Chapala.com Webboard

Santa Came Early

Starlink experience, first day of using:

We just had the base w/dishy installed on our roof after running the obstruction test. We ran the obstruction test, found a spot that Starlink "liked" and installed it.

The whole thing is actually easy  to install and very technodino-friendly. In the past, we would get 13-15 mbps on a good day. Now...zooooom! It does seem to slow a bit after that initial test, but it is knocking it out of the ballpark. We'll give it a trial period to make sure we haven't overlooked anything and then once we're comfortable, we'll do a happy dance and totally cut the cord with TELMEX. 

Just for info:  from order to arrival, it took 9 days. The system cost  $795.22 and the monthly charge will be $110. Yes, it's higher than a lot of the others but frankly, I don't care. It will be fantastic to watch something on TV and not have it buffer every 20 seconds or to be able to use the computer without cursing when it freezes because the internet is in/out/in/out/in/out again. 

I am a very happy camper!

Screenshot_20220430-135434_Starlink.jpg

• Like 5

Good for you. That is great speed. All I have is Telmex.  Luckily I only live a few blocks from Telmex and the telephone lines are OK so I get up to 45 Mb/sec down by about 2 up with a ping of close to 17 .

It aint as fast, but the price is right, less than $500 pesos per month

• Like 2

Holy shi*!

I know this isn't permanent (and I promise NOT to post more tests), but to see such numbers after years of frustration...

Pete:  we were getting semi-decent speeds for a while when the fiber optics went into the new hotel on the carretera, but then the usual low standards returned. Since we use Firestick for our TV, the buffering was getting bad. This is definitely not for everyone but I'm so glad we bit the bullet.

(Edited because I type faster than my brain cells can connect.)

Screenshot_20220430-155344_Starlink.jpg

It all depends on how much TV you watch. We have a 20 year old analog TV that we haven't turned on in years. We occasionally watch something on the computer but not often enough to pay $110 USD a month. I have Telcel and get about 10 mgs for $399 pesos a month. Very reliable, and does a decent job of buffering.

I build my first satellite dish for TV in 1986. In those days my 10 foot dish came in kit form and I had to build the darn thing. And I have been getting most of my TV via satellite ever since. Up north, our condo provides DirecTV, Down here the best provider is Shaw Direct.

Yes I stream, but most of my TV comes via one of my satellite dishes, here lakeside.

MtnMama:  in your case, it wouldn't be worth it.  We have the Firestick for our TV and while the selection is great, the constant buffering is not. Our computers often froze or moved so slowly that it was a no-brainer decision for us. While we often got speeds a bit higher than yours from TELMEX, the consistency was non-existent. We had DISH for the longest time, but the prices kept going up and up so we cut the cord and went with Firestick. Yeah, bad decision in hindsight but it's worked out finally. Since we have cell phones, we can completely cut the cord with TELMEX. YMMV

Pete:  I'm in awe that you built your first satellite dish. I know Shaw is the best option down here, but it's not quite right for us. 

Again, while this isn't for everyone for many, many reasons, it's wonderful to have options. 

• Like 1

Congrats Tingting! Whatever works for you! One of the highlights of the last two years was going into the Telmex office and cancelling the service. There were three of us in there that morning at the same time... all of us were cancelling. I also cancelled iLox. I am extremely happy with TotalPlay but am also delighted that there is yet another alternative out there. Thanks to both you and Lou Quillo (sp?) for posting your experiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1