Chapala.com Webboard

Honest thoughts about young family moving to Ajijic

20 hours ago, Zuli930 said:

I suspected sports and clubs would be separated from academics, so thank you all for confirming my hunch!

After reading your list of candidate cities/areas and your comments on clubs, it is obvious that money considerations are not a concern for your family. With that in mind, my suggestion for your Strong Consideration would be Queretaro, which has a very large influx of young people and families that work from the Internet.(more coming every day) Yes, it is an expensive city(yet much cheaper than SMA), very modern, but with a beautiful Centro Historico, excellent year round weather (except April/May, which is hot everywhere in Mexico). Excellent/modern private schools, many beautiful and safe areas to live, with all amenities/parks, etc. Lots of modern sports activities available for all ages. Excellent medical/dental/hospital/airport/transportation. I think that once you look into Queretaro, the more you will feel it is where you will want to be.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zuli930 said:

Hi mudgirl- yes, we are looking all around. Merida in Yucatán is on our radar, for instance. Querétaro, Puebla, San Miguel de Allendale is probably getting too popular too fast, sayulita...huatulco is probably too isolated for us but if internet was faster there we'd be very interested. 

Is there somewhere specifically you were thinking of? Thanks!

I would certainly consider Meridia, try contacting a real estate company and ask the same question ref kids school etc and internet services. I will be interested in reply

21 hours ago, Zuli930 said:

Merida in Yucatán is on our radar, for instance. Querétaro, Puebla, San Miguel de Allendale is probably getting too popular too fast, sayulita...huatulco is probably too isolated for us but if internet was faster there we'd be very interested. 

I assume you are aware that there are vast climate differences between those places, if climate is at all a factor in your decision.

37 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I would certainly consider Meridia, try contacting a real estate company and ask the same question ref kids school etc and internet services. I will be interested in reply

... and IF you do make sure you are aware of the climate there. It's a beautiful city and close to nice beaches BUT many would find the temps 8 months of the year too extreme.

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Humidity gets "unbearable" in Merida in the summer.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I lived in Jaipur/other parts of India so extreme heat and humidity is not a deal breaker for me. We currently live in the southeastern US where temps are already in 90s with 90% humidity so I think my family can adapt. I know the climate/topography/cuisine/even language is different between Jalisco and Yucatán. I guess they are too distinct to make any "apples to apples" comparisons. 

On 5/29/2022 at 1:06 PM, Mainecoons said:

Idk why this is here and I can't delete it, lol.

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

But Lakeside- sure, I'll let you know! Are you in a similar family-situation as me?

3 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Humidity gets "unbearable" in Merida in the summer.

If it were actually unbearable, no one would or could live there. 

Opinions about climate are completely subjective. I've heard people say "you can't survive" on the coast in the summer without AC. What they should say is that they couldn't survive without AC, because other people somehow manage to survive without it just fine. 

Check with the consulate as to "safe" areas and those which they recommend to avoid. There is much violence in Michoacan at the moment and the consulate advised staying 15 miles from that border.  As to the Yucatan, nice but subject to hurricanes as both coasts are. Merida and Querétaro are cities which you have stated are not something you care for. There is much research for you yet. I agree with many that Chapala might be just the place for you to start and get your feet wet here. There is a large park there where the kids can run and play and not so many of us old foreigners. BTW, Mexicans love children.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zuli930 said:

Hi everyone! I lived in Jaipur/other parts of India so extreme heat and humidity is not a deal breaker for me. We currently live in the southeastern US where temps are already in 90s with 90% humidity so I think my family can adapt. I know the climate/topography/cuisine/even language is different between Jalisco and Yucatán. I guess they are too distinct to make any "apples to apples" comparisons. 

Many people have found this helpful in moving to Mexico:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MexicoRelocationGuide

22 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

BTW, Mexicans love children.

The first time I came to Mexico, I was a 20 year old hippie travelling with my then boyfriend. The second time I came I was a 23 year old hippie with a one year old daughter. 

Got a totally different reception as a mom everywhere I went. And my toddler got a lot of attention and fussing over.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:28 AM, Zuli930 said:

Wow everyone, there is a lot to process here. Thank you!

yes, I think the kids going to a strictly Spanish-speaking school is ideal for us. I will look at Chapala center more closely. 

Dicho, thank you for relaying your personal experiences. Were your kids able to participate in any clubs/sports/extracurriculars? 

Most all of our friends are mexican in our church.  One friend just put her kids in Tae kwon do,,,,,spelled wrong sorry....3 days a week after school one hour for $400 pesos, $20US a month.  the other is in futball.  There are many activities offered, zumba, etc

• Like 1

I was recently visiting the Mexican Consulate in Miami (The service there is fantastic , a renewed passport in 40 minutes appointments in 1 day!!!) and I saw for the first time a Mexican mum and dad reading to their kids, probably 7 - 12 years old. And then the kids reading ,looking at one of those fold out "education" books. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen kids at Lakeside independently  reading. I have never seen Mexican parents sitting down and reading with their kids. That is a BIG problem in Mexico, period.

Regardless were you relocate , its important that your children are "happy" in their new school.

Most parents interest their kids in reading by reading to them in bed not outdoors in a public environment. More and more parents in Mexico are able to read themselves and pass down the love of reading in return. It's the cost of books that deter many. imho, there are far too few public libraries in Mexico. Teaching a child to read unlocks a whole word of learning how to do many things. Unfortunately the youtube video is taking over as a source of such knowledge. Pity.

• Like 1

Kids are reading on the internet all the time, watching videos, playing games and so on, things are changing.. and yes books are and were wonderful but lets face it everything is changing and just because people use internet , it does not mean they are illiterate. Actually phones have done more to help kids read and write than any books. WHen I got to CHiapas 15 years ago cell phones were rare and many women would ask me to read their messages because they could not read, now I know 2 women who cannot read their messages and they use the audio...