouldn't recognize anything about the great restaurant he created.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Tony's has been on Traitte's delivery for a few weeks. I've ordered once. The ribs were wonderful. Falling off the bone and lots of sauce. Azteca soup was carefully prepared with fresh, slivered tortillas in a separate container. YMMV. Consistency is a huge problem around here. I've had inedible wings and lousy ribs from Smoke House, for instance.

It's listed under El Original Tony's. Good luck, brave adventurers!