Chapala.com Webboard

Telecommunications NIGHTMARE in Canada

Yesterday in Canada the entire country was crippled as major service provider went down.  This link is from this morning but take the time and you'll be VERY happy to be here instead.  As of this afternoon, "most" is restored but not all.........

https://globalnews.ca/news/8975789/rogers-outage-today-phone-internet-interac/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Yesterday in Canada the entire country was crippled as major service provider went down.  This link is from this morning but take the time and you'll be VERY happy to be here instead.  As of this afternoon, "most" is restored but not all.........

https://globalnews.ca/news/8975789/rogers-outage-today-phone-internet-interac/

Really I don't hear a mass exodus, but perhaps that will start on Monday if the service is still down.

• Haha 3

What happened in Canada ) should make everyone take notice. This hit 11.3 million subscribers nationwide in a country of approx. 35 million overall.  It COULD happen to you next.  Here are some things that caused more than just a little inconvenience:

1.  Any cell phone use...talking, making online payments, showing QR codes if needed, etc.          2.  All interac bank transfers     3.  ATM's not functioning        4.  banks unable to dole out cash even at tellers     5.  911 calls to all emergency services -- police / fire / ambulance--- (except if using landline with different service than Shaw)      6.   gov't services at all levels including passport offices, social services, etc.     7.  airports ---- no debit/credit cards anywhere                8.  many other police services         9.   taxis, who I'm told no longer accept cash...security reasons       10.  pay parking lots (also no cash.... duh??)       11.  concert venues (could not scan tickets and performances cancelled)     12.  really any and every kind of store..... grocery, liquor, or any other place relying in internet connections           13.  ArriveCAN  app for any travellers to Canada affected

Only places that thrived were internet cafe's with WiFi from different providers.  "Welcome to the jungle" was how one barista described the crowd. 😉

So yes, the comments above are cute. But the situation was real, and it wasn't.    😠            

Good one amiga!  However , where you have friends/family there... maybe.  My sister said it took longer in Alberta for a lot of things.  But point is....... never say never.  I told her she should keep some cash in the house for emergencies like this.  Apparently they are pretty well a cashless society up there now.  Just another reason I can never go "home". 😉

I think reliance of electronic money only is a terrible idea.  That's all it takes to take down a country. The governments really like and are setting us up so they can eliminate cash and have control over everything and this is just a sampling of what it will be like.  No privacy either.

I like cash for that reason.  It is best to have a reserve of cash as well as some emergency supplies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

I think reliance of electronic money only is a terrible idea.  That's all it takes to take down a country. The governments really like and are setting us up so they can eliminate cash and have control over everything and this is just a sampling of what it will be like.  No privacy either.

I like cash for that reason.  It is best to have a reserve of cash as well as some emergency supplies.

Respectfully you better get out of the way of a heard of elephants all carrying CC, you are in the minority thinking about cash. I was in recently in Europe and at 3/4 establishments they only accept ed CC

Yes....... with carefully worded excuse, written by lawyers, and designed to get the feds off their back.  Shaw has always been a great company.  Rogers I don't know as much about. But as one Canadian "geek" pointed out, TWO system failures in the last 15 months is great cause for worry where 1/3 of population was affected.

Hope for all in the north this really was the problem AND they can contain future events.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, Natasha said:

What happened in Canada ) should make everyone take notice. This hit 11.3 million subscribers nationwide in a country of approx. 35 million overall.  It COULD happen to you next.  Here are some things that caused more than just a little inconvenience:

1.  Any cell phone use...talking, making online payments, showing QR codes if needed, etc.          2.  All interac bank transfers     3.  ATM's not functioning        4.  banks unable to dole out cash even at tellers     5.  911 calls to all emergency services -- police / fire / ambulance--- (except if using landline with different service than Shaw)      6.   gov't services at all levels including passport offices, social services, etc.     7.  airports ---- no debit/credit cards anywhere                8.  many other police services         9.   taxis, who I'm told no longer accept cash...security reasons       10.  pay parking lots (also no cash.... duh??)       11.  concert venues (could not scan tickets and performances cancelled)     12.  really any and every kind of store..... grocery, liquor, or any other place relying in internet connections           13.  ArriveCAN  app for any travellers to Canada affected

Only places that thrived were internet cafe's with WiFi from different providers.  "Welcome to the jungle" was how one barista described the crowd. 😉

So yes, the comments above are cute. But the situation was real, and it wasn't.    😠            

This is a a great example of how expats here like to hype things up.. This post is 90% B.S

Millions of of Canadians had no issues ..  If you were  with Telus, Bell or Shaw or any of the other smaller providers you didn’t have any issues. The ATM’s were working, I know because I used one, the banks were open and dispensing money..  My Bell TV  was working just fine,  all the stores were open for business I don’t know of any store that closed….The buses were running, you could buy gas,   I filled up using a credit card…The population of Canada is approximately 39 million if as the poster claims 11.3 million were affected that’s well under a third of the population.. So we’ll over two thirds of the population could call 911. There was one concert canceled and that was for security reasons.. 

The real story is “Only Rogers customers were affected by the outage” 

But that doesn’t sound as exciting as B.S.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

SO..... copying and pasting (pictures in between) article on Global news.ca on line, July 11, 12:50 pm:

".....Last Friday, more than 10 million Canadians across the country woke up to a nationwide Rogers network outage that left many without cell service, scrabbling for an internet connection and unable to make purchases with their bank cards.

70c8fc80

“Puts us back in the dark ages basically,” Phil Strong, from the taxi service Yellow Cab in Edmonton told Global News.

Interac payments, including services like e-Transfer, used 371.4 million times by Canadians in 2018 alone, were also down, leaving many establishments unable to process certain types of payments.   “No one is carrying cash these days,” Marti Heersink from Masala in Ottawa told Global News.

The head of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB) says some small businesses lost thousands of dollars Friday, as a result of the outage. Dan Kelly says the outage was frustrating for small business owners who were unable to process online orders, use food delivery apps and even process debit or credit card transactions because Interac was using Rogers.

Without being able to process credit or debit sales, POE Design, an eclectic gift shop in Port Perry, Ont., saw less than half of regular sales for a Friday during the summer during the outage. “Our sales were diminished,” a spokesperson for the gift shop said to Global News. Naomi Laserna, 26, from Whitby, Ont., requires an internet connection for both of her jobs as a streamer/gamer and at a Kumon Math and Reading Learning Centre for children. To get connected, she drove to a nearby Starbucks, which also ironically happened to neighbour a Rogers store.

Bob Pang, 21 has been working tirelessly to open an online fitness apparel shop, Shijia Fitness, dedicated to promoting an Asian presence in the industry. He said his store was unable to launch on time due to the outage. “We have been trying to have this launch for quite a while and having a delay is really affecting our business,” Pang told Global News from Toronto. “It’s very annoying having to wait, having to put everything on hold because of something we can’t control.” Even large corporations like Walmart and McDonald’s were left without the ability to serve customers with debit.

In Toronto, Canadian artist The Weeknd postponed his After Hours Til Dawn show at the Rogers Centre “to a later date due to service outages impacting the venue operations.” In Niagara, Ont., oncology patients requiring radiation therapy had their appointments cancelled Friday as a result of the service disruption, the health system said online.

“Telecommunications are vitally important for Canadians in their day-to-day life. Whether that’s cell phones, internet, or even banking, we expect those services to meet the high standard that Canadians deserve,” said François-Philippe Champagne, (Federal)  Minister of Innovation, Sciences and Industry. Champagne plans to meet with Rogers CEO Staffieri, among others, to discuss the importance of improving “the reliability of the networks across Canada.”

SO TELSZ4 PERHAPS YOU'D LIKE TO DIRECT YOUR B.S. RANT TO CANADIAN  NEWS CORPORATIONS FOR  OBVIOUS "FAKE" NEWS, AS YOU SEE IT

• Like 3

13 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

I thought this sanction was about Ajijic Chapala and Guadalajara 

Post was prompted by another here......."Bank Card Payments not Working at Merchant" .......from last Friday.  Just thought people might be interested in how much worse it could be same day.  Don't read it if not interested.

• Like 2