Chapala.com Webboard

Suspicious email from MercadoLibre today

Hi all.  My correct email address but not sure I believe what I think I'm reading.  Have contacted ML through their web page (needs min 24 hours to reply) but also wonder (1) if anyone else got same, and (2) do you think that this means you can no longer pay for purchases in cash?  Gracias

Actualizamos los Términos y condiciones de tu cuenta.

Te compartimos los nuevos Términos y condiciones de uso de tu cuenta Mercado Pago Standard. A partir de ahora solo podrás:

Hacer pagos con tarjetas de crédito o débito de otras entidades financieras.

Retirar el dinero que recibas por ventas a una cuenta de otra entidad financiera.

Si no estás de acuerdo, tienes derecho a cancelar tu cuenta

Further to the above...... I signed into ML to see if I could learn more. Below the "todays' deals" with purple background portion the next line shows, from left to right:

Paga cómodo y seguro con Mercado Pago

Hasta tres meses sin intereses (see conditions)

Citibanamex

+ Más medios de pago  (ver más)

Clicked on that one, and THERE it appears you can still pay CASH at Oxxo or PayCash (whatever that one is)

Maybe MercadoPago is a different category??????  Dunno'.  Will report.

38 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

You may have received a spam email.

Exactly why I did NOTHING except  sign in to ML on line (separately) and send them my request for confirmation. And posted (one above yours) what I found myself that seems to indicate nothing is changed.  SUPER careful about anything suspicious no matter where it comes from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

That might also have something to do with what you are selling and who your customers are.

You're right MC.  Some don't realize how HUGE ML is in many different counties.... and many customers in all  would not have debit or credit cards.

1 hour ago, ednet94 said:

México is a cash country, but when it's about online shopping not that much anymore

And you KNOW this how?????

Besides, here's what Wikipedia says about ML( with loose translation) following):

Mercado Libre (conocida en portugués como Mercado Livre; a veces abreviada como MeLi o ML) es una empresa multinacional de origen argentino con sede en Buenos Aires dedicada al comercio electrónico en Latinoamérica. Fundada en el año 1999, cuenta con operaciones en Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, República Dominicana, Uruguay y Venezuela.

ML........ is a multinational business originating in Argentina,  headquartered in Buenos Aires and dedicated to on-line sales in Latin America. Founded in 1999, it serves Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Doubt even you can offer your expert opinion as to how all these people prefer to shop.

33 minutes ago, Natasha said:

And you KNOW this how?????

Besides, here's what Wikipedia says about ML( with loose translation) following):

Mercado Libre (conocida en portugués como Mercado Livre; a veces abreviada como MeLi o ML) es una empresa multinacional de origen argentino con sede en Buenos Aires dedicada al comercio electrónico en Latinoamérica. Fundada en el año 1999, cuenta con operaciones en Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, República Dominicana, Uruguay y Venezuela.

ML........ is a multinational business originating in Argentina,  headquartered in Buenos Aires and dedicated to on-line sales in Latin America. Founded in 1999, it serves Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Doubt even you can offer your expert opinion as to how all these people prefer to shop.

As I said I'm a (pretty big) seller on ML and between sellers of ML we share information, using the developers API it is possible to see the type of payment of the buyers.

TO ALL WHO WANT TO PAY WITH CASH:   Received an answer from ML today, and as far as I can tell, this request ONLY applied to those who wish to use the following, in which case they need some things to be "done":

Mercado Pago Standard: Cuenta que puedes usar exclusivamente para hacer pagos mediante tarjetas personales cargadas a tu cuenta (débito o crédito), y para retirar el dinero recibido por ventas que hayas hecho. 

Mercado Pago Wallet: Cuenta con acceso a las funcionalidades completas de Mercado Pago, con la cual podrás hacer pagos con tu dinero en cuenta (inclusive con la tarjeta Mercado Pago), usar Mercado Crédito, ingresar y extraer dinero en efectivo y por transferencias, así como generar rendimientos. 

For the rest I assume business as usual .......... until, of course, I try to buy something and don't get the oxxo option 🙃  Case closed.