Chapala.com Webboard

An unlikely place to buy a wheelchair

I shopped Amazon, great prices, numerous models but $119.00 usd in delivery and tax costs. Then I went to Lake Med, 5 models but the lowest price was 5500 mxp, tried Bianca and her husband, found them friendly but expensive plus a service charge to use my CC. Then off to my very, very least favorite....good ole "Wallstupid".....alas they had a wheelchair, after denying that they had any in stock,but back in the area where they sell walkers, canes etc and not upfront near the registers where the space still has an outdated price sticker. They had lowest price for the same chair as Lake Med at 3300 mxp....but then they ruined my day some more by asking if I had my "old person's card..." Yes, I did and they then gave me 5% more off the price......plus my credit card gives me 3% more back with no international fee.......I may have to give WallyWorld more respect or at least, less dislike even if the check out lines stretch to San Juan PR.

Well, I still like to go to them last....but isn't the last place you look....where you find what you were looking for?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I guess, I accept the customer mistreatment at Walmart......for the lower prices. It still amazes me that the store has twenty checkouts but only two or three are open, if you are lucky....it also is humerus to watch the three cashiers try to cash or change a 500 pesos note and forget plastic bags!

As to shopping carts....some are older than Sam Walton and and as clean as a pig stye

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

....but then they ruined my day some more by asking if I had my "old person's card..." Yes, I did and they then gave me 5% more off the price.....

Gee Fred......you could have indignantly said " I'm not OLD enough to have an "old person's card".......LOL LOL   but then or course you would have had to forego the additional 5% off.  Trade-offs can be a bitc*         🤣

Thank you....but I was shopping on Amazon USA....and this chair, while nice, is too heavy for me to get in and out of a Honda Fit. My wife is handicapped by the need for twenty four-seven oxygen needs and no other mobility problems....I just needed to get her from the curb or parking lot of Quality care and maybe a restaurant.I saw this chair and saw that it was just not what I could handle. My chair came in at 135.00 USD after all the discounts and courtesies that were extended to me and extremely light weight to lift out of the car...fold up tightly and do what I need it to do.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Fred, we have just recently had the same need for 24/7 oxygen. We bought a concetrator from Lydia at Lake Med (a really quiet unit - the Caire Companion 5 - and love it. It’s much much quieter then the Respiricon units. 
last night we had a short power drop and I realized that we have no backup plan. What do you do for the power outages?  We considered the portable units (like the Inogen) but it is a pulse machine, not continuous flow, and everything we read and hear tells us that the pulse units aren’t suitable for sleeping as the oxygen release is driven by inhalation which is not strong enough while sleeping   I’ve also considered a generator.
So I am searching for a solution. Hope you can help. What is your backup system?  Thanks. 

On 7/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, Fred Habacht said:

I guess, I accept the customer mistreatment at Walmart......for the lower prices. It still amazes me that the store has twenty checkouts but only two or three are open, 

From the 'Things better NOB' thread, courtesy Natasha...

image.png.94188ddb85d900836e329d8f74d093dd.png

• Haha 1

RE: Back up solution for power outages. What I am sharing is a personal experience and you may approach this problem differently.

1. We own a 5 hour inogen and you are correct as to trying to sleep with it....DON'T! My wife is so terrified of dying from O2 loss that she just doesn't sleep if there is an ongoing storm and power failure.

2. Bought a generator....it can keep her portable charged but cannot run her concentrator due to her ever increasing liter per minute needs. So, I have it and will probably let Julie Hensley sell it soon.

3. FINAL and best solution for us....The Jocotepec hospital allows and welcomes us to stay on their generater. So, I bring a concentrator, plug in and we stay until power is restored. A representative of the municipality calls me to tell me when power will be restored. 

We have a 10 liter concentrator a 5 liter concentrator and the 5 liter portable. I have tried 02 tanks but they are very expensive and do not last long enough.

I hope that helps you with your plans.

Fear is your greatest enemy. Take charge and be ready to leave your house for a safer and more efficient location until the power returns. Learn who has a full time generator or whose homes have not lost power...we have been welcomed into many homes if we need to be there. If the power goes out and you have no immediate plan......you are in deep dodo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And there are even larger sizes of the Jackery but the price goes up as the size goes up. They are available on Amazon.com and Amazon.com.mx

I love my Jackery 240. It has never let me down in a power failure. No fossil fuel required. You can charge it by plugging it into a wall outlet or plug it into the outlet in your vehicle or charge it by it's own solar panels.

• Like 2

Just a suggestion of something I use that has worked for me for many years.  I bought a deep cycle 12V marine battery (Optima brand) and mounted it in a plastic battery case you can buy at the car parts suppliers like Autozone.  I then bolted a 1200 watt inverter on the top of the box and have a portable backup unit for my medical devices.  I keep it in a corner beside the bed with a trickle charger on it so it is easily accessible at night if the power goes off.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cyberjack said:

Fred, we have just recently had the same need for 24/7 oxygen. We bought a concetrator from Lydia at Lake Med (a really quiet unit - the Caire Companion 5 - and love it. It’s much much quieter then the Respiricon units. 
last night we had a short power drop and I realized that we have no backup plan. What do you do for the power outages?  We considered the portable units (like the Inogen) but it is a pulse machine, not continuous flow, and everything we read and hear tells us that the pulse units aren’t suitable for sleeping as the oxygen release is driven by inhalation which is not strong enough while sleeping   I’ve also considered a generator.
So I am searching for a solution. Hope you can help. What is your backup system?  Thanks. 

I am on 24/7 oxygen with 2 concentrators drawing 1400+ and 1900+. Read my thread on "whole house generator". The Generac generator kicks on in 10seconds after black or brown out and kicks off when cfe comes back on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

I am on 24/7 oxygen with 2 concentrators drawing 1400+ and 1900+. Read my thread on "whole house generator". The Generac generator kicks on in 10seconds after black or brown out and kicks off when cfe comes back on.

Not everyone can afford what you did, nor do they need a whole house until. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:54 PM, cyberjack said:

sent you a pm.