Chapala.com Webboard

me4mexico

me4mexico

20 hours ago, me4mexico said:

Has anyone in the Chapala Area obtained and successfully installed the Black Box/ MyTV system?

I would say get a mini pc connected to your TV.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/aw/d/B099KSJN8P?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Install a dns changing software and nord vpn (very easy user interface). Then you can watch BBC for free and also use any usa streaming service outside of Google TV ( it's very picky about vpn). Tubi  is free and there are other free services. I use hulu live TV with unlimited dvr (cloud). I move around with other paid services binge and cancel then on to another. Acorn, britbix are good ones. Hbo+, stars, paramount all are good to watch then cancel.

It's easy to hook up and let's you watch everything like your in america.

16 hours ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

I would say get a mini pc connected to your TV.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/aw/d/B099KSJN8P?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Install a dns changing software and nord vpn (very easy user interface). Then you can watch BBC for free and also use any usa streaming service outside of Google TV ( it's very picky about vpn). Tubi  is free and there are other free services. I use hulu live TV with unlimited dvr (cloud). I move around with other paid services binge and cancel then on to another. Acorn, britbix are good ones. Hbo+, stars, paramount all are good to watch then cancel.

It's easy to hook up and let's you watch everything like your in america.

I can do all of that (and more) on a $40 Android TV device.  

42 minutes ago, Ferret said:

And I can do all of that using my laptop and casting it to my TV. 

But your still using a computer. My way wife can watch and I don't have to have my comp working on tv while I play wrc or elite dangerous. Why I just use a small comp. And 250 is really nothing when looking at watching TV. 

Also on the android post above you can go to iPlayer BBC site with your stick and create a account?

Whatever works for you. I can watch BBC (BBC iPlayer - Home) using Nordvpn and putting my location in the United Kingdom. Since my laptop and my TV are located in my living room, it's no big deal. I can't see my laptop because it's behind me. However, I understand your reason for needing the mini pc.

edited to add: Too funny! I was still connected to the United Kingdom when I tried to post this message. Got a "site lock" notification and had to disconnect the vpn to be able to post this.

It is wonderful but very new for this area. Previously, we were all stuck with Telmex internet and it's pathetic offerings and customer service. With the arrival of iLox two years ago and now TotalPlay with its fast and consistently stable speeds, streaming is becoming very common place. That's why nearly everyone had Shaw Direct and a satellite dish along with the hefty monthly charge involved. I dumped Shaw in early 2016 and haven't looked back.  Now I've dumped iLox and Telmex too. Happy days!

On 6/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, Mexicoafterlife said:

But your still using a computer. My way wife can watch and I don't have to have my comp working on tv while I play wrc or elite dangerous. Why I just use a small comp. And 250 is really nothing when looking at watching TV. 

Also on the android post above you can go to iPlayer BBC site with your stick and create a account?

You're right, $250 is not a lot, but compared to a $40 streaming device...it is.  Another plus for the Android device is they are designed just for streaming and not much else, so the graphics chips are optimized for current HDR offerings, such as Dolby Vision etc....which as far as I know, the Intel 500 graphics controller doesn't support.  And there is an app on Google Play for BBC IPlayer, so I assume you can sign up on a streaming device.  All streaming devices support browsers, so anything you can do on a PC (browsing wise) you can do on a streamer.  It just seems odd to me to spend an extra $200 just to watch content over the internet, but hey, if it works for you....................

2 minutes ago, All Day said:

You're right, $250 is not a lot, but compared to a $40 streaming device...it is.  Another plus for the Android device is they are designed just for streaming and not much else, so the graphics chips are optimized for current HDR offerings, such as Dolby Vision etc....which as far as I know, the Intel 500 graphics controller doesn't support.  And there is an app on Google Play for BBC IPlayer, so I assume you can sign up on a streaming device.  All streaming devices support browsers, so anything you can do on a PC (browsing wise) you can do on a streamer.  It just seems odd to me to spend an extra $200 just to watch content over the internet, but hey, if it works for you....................

I used sticks before just never worked well.  And I like to be able to do anything i like not just what is supported by the device.  The video built in has met me mess around in elite dangerous before and that is somewhat hefty grafics game.  

I'm just one of those guys who doesn't like not being able to do everything on a device.  The pc allows that for me.  Like I said it's up to what people want.  And I can choose the programs I want which are usually easy ui stuff for my wife ro use because she isn't to hot with tech