Chapala.com Webboard

Firetruck

Probably a small percentage of people ever saw it, but there was a vintage firetruck displayed beautifully in front of the new nursery in Riberas. It was on top of a 4ft high mound of dirt with plants inside of it and grass planted all around it

I drove by it this morning and thought to myself how nice a job they did and how classy the new nursery was looking.

Then my on  next drive by, I saw two huge tow trucks parked  with lights flashing....hmmmm

Third time by they had hooked the firetruck up to one of the tow trucks and had already moved it the the edge of the mound while two men were lifting up the squares of the new grass

Final pass, the firetruck is gone as well as the complete mound of dirt it was parked on.

Sooo I'm guessing some government agency took exception to the firetruck and made them move it ?

Which is a shame because it was well away from the bike path.

And that's the short life of the vintage firetruck in Riberas...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cricket said:

The new nursery was located on Federal Land with permission.  Nothing to do with the firetruck itself.  

Perhaps you meant "WITHOUT" permission. There was a post on FB about the nursery being removed due to it's location being on Federal Land.

7 hours ago, cricket said:

The new nursery was located on Federal Land with permission.  Nothing to do with the firetruck itself.  

Wow, its almost unbelievable that they would put soo much effort into building that nursery illegally, so I guess the whole place will be gone. What a shame and waste of time and money building that place. It was previously a yard for selling dirt and gravel for many years, I wonder if they were kicked out too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Wow, its almost unbelievable that they would put soo much effort into building that nursery illegally, so I guess the whole place will be gone. What a shame and waste of time and money building that place. It was previously a yard for selling dirt and gravel for many years, I wonder if they were kicked out too

Well, if it was illegal, considering how long they were there they must have saved a *ton* of money on land lease and/or purchase. Like the old saying goes, it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

Fascinating, I had no idea that land along the carretera in the developed part of the area could be Federal.  

I remember the original Lety's restaurant started out as a squat, then some sort of deal with the municipio, then went on to the present nice location.  Lety is no longer with us, God rest his soul, but the restaurant lives on with the same great shrimp it has had for many years.

13 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

thatFascinating, I had no idea that land along the carretera in the developed part of the area could be Federal.  

I remember the original Lety's restaurant started out as a squat, then some sort of deal with the municipio, then went on to the present nice location.  Lety is no longer with us, God rest his soul, but the restaurant lives on with the same great shrimp it has had for many years.

That was also on Federal land and they had been warned many times before the Feds went in with heavy machines. Lety saved much rent money by being there for years. BTW, Lety was one of the Paz sisters and ran that restaurant with the help of her son. When she moved to the US her son, Manuel, took over the management of the restaurant. He is the one who passed away a few years ago.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 6:22 AM, cricket said:

Funny, I walked by today. Looks like they moved the truck to redo the front gravel parking area. Lots of remodeling going on…

39AF713B-510A-4CE2-8AD4-4569B0356EE6.jpeg

• Like 2