Chapala.com Webboard

Telemarketing calls

Unfortunately I've suddenly been targeted with telemarketing calls everyday, and every time I block the number ...but they seem to have an unlimited supply of numbers to call from.  Other than giving up my number and starting over, what can be done ?

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

does your phone identify calling number before you pick up?   if yes,   just don't answer??

Yes, but I don't always have my phone attached to me ( preferably ) but within hearing range, so I have to see who's calling and I much prefer not having to go through the process of hanging up on them two times and going into the menu to "block this caller". Who enjoys that routine ?

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I think there are also options on most phones to block numbers that are not in your contacts, that are spam numbers, or to at least ask you if you want to block an incoming call from a number you don't recognize.

I will check that out, thanks

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

so I have to see who's calling and I much prefer not having to go through the process of hanging up on them two times

I don't really understand what you mean by that. If you hear the phone ring and don't answer it, you can see the number that called in your call log and if it says "unknown", you can be pretty sure it's a spam call.

10 hours ago, MtnMama said:

This is from several years ago. You can block your number by putting yourself on the do not call list for financial institutions every 2 years here: https://webapps.condusef.gob.mx/reus/app/registro.jsp and for regular marketing calls here: https://repep.profeco.gob.mx/

That sounds great ! I will check that out

I had the same thing.  It lasted a few days and when I finally picked up the phone, I didnt speak and held the phone in front of a German talk radio.

It was their last call.

I know that it was a cruel thing to do, but hey.....à la guerre comme à la guerre

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You're nicer than I am Rony. I put the phone on speaker and then use my fingers over my tongue to blast a whistle at them. It's really loud. Hockey players could hear it on the ice from the nose bleed section of the arena.

• Like 2

You have to fold your tongue back and press down on it with your fingers but your finger tips have to touch forming a V. Take a deep breath and exhale through your mouth with your lips taut. I, unfortunately, learned how to do this in a science class. Got detention for a month.

Yes, I know how it's supposed to be done, a friend who can do it at ear-shattering volume tried to teach me, but I just can't do it. My tongue doesn't fold back like that.

I can't vibrate my tongue to make the Spanish double r sound either. And that has nothing to do with it not being a sound in my native language- it's something kids used to do when playing cars when I was little, and I never could do it.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:08 PM, MtnMama said:

This is from several years ago. You can block your number by putting yourself on the do not call list for financial institutions every 2 years here: https://webapps.condusef.gob.mx/reus/app/registro.jsp and for regular marketing calls here: https://repep.profeco.gob.mx/

Four calls this morning at 8 am, all different numbers....

Profeco asks for my number, first the "LADA" then the number....

What is "LADA" ??  is says that 045 and 044 are not "ladas"

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally was able to enter my cell number into the "no call" system

After researching , the area code ( "Lada")  of a local cell number is the first TWO numbers not three.

According to Wikipedia, Only Mexico city, Monterrey, and Guadalajara have two digits as the area code, the rest of Mexico has three digit area codes. 

This explains why I always hear local Mexicans reciting their numbers is sets of two. I'm still in the habit of reciting my number as xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Anyone expats recite there numbers as the locals do ?