Chapala.com Webboard

Just as a matter of interest. Please don't read anything into this post other than the clear meaning of the words.

I just found something interesting.

When I bought my house in a fracc here,, I had to apply to be a member of the Association and be accepted.

It has to follow, that if I had to apply for membership, then I could resign/withdraw as a member.
Of course if I withdraw, I am not entitled to water delivery or trash pickup. I can still use the roads to get to my privada.

So apparently there is no law that requires a person to be a member of the Association, just as there is no law requiring the Association to provide a non-member anything other than water.
There is no common area, no pool or clubhouse, etc.

Research is one of the things I love, challenging and educating.
NOTE: I am not saying anything more than what the words mean. I am not advising anything. I am simply passing alone information that may, or may not, be of interest to members of  an Association.

If I am wrong, I welcome you to tell me and cite some authority.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Nikalos Telsa changed the title to Just as a matter of interest. Please don't read anything into this post other than the clear meaning of the words.

With that kind of thinking maybe you are not made to live kn a fraccionamento..sjould have bought in town somewhere and forget living in a fracc.. Think about that one... I lived in a condominium.once and will never do that again..To each its own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That may be true but why would one do this?

I agree with bmh, you should consider maybe Fracc life is not for you.  When we came some 15 years ago, we looked at both sides pro and con and decided against buying in a Fracc.  Just seemed too much like HOAs up north but without the legal protection against non payers.  We opted for a village location.  There are still many opportunities for this in Chapala and San Antonio at reasonable cost, not so much Ajijic.

Fraccs and condos have been given better tools to deal with the non payers by some legal changes a couple years back.  These changes have been of great benefit to the condo apartment we own in GDL for our students.

But after following Fracc threads and other news we are quite convinced we made the right choice for us locally.  

I've followed the ups and downs of some of the more interesting Fraccs like Chapala Haciendas and La Floresta.  In the case of the former it appears to me that CH has achieved a critical mass of residents who are committed to bettering the community and not just thinking of themselves.  

It's an excellent location and I expect it to continue to improve as time goes on.

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

I gave no thinking, I posted information only.

Please don't try to read between my lines or try to do remote mind-reading.

Thanks.

It has to follow, that if I had to apply for membership, then I could resign/withdraw as a member.
Of course if I withdraw, I am not entitled to water delivery or trash pickup. I can still use the roads to get to my privada.

So apparently there is no law that requires a person to be a member of the Association, just as there is no law requiring the Association to provide a non-member anything other than water.

This is "no thinking" ? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe everyone has the right to know the laws they are bound by.
I was just denied a post on Vecinos Chapala Haciendas, about the law. That is a private site and the owner has every right to run it as he/she chooses, and I support that.
If I opt out of something, I'm not going to expect to keep the benefits such as, in this case, water and trash pickup.

One of my problems is that in a Fracc, my money is at stake for paying for things for other people who get the benefits and don't pay.

I also have a problem with BODs that don't know how to run a business. This new assessment is proof of that. If I were running this business, it would not have happened. I am not my hero, Lee Iacocca though I learned from him.

So if I bow out, I lose the Association benefits. Who am I hurting? I don't want the responsibility to pay someone's else's bills.

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

I was just denied a post on Vecinos Chapala Haciendas, about the law. That is a private site and the owner has every right to run it as he/she chooses, and I support that.
If I opt out of something, I'm not going to expect to keep the benefits such as, in this case, water and trash pickup.

One of my problems is that in a Fracc, my money is at stake for paying for things for other people who get the benefits and don't pay.

I also have a problem with BODs that don't know how to run a business. This new assessment is proof of that. If I were running this business, it would not have happened. I am not my hero, Lee Iacocca though I learned from him.

So if I bow out, I lose the Association benefits. Who am I hurting? I don't want the responsibility to pay someone's else's bills.

Those of us who live in fraccs are thankful that everyone doesn't think like you do.  Kinda like "let the stupid people pay.. I'm smarter than they are"

My property tax goes to pay for things I never get the benefit of.  So why should I pay them?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, bmh said:

With that kind of thinking maybe you are not made to live kn a fraccionamento..sjould have bought in town somewhere and forget living in a fracc.. Think about that one... I lived in a condominium.once and will never do that again..To each its own.

Maybe his particular lot has a great view, something not always available in town. The road thing I believe is a grey area, depending on the fracc/ condo. Many roads in Fraccs are "owned" by the  city they are located in and the city is responsible for their maintenance, which of course they never do. The setting up manned guard houses is " illegal under these conditions. The Raquet Club in SJC is an example

49 minutes ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

You have moaned and groaned about this fracc for years since the day you moved there. You must be a very fulfilled masochist.😴

• Like 12

Our lawyer told us to not be part of a Fraccionamiento you must present a letter at an AGM  or SGM stating that you do not want to be a member any longer.  A vote would then be taken to accept or deny your membership in the HOA.  If accepted,  I believe you would not be entitled to any benefits that your dues would normally pay for.  There is more involved with the process but seeking legal counsel would be the way to find that out.  

• Like 1

Nikolos

When you moved into your fracc you read all the rules and regulations and probably signed an agreement that you would abide by them. Those bylaws include the payment of dues.

Why would anyone other than a moroso, renege on that agreement to the detriment of their fee paying neighbors? 

SunFan

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

I'm going to be very basic here because what I really want to say would be the equivalent of bringing a cannon to a water fight.

Quite simply:  enough already! You go on and on and on and keep dragging your personal fight against the BOD of Chapala Haciendas to a public forum because your financial brilliance hasn't been recognized. Instead of acting like a spoiled brat, try telling us what you've actually done to make a difference. No, I'm not talking about your supposed sure-fire method of saving our financial world, but actual deeds. The only thing I've seen you do so far is to bitch every day about "X" injustice. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help for legitimate concerns, you have beaten this to death. 

You are one SMALL house out of over 200 in this fraccionamiento. Doesn't it ever occur to you that there is a reason why the vast majority aren't marching to your drum? Maybe it's because they understand that you have to work within the system to make changes, not act like you're on a crusade. Don Quixote you ain't.

As one of my favorite judges (get 'em, Judy!) always likes to say:  "if you're not happy, MOVE." 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Maybe  Telsa is identify his thoughts that others also have experienced but have chosen not to express  them. I recall  when I arrived and found out that delinquent homeowners were getting a " free ride" , I was pi××ed.

The official answer I got back.."that's how it is in MEXICO ". But that was not true then and is not today. It could and can be "fixed"

Moving to a different country with a different  culture has its challenges..Should we try to change them??

22 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Maybe  Telsa is identify his thoughts that others also have experienced but have chosen not to express  them. I recall  when I arrived and found out that delinquent homeowners were getting a " free ride" , I was pi××ed.

The official answer I got back.."that's how it is in MEXICO ". But that was not true then and is not today. It could and can be "fixed"

Moving to a different country with a different  culture has its challenges..Should we try to change them??

Again, there is nothing wrong with being frustrated  by the morosos...this has been an ongoing issues for years. As I've stated in the past, it appears that our current BOD has finally managed to unlock the legal code for action ro be taken. It isn't a case of giving a free ride, but you have to do it legally or the consequences could be severe. Are YOU willing to risk money and/or your property because you jumped the gun? I've walked the walk (served on the board) and I know just how difficult and frustrating it can be.. Just because NT is frustrated doesn't mean that most of us aren't. It's his presumption that only he has the answer and the other 200+ residents must be either ignorant or willingly sucking it up and paying for deadbeats. Obviously, this is not the case. What else is not the case is that this forum is a place to vent EVERY SINGLE DAY because he didn't get his way. One last item to note:  I'm not saying that a certain website is his, but it ran very close to slander. I am also going to assume that the "anonymous" note (how brave!) that was put in mailboxes was by the same author. Someone is not too bright.

Tingting with respect not everyone has the same level of accepting the local customs, or the same ability not to sound off.  Many years ago I recall when a friend of mine tried to speak at a CH agm, the then president said " tell the silly bitch to shut up". Maybe  it was because she was a Canadian female....or not

On 7/20/2022 at 12:11 PM, Nikalos Telsa said:

It amazes me how so many people look to read between the lines and do mind-reading from  a distance.

When people write something, why not just look at the words and give them their clear meaning?

It amazes me how desperate you must be for attention, regardless of whether it's good, bad, or indifferent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1