Chapala.com Webboard

Weeds

Zeb

On 7/24/2022 at 3:54 PM, happyjillin said:

I have proper gardens with lots of flowers. I can view grass in parks but find it silly to waste water on something that you have to cut constantly because you watered it. And anyone with dogs,especially female are fighting a losing battle grass wise.

I don't see any flowers. I usually have 2 female dogs.-they pefer to pee on grass-good fertilizer. I had an acre of grass in Richmond BC where there is an excess of water usually. I had large patches of grass in the Raquet Club but my aljibe held over45,000 liters and all watering was done by gravity. No shortage of water and free. It depends on what you like. I like flowers and butterflies. It looks like you don't.  Cutting grass and raking is  good exercise Even if the grass dries out and goes brown it can still be nice to look at and it gets green again in the rainy season.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Oh Zeb.... there's no such thing as soil without weeds!!! And even it it WERE totally weed free, a few blasts of wind or a few birds dropping "gifts" as they fly overhead, and there you go..... weeds again. 😜

I do realize that.  I was just describing.

56 minutes ago, cedros said:

I don't see any flowers. I usually have 2 female dogs.-they pefer to pee on grass-good fertilizer. I had an acre of grass in Richmond BC where there is an excess of water usually. I had large patches of grass in the Raquet Club but my aljibe held 45,000 liters and all watering was done by gravity. No shortage of water and free. It depends on what you like. I like flowers and butterflies. It looks like you don't.  Cutting grass and raking is  good exercise Even if the grass dries out and goes brown it can still be nice to look at and it gets green again in the rainy season.

Dog pizz burns grass. we have many flowers,butterflies and hummingbirds[no feeders] we enjoy watching and our gecko crew that eats insects. I ain't gonna foto our flowers just fer you the negative cedros of little knowledge which you have displayed here on many occasions.-SNORK!

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Oh Zeb.... there's no such thing as soil without weeds!!! And even it it WERE totally weed free, a few blasts of wind or a few birds dropping "gifts" as they fly overhead, and there you go..... weeds again. 😜

birds also drop really nice flower seeds in their shyte,,I  speak from experience and enjoy looking at them.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Weeds cannot take mortal hold through the cloth and they're easy to pluck from the lava rocks in the planters. Poor zeb getting all this useless tripe info.

6 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Dog pizz burns grass. we have many flowers,butterflies and hummingbirds[no feeders] we enjoy watching and our gecko crew that eats insects. I ain't gonna foto our flowers just fer you the negative cedros of little knowledge which you have displayed here on many occasions.-SNORK!

Just now, cedros said:

Dog pee can  burn your grass it you only have a small patch but I have a lot and they seldom pee in the same place. In other words you don't have many flowers. I have probably been gardening much longer than you by the look of your "garden" Are you certain that your name is not clueless

We have grass and do not have yellow spots from our two large, female dogs.  We also have about 4 inches of volcanic rock around some plants and running the entire length of both sides of our lot.  We do not have any membrane under the rocks.  We get very few weeds. 

9 hours ago, cedros said:
9 hours ago, cedros said:

Dog pee can  burn your grass it you only have a small patch but I have a lot and they seldom pee in the same place. In other words you don't have many flowers. I have probably been gardening much longer than you by the look of your "garden" Are you certain that your name is not clueless

Clueless would suit you more with all the posts you make with ignorant assumptions. We wouldn't have hummingbirds,butterflies and moths  coming into our garden if there were no flowers. We have a huge flowering tree,many flowering shrubs in pots, flowering vines on the front wall. Neighbours buganvilia hanging over one wall And of course our 2 citrus trees flower before fruiting. We gave up on flowers in our planters because we give our dogs the run of them and they don't harm the two coloured ground cover leaves and an onion smelling flowering plant and interesting grasses nor do they dig because of the lava rock. as to experience ,Millet AB,takes part in the international communities in bloom contest  and we won first prize for residential front garden one year. I had the rock brought in by crane. Not a good copy from the Edmonton Journal of our formal English front garden in our Edmonton house  ,walkways done with reclaimed red bricks. Is that enough experience for you? DOUBLE SNORK!!

front garden.jpg

ed jrnl.jpg

The thought of saving water by replacing grass w river stones/lava rock is appealing. a couple of questions:
1. Replacing grass with river stones could potentially cause an increase in surface temperatures. I'm assuming you haven't noticed any difference or the increase has been bearable, even in the hotter months?
2. Does lava rock create a habitat for scorpions?

3 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

The thought of saving water by replacing grass w river stones/lava rock is appealing. a couple of questions:
1. Replacing grass with river stones could potentially cause an increase in surface temperatures. I'm assuming you haven't noticed any difference or the increase has been bearable, even in the hotter months?
2. Does lava rock create a habitat for scorpions?

No increase in temp. in our river rock which takes up considerable space in our courtyard.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, happyjillin said:

But where are the pictures of many flowers?

On 7/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, Zeb said:

I asked the landscaper about this issue and all he could suggest was a chemical.  I don't understand this as I am not the only person making this request.

I suppose chemicals are an easier solution for a landscaper