Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle insurance

ChrisR

I'm getting full coverage Mexican car insurance quotes from 4 companies for my foreign-plated vehicle. I would like to get your yay or nay on your actual experience before I decide. Any reason why I should NOT get insurance from any of the following?:

Lewis & Lewis, AXA, TioCorp, and Pilar Valdovinos Seguros

7 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You are listing 3 agents and 1 insurance company, Do you want recommendations on agents or the actual company they might insure you with?

Live and learn. Agents, because the difference is that some of those agents are local, and I'm thinking I'd get a faster response to an accident if they were near by, assuming the accident happens at the lake. Make sense?

5 hours ago, Jreboll said:

I’ve used Lewis and Lewis. Last time I used them they didn’t send me my insurance contract until I had arrived at my destination a week later. Too late to be of any use to me. 
I won’t use them again. 

So, not better late than never? Was your insurance no good because the contract came late?

agents aren't the ones who come to the scene   insurance company sends reps       it's on you to contact the insurance company (you'll be given 800 numbers etc)

when I had a car stolen in Guad in 2010 in broad daylight on main street at 10:30 a.m. I incorrectly assumed calling local agent was the right thing to do    WRONG   not only did they not get involved, they didn't tell me it was on ME to report theft to company within 24 hours or lose my claim   by some miracle I called company that evening to "check"..... and they sent someone out from Guad that same night to take the report

needless to say don't use that agent any more   (not named on your list)

• Thanks 1

12 years ago when we had a US plated car, this car was totaled in an accident by a truck owned by Galvez Construction. Our insurance agent was ParkerThe claim was professionally handled and we had our money within 30 days. We also got our import sticker back along with a letter  from the insurance company taking responsibility for owning the car. 

When we first drove down to Ajijic in 2008, we took out insurance with Sanborn.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jreboll said:

I’ve used Lewis and Lewis. Last time I used them they didn’t send me my insurance contract until I had arrived at my destination a week later. Too late to be of any use to me. 
I won’t use them again. 

Sorry to hear that. I just got the contract as soon as I signed up for the policy.

• 4 weeks later...