Chapala.com Webboard

Baby possum found

possom make nice pets,This baby will eat dog or cat food I believe. Way back I felt an animal in bed with us and it did not feel like one of our cats so I turned on the light and there was a possum in our bed.. I put a basket over him and threw him out the window. The next night he came back so we called him Peter and later on Peter showed up hurt and with babies.. it was not peter but pierrette.. Our neighbor raised the baby. I try to shoo the poor thing but he or she escaped and probably died.. The neighbor gave a bath to the babies and they became his pets...

If you do not have killer dogs like one of mine here, let them live in your garden and they may or may not survive or give them a little food but it is bette to let them fend for themselves in nature..or talk to the vet. 

• Like 1

I have four big dogs and five cats - it's too late to call my vet - I tried to give him water from a dropper, but he won't open his mouth.  Put a piece of apple in with him and some cat food.  He just hides under part of the towel.  Found a dead possum on balcony, which my cats most likely kill.  I Googled lots of info - but he's only four to five inches long - so very young.   Have no idea where the Mother is - but she comes in nightly to my barn to eat the cat food. 

I hate just waiting for him to die!   

I have four big dogs and five cats - it's too late to call my vet - I tried to give him water from a dropper, but he won't open his mouth.  Put a piece of apple in with him and some cat food.  He just hides under part of the towel.  Found a dead possum on balcony, which my cats most likely kill.  I Googled lots of info - but he's only four to five inches long - so very young.   Have no idea where the Mother is - but she comes in nightly to my barn to eat the cat food. 

Mudgirl - The house cats don't get along with the barn cats - thus, I have no place to put them.  I have read that once the baby is away from the mom, she will not reunite with the baby.  Good idea though - thank you.  I finally got some water down the baby with an eye dropper - he is stubborn and won't open his mouth for me.  We have put in bugs, apple, cat food, cabbage, lettuce - he just hides under the towel.  The water should help her.  He is pretty strong and hasn't tried to bite me.  But still, very young.  Appreciate your care.

We also found a verrrrry small baby swallow pushed out of the nest.  Yes, they do eliminate the weakest.  But - after finding the dead opossum on my balcony - killed by my cats - I don't think that's the problem.  My cats just found their nest.  I finally gave him water.  Found some other bugs - he just hides in the corner under the towel.  Won't eat.  Just think there's no help out there.