Chapala.com Webboard

HANDYMAN

13 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Good to know.  What is his hourly rate?

That approach is one I never used. If someone was recommended to me I showed them what I needed done, asked for a price, and unless I thought it was unreasonable I let them at it. Upon completion I  made a decision as to whether to keep using him/her. Most "jobs" we had were not major construction or super complicated. I was always happy to find someone who was dependable, knew basically what they were doing and charged me a fair rate for that, I always knew I wasn't getting the "Mexican Rate" but so what? If the job was done right and without any drama that was a win for me. YMMV

• Like 2

I find it works well for me when I hire good people.  I'd like to get an idea of his expectations before I contact him.

Some of the work I need done is somewhat open ended.  Pretty hard for the person to guess what is involved until we get into the project.

The question was directed at the OP.  And still is, thanks Gringal.

25 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I find it works well for me when I hire good people.  I'd like to get an idea of his expectations before I contact him.

Some of the work I need done is somewhat open ended.  Pretty hard for the person to guess what is involved until we get into the project.

The question was directed at the OP.  And still is, thanks Gringal.

We have taken the approach taken by Pappysmarket and have been satisfied with the outcome.

• Like 3

Just in general: (And this applies to all the "handymen" we've used over 12plus years: ) If you have a big paint job, buy your own favorite brand of paint.   The workers tend to buy the product they like, which probably won't be what you'd choose.  Personally, I like Sherwin Williams paint, especially the new store on the East side.

6 minutes ago, gringal said:

What do you consider the NON Gringo price per hour?

I pay by job not per hour and the non gringo price is so low that it's shocking sometimes to the point where i give them more if I consider that it's waaaay too low base on not just hours spent but the also the expertise required and sometimes danger involved.

3 hours ago, gringal said:

Just in general: (And this applies to all the "handymen" we've used over 12plus years: ) If you have a big paint job, buy your own favorite brand of paint.   The workers tend to buy the product they like, which probably won't be what you'd choose.  Personally, I like Sherwin Williams paint, especially the new store on the East side.

ALWAYS buy your own paint and don't  let them water it.  We've had very good results with the Berel 10 year.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, gringal said:

Yes, Chuy needs more work right now, so it's a good time to call him.  You can say he was recommended by the Deckers.

I have called twice. Goes directly to voice mail.  Any other options?

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

I have called twice. Goes directly to voice mail.  Any other options?

I apologize.  That was apparently an old number on my reference card.  I checked with my spouse, and the current number is 331 459 0784.  He keeps the phone with him, and if he doesn't answer, it saves your number and he'll call you back a.s.a.p.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gringal said:

I apologize.  That was apparently an old number on my reference card.  I checked with my spouse, and the current number is 331 459 0784.  He keep the phone with him, and if he doesn't answer, it saves your number and he'll call you back a.s.a.p.

Very good.  I was able to reach him at that number.  Thank you.