Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking Grass seed

Need a very small amount of grass seed (+/-  1/2  cup) of the type that produces individual blades as opposed to the more common "running" type like you find in most sod.

Anybody have ideas?  I did buy some years ago in Joco, but hate to go all that way, and don't even know if store is still there.  Gracias

• Natasha changed the title to Seeking Grass seed

I have a box labeled "Fetusca Alta" tall fescue.  It reads it is a "performance blend" for sunny locations.  It also says it is tolerant of dry.

You are more than welcome to a cup or two if you can use it.  I have far more than will need.

PM me.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, artsnob said:

I bought some great seed from Amazon Mexico, It is coming up now Extra heavy duty looks great with my other grass

How do you apply this? I have a large lawn that I maintain with a sprinkler that now has a few barren areas. Do you spread out the seeds and hope for the best? do you water the area? Also with the rainy season not far away, will the the seeds get washed away. I have a father and son gardener team but mostly just for maintenance, raking leaves and trimming. I will talk to them about this but hope to get a little feed back here first. Gracias 

It's not for usual purpose.  I need to grow some grass in a large tray for my cats to nibble on 😻.... now that we have a totally safe / contained inner "catio".  Mainecoons has kindly filled that need.

But when you want infill, put down the seeds with a very light soil cover sprinkled over, cover lightly with something like burlap (single layer), Remay cloth ( if you can find it) or anything else that allows free passage of water and air but prevents seeds from washing away even when you are sprinkling.  Water carefully daily so seeds don't dry out and bake.

Get that done soon because seed needs to be germinated and "up". Otherwise won't matter what you cover them with.... they won't take hold.

11 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

why not use pregrown sod …it’s available all over town …costs next to nothing..comes ready to use and easy to replace

Already have that but the "runners" it sets out are a problem. As I mentioned above, this is for CATS to nibble on when in enclosed patio area so they leave other plants alone. And fescue-type grass blades will be much more to their liking as it's  similar to "cat grass" you can buy NOB. For the amount I need I can manage it well.  Thanks all the same.