Chapala.com Webboard

There's a growing shortage of cat food both here and NOB.  

Is anyone making up healthy cat food locally?  Several years ago there was someone making up raw food but our cats wouldn't touch it.

We are going to need some sort of prepared cat food.  Anyone here doing this?

21 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

There's a growing shortage of cat food both here and NOB.  Is anyone making up healthy cat food locally?  Several years ago there was someone making up raw food but our cats wouldn't touch it.We are going to need some sort of prepared cat food.  Anyone here doing this?

What kind of food?  I'm not having any trouble and will call you or you can send me pm.  You know who I am.

The problem is cat food no longer is available in cans, only in pouches. Dog food is slowly being affected also. It may be due to a shortage of the metal to make them, not known. The pouches can be very expensive if your animal eats much at a time or you have multiple pets. I only have one cat and she normally takes a day or two to eat a whole can although since the shortage she seems to want more at a time.

3 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

The problem is cat food no longer is available in cans, .....

Sorry..... you're wrong.  I recently bought 20 cans of Felix Pate on Mercado Libre. But today I saw Felix Pate  (only one flavor but at least they had it) in SuperLake this morning.  And 1-2 weeks ago they had it in Soriana.

On the other hand.... maybe I should say NOT sorry..... at least where your furry friend  is concerned! 😹

Thanks for the warning and or tips. Normally my cats get dried cat food, but once each day at about noon, my three cats demand that I provide them a treat of some kind of pasty canned cat food, which I was about out of. So when I read the above, earlier today, I went out and was able to buy some canned cat food, not in the small cans I usually get, but only in the big cans. I sure hope this shortage is not a sign of things to come, but only temporary.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

.....earlier today, I went out and was able to buy some canned cat food, not in the small cans I usually get, but only in the big cans. .

Pete, please keep in mind (as I've told you before) once a cat food can is open it's only good for the day you open it and 4 more days max.  The Felix I mentioned is in the smaller cans you like to get, so depending on portion size for all 3 each day, they'll probably work better for you....... and the large cans you bought are a lot more "watery" than the Felix Pate.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, Natasha said:

Sorry..... you're wrong.  I recently bought 20 cans of Felix Pate on Mercado Libre. But today I saw Felix Pate  (only one flavor but at least they had it) in SuperLake this morning.  And 1-2 weeks ago they had it in Soriana.

On the other hand.... maybe I should say NOT sorry..... at least where your furry friend  is concerned! 😹

OK, I do not shop for cat food at ML, I go to Walmart, Sorianna, iSuperLake, (which still has a few cans), FOA. Only pouches available. FOA went to Guadalajara to the main distributors there and was told they are only making pouches and not cans. They said they would start again the middle of May or June. This has not happened. I did stock up awhile ago when I found out this was happening, so my cat is good to go for now. I am thinking one can only buy food by the case at ML and then only one flavor, is that correct?

19 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

I am thinking one can only buy food by the case at ML and then only one flavor, is that correct?

There are indiv cans and you can buy as many as you want....depending on who's selling.  One guy with good price had Pavo and Salmon available.  Limit per flavor was 25 that day.  I bought 10 of each which qualified for free shipping... But be careful.... LOTS of price variations, and one guy offers a "set" that includes Paté but also" pieces with sauce", which neither I nor my cats want.