Chapala.com Webboard

Have You Had These Installed?

I would call them eavestroughs, with downspout.  Some people call them gutters. Whatever.  Small portion of sightly slanted roof  becomes a torrential waterfall onto inner  (non-covered) patio. Have looked at 2 models at Casa de Plomero, but they seem kind of flimsy to me.  However, with "cup hook" holders under bottom sides (made by herrero)and attached to wall  they might be OK.  Only need about 6 - 7 feet long (due to peculiarity of design). 

Thinking biggest size possible.  If you have had this type of "thing" installed, please reply.   Store-bought with   supports?  Herrero makes the whole thing?  Kind of urgent but please, don't interfere if you have no experience here. Would know what to do in the north.  We aren't there. 😉   Gracias!!

• Natasha changed the title to Have You Had These Installed?

I had eavestroughs (gutters in the U.S.) installed by JP Home Services the first year I was in this house. I had to call the guy back because the inclination of the trough wasn't enough to send the water to the downspout. Then I noticed, because he used three pieces, that the downward sloping ends were not INSIDE each other... he actually created an obstruction to the flow... and had been siliconed in place. Sigh. Eventually I will get around to replacing it. If I had to do it over, I would use a larger diameter sewer pipe in terracotta. The hangars that he used can be twisted to accommodate just about any size. Also rather than just cutting the pipe in half, I would have the outer portion slightly higher to catch the torrential rain. I'm also going to do this with a very large garbage can that has a lid... How to Save Money on Watering your Garden | Hometalk

It would be a great idea if someone were to buy the equipment and put it in a truck to make seamless one piece eavestroughs here.

6 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

the trough is about 6 inches deep and full length of roof with a backsplash made by a tinsmith and attached to pvc downspout.

Thank you.  I'm thinking prefab stuff here won't do the trick.  And already thinking PVC for downspout.

Thanks to all.  Will be galvanized "quadrado" similar to Chapalence's ..... age of house, place to install, etc. all determining factors.  Found what my guy will need locally, and length is great.  Will use PVC for downspout, with short elbow at bottom to direct flow at an angle (needed in this situation).    Appreciate quick responses from all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, happyjillin said:

the trough is about 6 inches deep and full length of roof with a backsplash made by a tinsmith and attached to pvc downspout.

IMG_0061.JPG

557776810_afterguestbedroom.jpg

my foto shows a large diameter pvc and the ground length against the wall goes into the garden. only the trough needs to be fabricated. anything else is overkill and a costly,wasted effort. did this over 10 years ago and haven't had to touch it again except fora repaint of the pvc.

• Thanks 1