Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone have a big increase in CFE this period?

Did you check your kwh usage against earlier months?  Previous 2 months' weather  could have generated higher than normal consumption. Also look at your DAC rate   earlier and now  ..... they may have changed that in order to continue to subsidize us in the (MUCH)  lower use bracket 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a huge increase. Over ten years of 400 / 600 peso bills jumped to 4500 this past cycle. They installed a new meter during this past cycle (must be a ‘gringo meter’). It’s under appeal but I don’t hold it a lot of hope when dealing with utilities or the government here or in most countries.

Amazing how few people spend the 2 minutes it takes to go outside to read your meter at the beginning of the cycle and at the end of the cycle so you will know exactly if what was charges is correct. Such a simple process, basic add and subtract. 2nd grade level?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, losgatos said:

I had a huge increase. Over ten years of 400 / 600 peso bills jumped to 4500 this past cycle. They installed a new meter during this past cycle (must be a ‘gringo meter’). It’s under appeal but I don’t hold it a lot of hope when dealing with utilities or the government here or in most countries.

Might just be they finally figured out that the old meter wasn't registering your usage correctly.

Not everything needs to be seen as a conspiracy against extranjeros. CFE may be upgrading a certain number of meters per month and it was your turn. 

• Like 2

https://lucesdelsiglo.com/2022/06/06/sube-34-tarifa-dac-de-la-cfe-negocios/#:~:text=- Las tarifas eléctricas Domésticas de,Federal de Electricidad (CFE).

"CFE's DAC rate rises 34%

June 6, 2022

The charge for energy consumed within the domestic high consumption rate (DAC) increased 34 percent annually in Nuevo León, CDMX and Jalisco

MARLÉN HERNÁNDEZ / REFORM AGENCY

MONTERREY, NL.- The High Consumption Domestic electricity rates (DAC) for Mexico City, Nuevo León, Jalisco and the State of Mexico will be up to 34.1 percent higher than in June 2021, reveal data from the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE). ).

The DAC rate, which applies to households whose average consumption exceeds 850 kilowatt-hours (kW-h) per month for a year, in the case of Nuevo León, is made up of two charges.

A charge is fixed, which this month is 130.88 pesos and presented an annual increase of 10.0 percent.

The other, which represents the highest charge, depends on the amount of energy consumed within the DAC category, and for this month the kW-h was established at 6,516 pesos, an annual increase of 34.0 percent and its highest level since there are Available data from 2007.

Thus, the more energy a DAC consumes, the amount of your bill will have an increase closer to 34 percent per year."

Hot weather increases many electric devices consumption. Fridges turn on more often is one example if the house is not using A/C. We use A/C rarely but fans often and use more water so the pumps (alijibe to tinaco and water pressure) are on more, we wash more sweaty clothes, towels and bedding, etc.. Our subsidized CFE bill is about $150 pesos more this cycle. If you are comparing bills from last summer add 34 percent this season. You are in the DAC. Someone pointed out new digital meters are possibly more accurate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elevator said:

I use a lot of power as I have two refrigerators a pool, pump and a freezer. It usually runs about $4,000 or so. Went to over $6,00 this time? WTF?

We live in Brisas like you.  Our current bill was the same as it has been for almost a year. 

That's a question for GoSolar. I know what I paid in February of 2018 but, as a solar user, I have no idea what the same installation would cost today. I have five 350 watt panels and each panel has its own microinverter. The total cost was $4,674.80 U.S. dollars. I haven't paid anything to CFE since except for their 52 peso fee for generating a bill every two months. I stash enough to be able to use a thermostatically controlled electric fireplace from November 1st to February 30th and a countertop electric oven all year round and seven fans during the hot months. I have a washer and dryer (propane) and large fridge but no water pump or pool pump. This is the breakdown so GoSolar can compare but keep in mind that panels produce more now so you could need fewer. Panels are on a flat roof and south facing with no obstructions.

5 Silfab 350 W- 47VDC SLG-M350M Monocrystalline Solar panels (25 year Warranty) (made in Canada)............................................................................. $1,720.00

5 Enphase microinverters..................................................................................................................................................................................................................... $825.00

Installation: Labor & Materials (Solar cable, AC/DC protection, conduit pipe to breaker box, full aluminum structure and system connection................... $1,120.00

Envoy Monitoring Device (to be able to track online the production and health of each panel).................................................................................................. $365.00

IVA............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................$644.80

• Like 1

Mainecoons beat me to it, but if you think you're going to stay here, then the investment in solar is so, so worth it. We had the same problems with DAC, etc, and finally decided it was a case of fewer toys for less electricity or going solar. Our toys won and we put in 20 panels. We're probably going to do a few more even though we still make a bit over what we use. I'd rather give the extra to CFE than have to always wonder how much higher the bill is going to go. $52/month works for me. FWIW, the panels have more than paid for themselves. 

• Like 1

Solar electric grid-tied system costs have stabilized over the past year or so, at an all time low cost per installed kW, while CFE rates continue to increase.      We might have seen some further small decreases, except for the global Covid / logistics issues and large cost increases in the supply chain which negated that.    

So the ROI is at the best level ever, currently.     Those in DAC can see payback of ~ 3 years.      

On the meter comments and bills going up.....if a prior meter was dial (analog) and the new one is digital, there is a fairly decent chance of an increase in measured consumption, as the analog ones can run slow.....but not fast.....and the digital ones are quite accurate.    For those in this situation, "take the win" of all the time with the lower than reality bills you enjoyed..... and be glad CFE doesn't charge back unless there is an obvious tampering.    (yes, they could....but in practice, they don't).

• Like 1

"Those in DAC can see..."

"Most" people are not in DAC and many of them probably don't even know what DAC is and, maybe more importantly, don't know how close they may be to getting into it. And once one is 'in it', it's hard to get back out.... quickly anyway.

All those who I know that have solar are surely glad they have it. Anyone who is anywhere close to contemplating living Lakeside for a while, and who uses a good bit of electricity or is tired of 'running around turning off lights and pumps and ? so that they will stay our of DAC, should probably try and find a way to install.  10 years ago I'm pretty sure that the payback period was 5-6 years. Now it closer to 3 for those in DAC.  No brainer. 

• Like 3

To stop from going to DAC rates I had a second meter installed which served the casita and pool and I never pumped water from my aljibe to the tinaco. Garden watering was by gravity from the large aljibe.The tinaco was filled by pressure from the fraccionamiento. My bimomthly bill for the two meters was 800 to 900 pesos for a 3 bedroom house, casita and pool and large garden.  

12 hours ago, RickS said:

20 panels!  You must have a lot of real estate to accommodate that array.

Doesn't take much.  We have 18 panels.  Pool pumps, water system pump, big TV, laundry, lighting, one AC unit and you're there.  Pool pumps retrofitted with higher efficiency motors, LED lighting everywhere, new big TV uses considerably less power and we just make it over the course of the year with an occasional small bill.

Solar is a screaming investment here.  Where else are you going to get a 33 percent ROI?

• Like 2

We live in a simple house and have lots of LED bulbs, TV's, fans, computers, etc.  The small coto where we live has a pool and we pay 1/8 of that out of our HOA fees.  Our two month bill runs about 450 pesos (some periods as low as 300 and some as high as 600)  so we would never get our investment back for solar.  At 7.50 to 15.00 usd per month, it seems quite fair after paying 200/month in Colorado in summer months and same for gas in winter months.  Many folks who are installing solar systems count on recouping costs only when they sell the house which we are not planning to do.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

CFE uses fossil fuels to generate electricity. You can be part of the solution... or you can remain part of the problem. There is more at stake here than your wallet.

They also have 4 thermal generating plants.

http://www.cemiegeo.org/index.php/geotermia-en-mexico