Chapala.com Webboard

Mabe brand appliances

Looking to buy a new dryer and sales rep at Coppel recommended Mabe because they have local technicians who can do repairs, while other brands (Whirlpool, Samsung, LG, etc.) requires techs from Guadalajara. I've never owned anything from Mabe. How's the quality of Mabe products?

I've had exclusively Mabe appliances- stoves and fridges. They are good, in my experience. Both my first stove and fridge lasted 10 years with no problems whatsover. And the fridge still worked fine, but the seal was hard and brittle after 10 years and was not replaceable. I would have had to find an entire new fridge door new or in good condition. As I wanted a larger fridge anyway, I just bought a new one.

In contrast, no local appliance repairmen worked on Samsung appliances- I had to track down a Samsung technician when my washing machine stopped working, by calling a Samsung dealer and getting the name of the technician they use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm sure the OP is going to get wildly differing opinions, but my Mabe stove and fridge were not the higher end models and I had zero issues with them. Higher end models, regardless of the brand, often have more problems- the more bells and whistles, the more things that can go wrong. 

However, I would never go to Tio Sam's to buy an appliance. I always do comparison shopping and Tio Sam's prices have always been at least 10% higher than the exact same item sold elsewhere.

Funny story- my neighbors had bought a new fancy fridge/freezer combo, with water and ice dispenser, think it was Whirlpool. One day she goes to get a glass of cold water and the lever won't move, it's jammed. She thinks, "Oh, great, we've only had it 2 months and it's already broken". On closer inspection, a giant toad had wedged itself up behind the lever.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I think you'll find better quality at Costco than at Coppel.

??? Costco may carry items that aren't available anywhere else, but the same brand and model of an appliance you can find elsewhere isn't going to be of lesser quality if you buy it somewhere other than Costco.

And that wasn't the OP's question. He wanted to know people's experience with Mabe brand products.

Coppel doesn't carry the same stuff as Costco.  Costco is higher end.

The OP is looking for ideas as his post right above yours makes plain.

It is not necessary for you to "coach" anyone on hot to respond to an information thread.  Particularly since this is a local discussion and you don't live here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mainecoons said:

Particularly since this is a local discussion and you don't live here.

Costco and Coppel are not exclusive to your area, nor do the products they carry vary from area to area.

Of course I wouldn't suggest to check out the mom and pop appliance store I like to patronize, as it would not apply to Lakeside.

Mabe are a standard joke-which is maybe they will work maybe they won't. Some Mabe appliances I have used were good-some weren't but they are usually cheaper. I had a Mabe fridge that was a dud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Costco and Coppel are not exclusive to your area, nor do the products they carry vary from area to area.

No one posted contrary.  We really can figure this out on our own although Costco in the U.S. do vary some product offerings depending on location.  Have no idea if they do the same in Mexico.  The main point is they do usually offer more higher end appliances and might be worth a look.

Have not had your experience with Tio Sam either.  We bought several items there after shopping around, they offer a nice discount for cash and they deliver and set up.  I would recommend the OP check them out as well.

• Like 1

Local service guy Gualberto Real has been great for my 3-door bottom freezer Whirpool fridge , plus my 11 yr old Whirlpool washer. I can't say about Samsung but a lot of people have recommended him on this board for various brands, so I would not  let Coppel's opinion influence me. They might simply make more $$$ on Mabe.

You couldn't GIVE me a Mabe anything..........   

And yes, the appliance place in Riberas is a great place to shop. That's where both of my items mentioned came from.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Tio Sam has top line appliances.

They have some, yes. But they also had the exact same Mabe stove I bought at La Comer for 1000 pesos less than what Tio Sam's had it priced at. It really does pay to shop around unless money is no object or it's something no one else carries.

38 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

They have some, yes. But they also had the exact same Mabe stove I bought at La Comer for 1000 pesos less than what Tio Sam's had it priced at. It really does pay to shop around unless money is no object or it's something no one else carries.

Absolutely.  It is amazing how wide the disparity can be for the same item here.  Interestingly, some times the price is less here than GDL, sometimes more.

We wanted a Wolf range, Tio Sam imported it.  At that time we didn't have a clue where to go in GDL to comparison shop and that level of appliance was impossible to find locally.  

One thing I've found is that a lot of expats, unless they have been here a long time or are comparison shoppers, just assume that they will get a better deal from a big box store, because that's how it is up north. But that isn't necessarily how it is in Mexico. A lot of small mom and pop businesses here own the building where their store is, they may live upstairs or in the back, or another dwelling on the property. All the people who work in the store may be family. So they don't have the overhead that the big stores do, and often they have better deals on the same item that you saw in a big box store. They may also quote lower delivery prices. 

As well, whether you are shopping at, for instance, Tio Sams or some independent little appliance store, shopping locally not only supports the people who live in your community, once they get to know you, because you are a loyal customer, they will often offer you a discount, or free delivery. 

A friend once turned me on to a fairly local appliance store, about a half hour's drive from where I live. I had never noticed their store before, as it doesn't have any noticeable signage or window display. But when I was in the market for a new fridge, and had looked a lot of places, writing down models and prices, I found one I had seen at Home Depot, an hour away, that they told me they would charge 700 pesos delivery for, for not only less money, but when I asked them what their delivery charge was, they said, oh, we don't charge for delivery- just tip the driver. Now I always check them out when I am in the market for something, and while they don't always have what I want, I have bought a lot of stuff from them, they know me, and always give me good deals. Plus they are really nice people, who always remember my name, greet me warmly, and I am happy to support them. Shopping locally does pay off, even if you might not think so to start with. 

• Like 2

We always bought appliances from Tio Sam's. LG has some of the highest rated washers and dryers and refrigerators. Samsung not so much. GE in the middle. This from Consumer's Reports. Newer LG french door refrigerators have "craft ice" ice makers that make round ice cubes.

• Like 1

yes, mom and pop stores are cheaper.  I go to them all the time and avoid Walmart unless there is one item i cannot get elsewhere.  All our mexican friends say the Oxxos are more expensive also.  One time we went to the new Vevero in riberas on the mountain side, got a quote for a 5 foot Tabachin tree, $2,800 !!!!! ($140 US)    Went down the road to another one,,,,same tree....$120 pesos ($6).....lol....better shop around.  Us, like many probably, when we first moved here we think the prices are pretty cheap, at least reasonable, then when you have friends with the locals, you realize how much you are paying through the nose!!!  Went to the "gringo" chopo lab...got a quote for 3 tests....then went to my lab in Chapala.....one third the price for the same 3 tests !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Shag said:

yes, mom and pop stores are cheaper.  I go to them all the time and avoid Walmart unless there is one item i cannot get elsewhere.  All our mexican friends say the Oxxos are more expensive also.  One time we went to the new Vevero in riberas on the mountain side, got a quote for a 5 foot Tabachin tree, $2,800 !!!!! ($140 US)    Went down the road to another one,,,,same tree....$120 pesos ($6).....lol....better shop around.  Us, like many probably, when we first moved here we think the prices are pretty cheap, at least reasonable, then when you have friends with the locals, you realize how much you are paying through the nose!!!  Went to the "gringo" chopo lab...got a quote for 3 tests....then went to my lab in Chapala.....one third the price for the same 3 tests !!!

It definitely pays to "shop around", unless you have money to throw away, as some do.

• Like 2

Back to the original question.....

We bought a top end Mabe gas stove and kept it three years before we replaced it. In fact threw it in the trash.

It had no insulation so was inefficient and the exterior got so hot we had to use a towel to work the controls. Their engineers cleverly put all the control knobs on the top, front. After a month some of the button controls popped out  on the floor from the heat.

The final straw was when the outer glass door on the oven exploded and showered my legs with pieces of glass.

SunFan