Chapala.com Webboard

The Joys of Plumbago

When I first bought this house, there were two bugambilia bushes in the stone flowerbed. Those things BITE and after four years I had them removed. I love Plumbago which has periwinkle blue flowers but it's not a vine. So I put heavy duty hooks at the top of the twelve foot wall and also about two feet above the soil. Then I bought 8 foot by twelve foot nylon mesh (4 inch squares) and hung it on the hooks at the top and bottom to stretch it out. I had already planted the Plumbago but this was my way of getting it up the wall. As it grew, I threaded the mesh with the new growth. Here it is after two years (and it was pruned a couple of months ago). Time for another pruning but I HATE  cutting off the flowers which hold their blossoms for a very long time.

image.thumb.jpeg.3b25547b6ec7754628a7ae60a4325a24.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Great medicinal powers too (external use)!  Early 2000's got a VERY nasty cat bite.... nobody's fault... cat just terrified. Two deep bites into index finger right hand.  Antibiotics weren't touching it...... swollen, red, and painful. Swelling and discoloration then showed up  in thumb.

Gardener-handyman saw me favouring my "paw". Inspected, grabbed me, dragged me over to plumbago in full bloom and took a great gob of flowers only off. Dragged me to kitchen door.  "Put these in a small pot, bring to a boil, simmer a few minutes (result was a dark-looking "tea"), remove the flowers,  and as soon as you can barely tolerate it, get that part of your hand immersed in it and keep it there for 10 minutes. Reheat a little if starts to cool, and do it at least 3 times a day. 

At least that pretty much what I thought he said, with his mix of Spanish and across-the-lake home town dialect..... and must have been close because in about a week totally healing....... no redness, pain, or sign of infection. And never left even a teensy scar.                                     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Beware, plumbago "Plumbago auriculata irritates skin, irritates eyes, is harmful if ingested, causes an upset stomach and toxins are absorbed by the skin. Its fruit, bark, pollen, seeds, roots, seed capsules, foliage and sap are toxic." Heard of people suffering 'burns' where the sap has touched their skin.

• 11 months later...

Will plumbago grow without a wall? I have a beautiful hibiscus hedge but sadly the ants and the drought have forced me  to replace the big gaps in the hedge. Hoping that the plumbago is the answer. Only like bouganvilla when it's on someone else's property. Too much maintenance. 

Yes it can. It can be pruned into a bush but you'll have to stay on top of it otherwise it will grow into the Hibiscus you have left and take over.

p.s. I have also seen white Plumbago but I prefer the periwinkle blue against the green foliage.