Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Fair weekly rate for pool guy to come twice using my tools and chemicals


Recommended Posts

Always wanting an eager employee I always asked them how much they wanted to do whatever job. That usually surprised them but they seemed to ask a fair price and if I could afford it I agreed. Not talking about construction projects but regular workers that were needed day in and day out. Worked for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only question I'd have is if the person with no tool or chemicals has any idea how to maintain a pool other than brushing and vacuuming. 

The water may be clear today but it only takes a few days for the water to turn cloudy or green. Any hire must know the basics of balancing those chemicals.  

A little off topic but I had to hire a new pool guy in Guayabitos for a 5x9x1.5 meter salt water pool for $1600 pesos/month. I supply the salt and chemicals. The last guy couldn't figure out how to eliminate the black algae he caused 2 years ago. Lots of excuses but no results. Hoping for the best but his competition wanted $2200/mo. Both supposedly 2x/week. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simple math: 2200/8 = 275/visit + your chemical costs & tools

Simple math: 1600/8 = 200/visit + your chemical costs & tools

Depending on the size of a pool & the knowledge necessary to use expensive chemicals, I would suggest that 100 a visit is ample payment for 1 hour or a part of, on a good day. So both the above are quite expensive unless "your chemical costs & tools" is not part of the equation?

Nice Pool MC

Edited by mkshawn
old age
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mkshawn said:

Simple math: 2200/8 = 275/visit + your chemical costs & tools

Simple math: 1600/8 = 200/visit + your chemical costs & tools

Depending on the size of a pool & the knowledge necessary to use expensive chemicals, I would suggest that 100 a visit is ample payment for 1 hour or a part of, on a good day. So both the above are quite expensive unless "your chemical costs & tools" is not part of the equation?

In a perfect world you are right but what if there is no one willing to provide pool service for $100/visit? It’s actually worse than the simple math suggests because a “visit” only lasts 10-15 minutes. Good pay if you can get it.

What should happen is more people getting trained and enter the market to provide competition at a lower price forcing the per visit cost down to a more reasonable level. Not holding my breath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Travel Time on 1 leg of each visit can be an excessive cost. Hence most Pool Guys drive trucks, supply all chemicals, and tools charging 200-250± You can win due to high chemical costs to owner, so less of his own chemistry is more $$ to both?? We were turned down at 100 a visit. Too Busy was the response. I agree with u'r last para!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has been very interesting, thanks to all of you for your input.

John, I have trained the guy myself.  Interestingly, this pool seems to have little problem with chemical unbalance but maybe this is because we only put fully treated, softened water into it.  The pH in particular is really stable.

Occasionally after a lot of rain I have to add a liter of the tan colored algaecide/bacteriocide to it.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice pool MC.

In general, I'm curious about the 'rates' being considered.  100 to 200 pesos per visit, even when considering that the worker stays on average 30 minutes and the owner buys the chemicals, seems to be too low. Considering that the laborer has to get to the premisses, which also may take 10-15 minutes, that $5-$10 US seems to me to be slave wages for a 2022 worker.... 'even' considering that it IS Mexico.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Nice pool MC.

In general, I'm curious about the 'rates' being considered.  100 to 200 pesos per visit, even when considering that the worker stays on average 30 minutes and the owner buys the chemicals, seems to be too low. Considering that the laborer has to get to the premisses, which also may take 10-15 minutes, that $5-$10 US seems to me to be slave wages for a 2022 worker.... 'even' considering that it IS Mexico.

I don't think the OP was asking opinions on what people thought of prices people were paying for the service. Only wanted to know what they were paying. If you feel so strongly about what they should get paid, I am sure MC would allow you to make up the difference in what he will pay and what you want him to pay. Otherwise, if that doesn't float your boat, just continue to piss into the wind. :D

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With pool guys, you often get what you pay for.  If you pay someone 100 p a visit , then expect to get shoddy upkeep and maybe spend 10-15 mnutes there when you need an hour spent on the pool. 

For something MC's pool size, hopefully he can find someone who spends the necessary time and the smarts for 200 p a visit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Otherwise, if that doesn't float your boat, just continue to piss into the wind. :D

Well, Jimmie, I hope you feel better after that Post.  

And, no, MC wasn't asking anyone's opinion.... much less mine!..... about how much he should pay. And yes, it was me voicing a personal opinion about how considering paying someone as little as 100 pesos.... $5..... a visit to come to a residence and do pool cleaning or anything seems TO ME to be "taking advantage" of the working class folks of Mexico.  

P.S. and for the record I'm not saying that MC EVER said anything about paying that wage.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, John Shrall said:

My new pool guy rides a motorcycle with a basket containing a few tools. The gardener too although he carries a leaf blower and machete in his basket.

A guy riding toward you with a machete and a leaf blower.     Not quite as severe as this, but I'd still give him a clear path, lest he need to make his own:    😉

See the source image

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RickS said:

Well, Jimmie, I hope you feel better after that Post.  

And, no, MC wasn't asking anyone's opinion.... much less mine!..... about how much he should pay. And yes, it was me voicing a personal opinion about how considering paying someone as little as 100 pesos.... $5..... a visit to come to a residence and do pool cleaning or anything seems TO ME to be "taking advantage" of the working class folks of Mexico.  

P.S. and for the record I'm not saying that MC EVER said anything about paying that wage.  

I was asking input on HOW MUCH to pay and I got it.

Thanks to everyone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...