Chapala.com Webboard

RFC Number

25 minutes ago, ezpz said:

OK, now I am confused.

If you never applied for an RFC number, you don't have one. Banks, car dealerships, etc, cannot apply for an RFC number on your behalf. All the RFC numbers on your documents would be generic RFC numbers, which those entities use if you don't provide them with an official RFC number, which is why they are not all the same.

As I explained earlier in the thread, an official RFC number will start with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the firsqt 2 letters of your first name, then your birthdate  (YY/Mo/day- 6 numbers- if the day is the 4th, it will read 04), then a letter and 2 numbers (these could be anything- they differentiate your RFC number from someone else's, as 2 people could have the same initials and birtthdate)

4 hours ago, sunshineydays said:

Need for avoiding capital gains tax on sale of property.

the notario told me I needed a constancia de situación fiscal of the RFC and a constancia de no adeudas de CFE and SIMAPA so it is more than just the RFC on the bill.

26 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

an official RFC number will start with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the first 2 letters of your first name, then your birthdate  (YY/Mo/day- 6 numbers- if the day is the 4th, it will read 04), then a letter and 2 numbers.

It appears to be more convoluted than that.

Mexico - Tax ID Number (RFC) - Sayari Learn

This link states that one of the options is the RFC begins with the first consonant and first vowel of the last name. That is consistent with my RFC which starts SABO, not SHBO. There are different options if a maternal name is used.

A room full of bureaucrats must of spent weeks coming up with this.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bmh said:

the notario told me I needed a constancia de situación fiscal

SAT changed a lot of their regieme at the beginning of this year. As someone who has run a business in Mexico for 16 years, and had an RFC all that time, the income reporting I have done all these years has changed in the way one does it, when it is reported and which taxes are paid when, my tax category has changed, etc. One thing I had to do was generate a new Constancia (which my accountant did on my behalf), and the businesses I deal with for my supplies required me to submit my new Constancia.

These new regs are not just for residents who don't earn money in Mexico- SAT has made sweeping changes to the whole system.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

A room full of bureaucrats must of spent weeks coming up with this.

Yes, Mexico loves paperwork, the more the better. I always thought it was funny that even as more and more of their govt. entities become computerized, they seem to still love to have voluminous stacks of paper on their desks - it's like a security blanket or they think it makes them look important.

Not specific to Mexico, though. Many non-first world countries do this. Lot of petty potentates exercising their tiny bit of power.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, Mexico loves paperwork

Remember when all FM3 renewals required a copy of every passport page even when blank? Every year. Year after year.

Raised seals were another favorite for notarized documents. Had a friend who presented a notarized document with the usual ink stamp. Rejected. He pulled out an old Woodworkers of America raised seal stamp, affixed it to the document and it was accepted.

Unfortunately SAT is probably the worst agency in the Mexican government to deal with followed closely by SEMARNAT which deals with concessions along the coast.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

If you never applied for an RFC number, you don't have one. Banks, car dealerships, etc, cannot apply for an RFC number on your behalf. All the RFC numbers on your documents would be generic RFC numbers, which those entities use if you don't provide them with an official RFC number, which is why they are not all the same.

As I explained earlier in the thread, an official RFC number will start with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the firsqt 2 letters of your first name, then your birthdate  (YY/Mo/day- 6 numbers- if the day is the 4th, it will read 04), then a letter and 2 numbers (these could be anything- they differentiate your RFC number from someone else's, as 2 people could have the same initials and birtthdate)

Then I have an official RFC # which I don't really need. This could be the case with many people

30 minutes ago, cedros said:

Then I have an official RFC # which I don't really need. This could be the case with many people

??? But you do need it. It is now required of everyone except tourists. And you might be surprised at what entities will now start asking for it, because it will be required for them to put it on any paperwork that is issued to you.

39 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Remember when all FM3 renewals required a copy of every passport page even when blank? Every year. Year after year.

Yes, I remember that well. It was so absurd. Nothing like killing trees for no reason. 

As for SAT being the worst govt. agency to deal with, my experience has been the exact opposite. They have always been really helpful, the people who work in their offices seemed well-informed, and totally polite. They explained things patiently and thoroughly and when I had, for instance, missed a payment I owed because my bank website was down and I couldn't make a payment on time, they said no problem, and quickly generated a new form with a new due date. They had a room full of computers for clients like me who filed their own taxes, with agents who would sit with you and walk you through how to fill out all the required declarations. I also used to be able to make an appointment, no problem. It's only since Covid that getting an appointment appears to be impossible and things aren't working well on their website. I suspect so many people are trying to get info, generate RFCs, etc. now, that their website is getting jammed up. 

1 hour ago, bmh said:

You may not need it but oviously sat thinks you need one so lets see who wins that one..

Sat has nothing to do with me having one as far as I know.

3 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

??? But you do need it. It is now required of everyone except tourists. And you might be surprised at what entities will now start asking for it, because it will be required for them to put it on any paperwork that is issued to you.

Yes, I remember that well. It was so absurd. Nothing like killing trees for no reason. 

As for SAT being the worst govt. agency to deal with, my experience has been the exact opposite. They have always been really helpful, the people who work in their offices seemed well-informed, and totally polite. they explained things patiently and thoroughly and when I had, for instance, missed a payment I owed because my bank website was down and I couldn't make a payment on time, they said no problem, and quickly generated a new form with a new due date. I also used to be able to make an appointment, no problem. It's only since Covid that getting an appointment appears to be impossible and things aren't working well on their website. I suspect so many people are trying to get info, generate RFCs, etc. now, that their website is getting jammed up. 

Time will tell whether or not I need a RFC #

7 minutes ago, cedros said:

sat has nothing to do with me having one.

What are you talking about? SAT has everything to do with you having one. It is the agency that issues them and makes the rules about who needs one. And also makes the rules about which businesses will be required to ask you for your RFC number and enter it on any paperwork they give you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

What are you talking about? SAT has everything to do with you having one. It is the agency that issues them and makes the rules about who needs one. And also makes the rules about which businesses will be required to ask you for your RFC number and enter it on any paperwork they give you.

I have never been anywhere near Sat or had any dealings with them.

7 hours ago, sunshineydays said:

Need for avoiding capital gains tax on sale of property.

the notario told me I needed a constancia de situación fiscal of the RFC and a constancia de no adeudas de CFE and SIMAPA so it is more than just the RFC on the bill.

11 minutes ago, cedros said:

I have never been anywhere near Sat or had any dealings with them.

all they have to do to enforce it with expat is have immigration demand it on their requirements and lets see who has the last word on that one. Cedros do not be so sure SAT cannot tell you what to do , they are the IRS of Mexico and they get what they want.

• Like 2

It's possible that if a person ignores this new requirement, it might not catch up with them for a long time, depending on what things they do and what paperwork they needed to fill out for various things. 

But it's like people who continue to drive an illegal car around. It's all good until you happen to get stopped for some or no reason- the vehicle can be confiscated. And I guarantee you that a SAT official won't be accepting a 200 peso mordida to let you off the hook, like a transito might. 

When I first started my business many years ago I hired an accountant, as I had no idea how to report my earnings and file my declarations. After about 8 months, I realized that what she was doing and charging me 400 pesos a month for (this was back in 2004) was something I could easily do online myself in about half an hour, so I told her I didn't need her services anymore.

About another 8 months later, a SAT official showed up at my shop, saying I had a missing tax payment from January. As I had been diligent about submitting my paperwork and paying the required taxes, I realized that January was the last month I had been using the accountant- she had not submitted the last tax payment I had given her. The amount was 200 pesos. 

At that point, the nearest SAT office to me was in PV, an hour's drive. I said to the guy, "They sent you all the way here for a missing 200 pesos? It cost that much in gas and whatever you earn per hour for you to come here." He laughed and said I was right, it didn't make much sense. But I did have to go to the bank and pay that 200 pesos.

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Do you belive everything that you read?

Lets face it by forcing people to get a RFC number they are just trying to get more control over people and keep a closer eye on money laundering and make more money

• Like 1

Well Cedros..welcome to reality..The government wants more control  and more money how different is it from all other governments.

YlFrankly if you are not a citizen you have nothing to say and if you are one you have nothing to say either..If they wsnt you to hsve avalid RFC you ebentually willhave to have one and in the meanwhile have fun.